“Luxurious and Friendly”

Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Baltimore, MD
“Luxurious and Friendly”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

After a long day of driving with a car full of Christmas presents, we were thrilled to pull into the garage which has 24 hour attendants who assured us everything would be safe. (It was!) The Front Desk was efficient and friendly, even giving us dining options for the late hour as the restaurant was already closed. We happened by some staff members who were quick to greet us. It was really all very pleasant, and we hadn't even made it to our room yet!

The room was lovely, bed very very comfortable, and as it started to rain, we glanced at the room service menu to find it surprisingly affordable, but service was only until 10 and it was 9:50? Would they take our order? Absolutely they did, happily and cheerfully. Twenty minutes later we were eating really good hamburgers (so nice that they come from the downstairs steak house!) and drinking beer in our room.

Best night of sleep in a hotel in a long time, impeccable service, and thanks to Priceline, quite reasonable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
Thank you so very, very much for taking the time to write such wonderful comments about your recent visit with us. It gave me such joy to read your account and I am so glad to learn you enjoyed your visit. Your kind feedback about our staff, your room and your Room Service experience was literally music to my ears! Thank you again for staying with us and I truly hope we will have the opportunity to be of service to you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Let's start with the hotel itself: An older building with a lavish, wood interior lobby that echoes a truely "swanky" feel. It was conveniently located for us within walking distance to anything we wanted to see in downtown Chattanooga and the room prices were very reasonable to be a holiday. The decor inside is dated in general (keeping the charm of the original design), but in a very good way, mixed with some modern design. It sports a nice exercise area with free weights, machines, etc., a nicely sized indoor pool, a Starbucks, and a nice restaurant (Good menu, overpriced drinks). It should also be noted that there is no onsite parking for the hotel itself except for valet (with a private lot) which will run you $15 a day and was worth it in my opinion. The valets had great attitudes and were very helpful.

The room we stayed in was a normal king room which was decently sized, and nicely decorated. Keep in mind that the building is old and it shows in the smaller details of the room which display the minor results of wear and tear, yet the room keeps its charm, and these small details will only matter to those who go in expecting a perfect, flawless room. I'm quite picky about details and they didn't bother me. Now, the issue...

I always give hotel rooms a quick inspection just to make sure and upon inspection of this particular room I found the vents on our AC unit were covered in black mold. Upon removing the entire front panel, I discovered the inside was also heavy with mold which had also spread to the curtains in a patchwork since they hang down far enough for the direct air to hit them. The room itself was spotless and I was quite confused how this could have been overlooked by anyone who tried to adjust the room temperature or clean the window.

Needless to say we were stuck between a rock and a hard place. All the hotels of this calibur in downtown Chattanooga were fully booked (New Years weekend) including this one. I brought this issue very calmy to the front desk which was handled by Mark, and a young woman whose name I don't remember. They showed genuine signs of being shocked to the point that it appeared almost like they were unsure how to handle the situation. To start with, they immediately pulled a technician away from another job and sent him to the room to clean the AC unit (Which required us not being in the room for an hour), and gave us $10 coupons to the Starbucks while we waited.

We're not the kind of people that go looking for hand-outs in situations like these, just a remedy to the problem, and as long as I can tell people are doing everything in their power to remedy the situation and I'm feeling cared for, then I'm usually happy with any outcome whether it be desirable or not. In this particular situation Mark put us into an execute jacuzzi suite (Which had no issues) to compensate for our first room, apologized for the problem, and offered any other help he could possibly provide during our stay. The entire situation was handled very professionally, quickly, and I felt very cared for as a guest which is what matters to me. The actions of Mark alone will bring us back to this hotel if we're ever in the area again, but we would have to leave if the situation presented itself a second time.

I'm sorry to say that I would expect other rooms might have this problem, and I hope our incident prompted a full scale investigation of each and every room's AC units. Even with this issue my wife and I would and will stay here again, and I would recommend anyone else staying here as well if they're in the area. Just inspect your rooms first as it's a good practice for any hotel you stay in.

Room Tip: Make sure to survey the room before unpacking.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BKrunners
Northern Virginia
Reviewed January 2, 2012

The Read House is an historic old building in downtown Chattanooga, where we decided to spend the new year celebration. Yes, it's gorgeous; yes, the staff are generally very good.

But if you like to sleep in darkness and quiet, this may not be the place. The light sources can be taped over (we carry opaque tape to cover all the little lights on TVs, smoke detectors, etc.), but the noise from the HVAC system was like having a small jet engine start up in your room every few minutes. The alternative is to leave it on all the time, and have a small jet engine constantly buzzing in your ear, or to turn the HVAC off and sweat to death. The hotel was heated well beyond comfortable, so we chose to wake up 20 times per night and keep the HVAC on.

Guests should note that while the HVAC is capable of delivering either heat or A/C, if the hot water pipe is turned on in the unit, it will either deliver heat or extreme heat. In other words, the pipes are close enough that the hot pipe overwhelms the cold one when you are trying to cool the room. You will need to ask the engineer to shut off the hot pipe to the unit to get cool air.

The bathroom was the other downside. It was only slightly larger than the bathtub, with no room to put anything out. And if you DO set out your toiletries? The shelf is directly over the loo, so make sure you close the lid, or you may be fishing for your razor.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback; while I was pleased to learn you felt our staff took good care of you I am very sorry for the challenges you experienced with your HVAC. As to our bathrooms, not all are the same size although those on the Historic Tower side do tend to be a bit smaller.
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We recently stayed here on our way to Florida. The hotel was a little off the beaten path, but we thought we'd take advantage of my Starwood Points and have a free night on the road.

This would be a great location for people that are needing a place to stay in the downtown area. We were so worn out after our long day of travel that we didn't venture out like we had planned.

The Club Floor Lounge had great evening snacks and a lovely hostess that evening. There was also a nice breakfast there in the morning and another nice hostess.

All the staff was very friendly. From the Valet, to check in, to bellman, and the maintenance guy. I don't really like Valet parking, as I've seen how some of those people drive car, but we had no option here. I did not object to the price, (how could I with a free room..lol..) and they were very prompt with the car.

We did have an issue with the room being hot and we could not get it to cool down. We called and then sent a very nice maintenance guy and he fixed the problem very quickly. He said that he just needed to turn the water down. Not your normal everyday type of heat and airconditioning, but considering the age of the lovely hotel, it makes sense.

As other reported, the size of the bathrooms are very small. I just wasn't prepared when I saw it, as we had to keep all our personal items outside of the bathroom.

The room was very comfortable and the bedding did not disappoint.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback - I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your December visit. I would particularly like to thank you for your very kind comments about our staff and our Club Lounge. As for your observations about our Valet Parking, it is true that we do not provide any self-parking; however, we are the only hotel with our own fully-controlled Parking Garage with unlimited ins-and-outs included in one price. Our customers do not have to run the risk of parking on the street nor deal with any inclement weather. Again, thank you for choosing us and I hope you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you again next time you travel through Chattanooga.
New York
Reviewed December 17, 2011

This hotel is conveniently located several blocks from Chattanooga's riverfront. The staff was very friendly. Our room, however, was not located in the older, historic, more ornate section of the hotel. I believe this was due to having reserved the room through a hotel discount website. The fitness room has new equipment and there's a nice pool. Most of the time, I had both to myself. For those who don't want to pay for parking in the hotel garage (valet parking, $15 per night), there is plenty of street parking, some unmetered, within several blocks of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit - I am very pleased to learn that you felt our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed our facilities. We are particularly proud of our Fitness Center which was fully renovated this past summer with all new equipment. With regards to your room assignment this can be based on the rate your are paying but also the specific requests, if any, as we do have multiple room types throughout both sides of the hotel. We do charge for Valet Parking but bear in mind that we are the only hotel in the downtown area that fully controls its own covered garage with unlimited ins and outs included in the same daily price. Our customers do not have to deal with any inclement weather nor run the risks of leaving their vehicle parked unprotected on the street. Thank you for staying with us and Happy Holidays!
Reviewed December 17, 2011

My family has been to this hotel on multiple occasions but this last time was the best of all.

First of all, let me say that I'm not a swimming kind of person....especially when the water is cold!! However, my family went down to check out the water and it was super warm (slightly cooler than bath water) yet refreshing. We played for over an hour in the pool!!

The room was comfortable and clean. The bed was super comfy and big enough for us all to share a bed.

Overall, it was a great experience. :)

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for your continued patronage - we really appreciate your repeat business. I am very pleased to know you once again enjoyed your most recent experience with us. Thank you especially for your thoughts about our Indoor Pool; we are quite proud of it and it gave me great joy to hear that you & your family took such good advantage of it! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Happy Holidays!
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed December 9, 2011

The Sheraton Read House is a lovely hotel, very gracious. Traveling with family for an overnight in Chattanooga, I decided to try one of those unseen price deals, and got an amazing price for this level of hotel. Upon entering, the lobby is absolutely gorgeous… very 1920s, ornate. The children and I made use of the pool, and it was delightful. There is a waterfall of sorts at the far end of the pool, and the water was warm. I didn’t use the exercise room, but I saw it, and it’s of a goodly size and looked very comprehensive in terms of equipment. We had room service in the morning, and while that’s never cheap, it was good. Our room was spacious and the bedding was very comfortable. Having read the other reviews about bathroom size, you have to put it in context for the time the hotel was built. (It isn’t on the National Register for Historic places for nothing. The hotel has a wonderful history, and from what I hear, people come from all over to stay in Room 311 to see if they can find some ghosties. Happy to say I didn’t encounter anything.) The staff was really lovely. I didn’t meet anyone who wasn’t helpful or friendly. The only little ding to the 5 stars was that the place could have used a slightly deeper clean in the bathroom and maintenance around the air conditioning unit… not that it wasn’t clean per se – but it looked like it was time for a deeper clean in crevices and under the sink, and some sealing around the air unit. But those were minor, and certainly nothing that would keep me from going back or recommending the place. One thing to note is that they do allow pets. Being that we have some bad allergies, I asked for them to put me in a room not occupied by any creatures and they did. We had no problem. The location is great, on Broad, not far from the river and the highway. (It is also across the street from a 24-hour diner, which had very good eats.) I’ve stayed in a few places around Chattanooga, and thus far this place is my favorite by far.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Paul M, General Manager at The Read House Historic Inn And Suites, responded to this review, December 17, 2011
I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to share your experience and for the very kind comments you have written. I am absolutely delighted to learn that you enjoyed your visit and most importantly that you felt our staff took such good care of you and your family. We are very proud of our historic heritage at the Sheraton Read House, built on the same grounds as the Crutchfield House which was used as a hospital during the Civil War. I apologize for the issues with your bathroom and a/c unit and appreciate you bringing these to our attention. I truly hope we will see you again soon if or when your travels bring you back to Chattanooga. Happy Holidays!