“Decent Hotel - Avoid the Restaurant Like the Plague”

Chattanooga Marriott Downtown
Ranked #15 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed January 25, 2011

This hotel is very clean and of the comfort and quality that you would expect from a Mariott. Beds are reasonably comfortable, linens are reasonable quality, staff is courteous and helpful.

The restaurant, on the other hand, is overpriced, has poor quality food, and disinterested service. Do your tastebuds and your pocketbook a favor and walk a block to the City Cafe Diner on Carter Street - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g54946-d652738-Reviews-City_Cafe_Diner-Chattanooga_Tennessee.html

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2011

I am very pleased to learn of your positive impressions and acknowledgment of our Marriott beds and courteous staff. It is with great pleasure to read how our team of professionals went the extra mile to make your stay with us more enjoyable.

I would, however, like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations in regards to your comment about our Terrace Grille restaurant. Believe me when I say your recent experience is the exception rather than the rule, as the vast majority of our guests feedback is very positive about our restaurant. Rest assured we will look into your comments and follow up with our staff immediately to correct any deficiencies.

From all of us at the Chattanooga Marriott, we look forward in welcoming you back to our property in the near future.

Reviewed January 18, 2011

We stayed at the Marriott this past weekend while we attended a Cheerleading competition. Our room was ready for check in much earlier than we expected and the check in process was so quick and easy. The staff at the hotel was extremely nice and it was actually somewhat quiet, considering that the hotel was sold out for the weekend and had so many cheerleaders! The restaurant at the hotel was so convenient, had friendly staff and the food was delicious. The valet parking was relatively inexpensive and they were very fast and helpful. The hotel was apparently very prepared for this weekend!! This is definitely the place to stay if you are going to attend the Athletic Nationals Cheer and Dance Competition in 2012!!

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gardensbygriffin
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center with your family for the Athletic Nationals Cheer and Dance Competition.

I shall certainly extend your great comments to our entire hotel team. It is very pleasing to read that our efforts to ensure a wonderful weekend are so warmly acknowledged.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Reviewed November 17, 2010

I rarely write reviews, but the staff at this Marriott was so exceptional that they need special mention. From the front desk to the room cleaners to the maintenance staff, they were all friendly, caring, efficient and went out of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Well done to the staff and the management at this hotel that his obviously instilled the importance of customer service.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Tracus
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center.

We are most appreciative of your charming feedback of appraisal of our team. We have a great team that does whatever it takes to create great memories for our guests. For all of this and more we sincerely thank you.

We certainly look forward in welcoming you back to exceed your expectations once again.

Reviewed October 25, 2010

The hotel for the most part was nice and offered the standard big downtown hotel stuff. My particular room was on the 5th floor and upon entering the room I could tell it was in need of attention. The carpet was worn/stained and ready for either a serious cleaning or replacement.

There was evidence of the previous guests' such as hair, urine, and other obvious signs of the last guest(s). The room had not been thoroughly cleaned in some time. Looked like it had been quickly cleaned in order to check it off the list of rooms to clean for some time.

I told the manager on duty, a fairly young man and a couple of housekeepers.

The manager acknowledged the situation but did not offer anything to offset the bad experience by way of discount of comp, which I thought was standard and/or appropriate in this case.

The housekeeper was pretty quick to offer that the staff was shorthanded and she was sorry. She and her supervisor cleaned my room again and it was better but some of the wear/tear is from years of service and simply cannot be quickly cleaned. The carpet especially.

I get the feeling there are some rooms needing updating and some staff needing to be hired to keep up with the pace.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2010

Thank you for your business, time and candid comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center.

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for your negative experience at our hotel. It is very unfortunate that our team did not meet or exceed your expectations in several areas. I can assure you that our management team has reviewed your comments in detail taking immediate steps to correct any deficiencies. We continue to improve daily as a result of direct feedback from our guests.

Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing to spend your time with us, as are looking forward to an opportunity in welcoming you back to our hotel for a better experience.

Reviewed October 13, 2010

I stayed here last week for a convention next door, and the hotel was great. Room was nice, bed was very comfortable, staff was friendly, and there were nice little things like coffee in the morning and cookies in the afternoon in the lobby. I was very impressed with the staff. I wanted to watch a hockey game on a channel that was not in the room, but the sports bar wasn't open yet. I spoke to the restaurant manager and he was nice enough to change the channel on the TV just outside the bar so that I could watch the game. I was also pleased that internet was free (a bit slow though) and prices in the restaurant were reasonable. That's unusual for a Marriott (or any higher tier brand), I've never figured out why you get free internet and breakfast at lower tier properties, but you pay up to $15 a day for internet at their higher tier ones!

The only negatives were that the iron in the room was in bad shape and was leaky, and the elevators were sometimes slow, but that is to be expected at a conference.

Overall, this is a really nice property in a surprisingly nice city!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank uncjibble
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2010

I am very pleased to learn of your positive impressions after your stay with us at the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay.

We are most appreciative of your acknowledgment that our hotel services and facilities went the extra mile to make your stay with us more enjoyable.

Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing to spend your time with us as we are looking forward to an opportunity in welcoming you back to our hotel property in the near future.

Reviewed October 4, 2010

I have stayed at this property twice and I was shocked on my second visit at the cleaning that has happened around this property. The first time we stayed at this Marriott, it was the only nice option downtown, but you would not want to walk around outside. This area of Chattanooga is going through quite the turnaround. The property is a great Marriott, but the improvements and efforts the state of TN has made in downtown Chatanooga (Aquarium/Wharehouse District Renovations)are now making a difference. The property is older, but is kept up nice and the staff was friendly and helpful. Plus as stated the area around this Marritot now offers several restaurant and shopping options. Plus walking down along the river and over the ped bridge is scenic and relaxing. If you are visiting this river city or heading to Rock City, Ruby Falls or Lookout Mountain, finish with a stay at the Downtown Chattanooga Marriott.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center while visiting our city.

I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that you regard our hotel to be the best in downtown Chattanooga. Thank you sincerely for your appraisal of our team, services and facilities. I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

We certainly look forward in welcoming you back to the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center in the very near future.

Reviewed September 29, 2010

I was in town for a convention and the Marriott was connected to the convention center so it was a great location. It wasn't a 5 star hotel by any means but it did have free wi-fi with a strong signal which was nice and a flat screen tv. Unfortunately there were not a lot of movie channels to choose from and the pay-per-movies were outrageously prices at $15 each but we made due. We were not in the room most of the time anyways. The only real bad thing I can say about this place is the AC in the rooms are way outdated and need upgrading terribly. When we walked in our room we immediately were hit by the warm air and went to the thermostat only to see it was on the coldest setting possible so we called for an engineer to come look at it. He replaced the filter because it was disgustingly dirty and we hoped it would be cooler by the time we came back from supper but it wasn't so we called again and the same man came to look at it. I will say he was a very nice guy but unfortunately couldn't get the dinosaur AC to do any better so he brought us a box fan...... yes, a box fan. It did help and I heard there were many other box fans being given out. I don't understand why these units are not replaced. Why jeopardize the entire reputation of the hotel because you replaced the tv's with flat screens but the rooms are too warm to enjoy watching them? Besides the AC, this place is a good hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2010

On behalf of our team at the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center we want to thank you for the comments you made regarding our staff and hotel.
I am very delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and for commenting on our hotel, nice location and friendly staff. Your kind recognition will be very well received.

I would, however, like to apologize for the uncomfortable temperature in your guest room. We can appreciate what an inconvenience this was for you, as this is certainly not the kind of experience that is on par with our hotel property. I would like to assure you that we pay careful attention to feedback such as you have provided, taking immediate steps to correct any deficiencies. Your comments will be forwarded to our Engineering Department for investigation and follow up.

Thank you for your time and business, as I look forward in welcoming you back to the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center once again.