“Old, but so beautiful!”

The Read House Historic Inn And Suites
Ranked #23 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We arrived in Chattanooga after a 9 hour drive from Chicago and, of course, were really tired and ready for a great meal and an even greater room. The Sheraton Read House was our destination and both meal and room met our expectations. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a HUGE jacuzzi room (which we did not use, but enjoyed the spaciousness of the room size), guess because we are Gold SPG members? The gentlemen that checked us in (can't remember his name - check in was Friday, March 30), was very gracious and polite and a pleasure to speak with, he even made reservations for us at Porter's Steak House in the hotel. The meal was well beyond our expectations, very delicious and mid to high pricey with "excellent" service. From now on, this hotel will be our destination for our trips to Florida. Loved it, loved it, loved it!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

Thank you for staying with here at the Historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in Chattanooga, TN - I am so very glad to learn that you enjoyed your visit. I would also like to recognize your SPG Gold status and thank you for your obvious loyalty to Starwood - your room upgrade was absolutely our pleasure! I am also pleased to know you enjoyed your meal in our award-winning Porter's Steakhouse - we pride ourselves on being the only restaurant in the downtown area that serves USDA Prime Beef. Please visit us again next time you travel our way from Florida - we would love to have you as our guests again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,596)

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at the Read House, except for that 3:45am fire alarm on a work night. UGH!!! However, it wasn’t the hotels fault but walking down from the 10th floor sucked big time early in the morning. The lobby was very nice with a grand piano and old fashion post office book (still in use) and the spin dial for the elevator floors. The room was pretty nice what you would expect from an older hotel. You could hear some street noises but it wasn’t too bad. I went to the indoor pool it was a nice warm temperature but barely four feet deep could get my full water aerobics workout done. The whirlpool was also warm but the jets where pitiful. The front desk was very nice and pleasant with check-in and explained where everything was located in the hotel. Housekeeping did a wonderful job! Valet gentlemen where efficient. The breakfast in the club lounge was very average and I have better but not a total waste. Oh and thanks Cecil for the recommendation on some excellent soul food in Chattanooga, Herman’s.

I would highly recommend this hotel for the history experience, customer service and nice overall quality, just remember very few hotels are perfect. However, the Sheraton Read House hotel provided me overall with a very pleasant stay. I will stay here again if given the opportunity.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

I am so very sorry that you were inconvenienced by the early, early morning Fire Alarm during your recent visit with us here at the Historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in Chattanooga, TN - unfortunately a Pull Station was activated by another guest for no reason and there was no fire. For what it is worth the individual was arrested. That aside I appreciate your kind comments about our staff and overall facility. I will let Cecil know that you appreciated his food recommendations but hopefully he also pointed you towards our award-winning Porter's Steakhouse, the only place in the downtown area that serves USDA Prime Beef. I hope we will have the opportunity to be of service to you again should your travels bring you back to Chattannoga. Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

I love this historic property. It's currently managed by Sheraton. They're doing a wonderful job of maintaining the building. The rooms are decent size with very comfortable beds. The bathrooms are smallish, but that's necessary to retain the historic character of the building.

The location is perfect. It's an easy walk to the Riverfront which is where a lot of the action is. There's also a courtesy electric shuttle to take you there if you're not in the mood to walk.

Warehouse Row is just a couple of blocks away.

There are plenty of restaurant options nearby. This is THE place to stay in Chattanooga. Don't miss it!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to post such wonderful comments about our Historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in Chattanooga, TN, and to learn that you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for recognizing the convenience of the Electric Shuttle; on ocassion some travellers forget that we are literally right on its main line and that it is a snap to get to the Riverfront areas as you suggest. As for Restaurants, I hope you had a chance to experience our award-winning Porter's Steakhouse - we are the only restaurant in the downtown area that serves USDA Prime Beef. If you did not then please do so on your next visit - thanks again for your business!

Reviewed April 4, 2012

My stay at this hotel was pleasant. It had a nice lobby with an old charm to it, clean, and impressive. The fitness center had good equipment, nice and bright. Has a business center as well but never used it, and a pool and jacuzzi (which seemed a bit dirty with what looked like gravel at the bottom..).

My room was nice although oddly laid out. It had two windows which were hard to get to because of furniture directly put in front of them. Also, noise in the walls early in the morning were disturbing.. Either from old pipes or construction.

The king size bed was divine! Very comfortable!

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't have a big middle wall with two windows on either side of it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Thank you for your recent visit to the Historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in Chattanooga, TN, and for taking the time to share some thoughts from your experience. I appreciate your comments about your room - many of our rooms have a similar layout due to the physical nature of the historic side of the building. I am glad you enjoyed our Fitness Center - the entire facility was renovated last August and every piece of equipment in there is new. Also, like you our customers love our "Sheraton Sweet Sleeper" beds. I apologize for the the cleanliness issue in our hot-tub - this has since been addressed. Thank you again for your patronage and I hope you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you again should your travels bring you back to the Chattannoga area.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

After staying at another historic hotel in the Chattanooga district, which has been previously reviewed, this hotel blows it out of the water!

It's rustic and historic heritage are preserved with a modern renovation and pleasant amenities.

Rooms were clean and spacious. The beds were extremely comfortable! Also, the pillows were oversized and luxurious.
Vaulted ceilings in my room and contemporary artwork and bathroom. See pictures for more images.

Fitness center was great. Free weights, new treadmills, and ellipticals.

Starbucks and nice restataunt on property. Still think the terminal down the road had better feel-good food, however this place felt upscale and didn't disappoint either.

The pool by itself is great. What wasn't great was the amount of kids in it at the time. Which created a loud environment versus a relaxing one...HOWEVER..on the flipside...this is a great pool for kids AND adults. It turns into an adult pool later in the evening.

Upgrading to Club lounge? Worth the price with breakfast in the morning and apps in the evening. Sodas, Coffee, and fresh fruit available all day long.

Only downside I could find was the hall to room noise was loud. It didn't help though with kids screaming up and down the hall.

Glad to find a new historic
Hotel in the Chattanooga district.

Tip: Find out advance where your room is!! They have two separate elevators!! One located in lobby, One located next to pool/fitness center. Saw people going to the wrong rooms all day long!!

• Stayed: April 2012

I want to thank you so much for your very kind comments about your recent visit with us here at the Historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in Chattanooga, TN, a mixture of classic Southern history and modern touches. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our facilities - we are particularly proud of our Fitness Center and Starbucks, both our which were fully renovated last summer. I am also glad you had a chance to use our Indoor Pool although I am sorry you were disturbed by some noise from youngsters using it at that time - not much I can do about that most of the time! I hope you will stay with us in the future - we look forward to meeting your expectations once again.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights, put on the third floor across from room "311" which has no room number. Apparently because someone died in that room decades ago. Might be an old wives tale, but some creepy things definitely happened while I stayed there, nonetheless. TV would suddenly go to static, the room would reek of cigarette smoke some times and other times not be able to smell it. Weird.

Anyway, take all that away (which could just be me being paranoid), the room was still not nice. It was very old, the comforter had what looked to be urine stains on it. It was only my GF who pleaded with me not to call down and become a "problem customer", so we just didn't use the comforter. The carpet had stains all throughout, the bathroom sink and toilet were extremely loud and old. Parking is valet only (around $20/day), the valets are very nice though. No breakfast included. Staff - extremely unforgettable except the valets.

The good things:

- Starbucks on site (a real starbucks)
- Lobby is beautiful, old, but very well kept (unlike rooms)

If I was staying in Chattanooga again, I would stay elsewhere. This hotel needs serious updating in their rooms. Happy to see SPG has two brand new hotels on the way.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit to the Historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in Chattanooga, TN. I want to apologize to you for the issues you identified about your room; while it is true that they are somewhat aged that is no excuse for the poor sanitation - I have had these addressed. As to the inferences about Room 311, I assure you there is no truth to any of the rumors you may have heard and we here do not put any stock in nor do we encourage such speculation. Thank you for your kind comments about our Lobby - which dates back to 1928 - and our Starbucks; we are very proud of both. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

I find that reviewers are much harder on upper end hotels - perhaps it is the money spent or perhaps the type of travelers have unattainable standards. I had nothing but wonderful experiences during my brief stay at the Sheraton Read House. The common areas are gorgeous and the front desk is prompt, courteous and efficient. The room was large, tastefully decorated and immaculately clean with the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on, a well lit and very clean bathroom and the hotel itself was very quiet and peaceful. The room was so clean that when I was doing pushups on the carpet it smelled as if it was recently shampooed! Housekeeping does a fantastic job keeping this large hotel in great shape. I truly appreciated the free wifi as many classier hotels charge for this ammenity that is vital to business travelers such as myself. It is a shame that the only option for parking is the $15.00 valet, however due to the location of the hotel it seems the only feasible way to provide parking. The gentlemen running the valet service are friendly, fast and great at their job. The Starbucks in the lobby was the icing on the cake. I would not hesitate to return if business brings me back to Chattanooga and encourage you to visit this lovely hotel!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank businesstraveler009
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Thank you for staying with us here at the Historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in Chattanooga, TN - but more so for taking the time to share your wonderful comments about your recent visit with us. It gives me such great pleasure to read this kind of feedback and to know you enjoyed your visit and our facilities. As you mentioned I certainly hope we have the opportunity to be of service to you again, so hopefully your future business travels WILL bring you back our way! Thank you again for your business.