“Excellent service.”

Chattanooga Marriott Downtown
Ranked #17 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had an excellent stay at the Marriott. Although the rooms were decent nothing out of the ordinary the staff made up for any aesthetic short comings. I have stayed at some beautiful hotels (Dubai Marriott) around the world and this was hands down the best service I ever received.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the southwest-side of the hotel they are not bombarded by the sun all day.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Sam H

Thanks so much for your positive review. We appreciate your comments specific to our service. We hope to see you again soon, if your travels bring you back to Chattanooga.

Tom Underwood

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I had reserved a room with double beds. I was expecting a room with a micro fridge at least, but it didn't have one. Also I attempted to use the hotel hair dryer at the plug set up at the end of the desk. First, it had the wind force of a still day. Then it kept tripping the circuit breaker at the desk even after the manager brought another one to my room. I paid $5 less/day on my reservation than one of my coworkers. He got free breakfast buffet that I would have had to pay $15 or so for.
However the location was outstanding as were the lobby attendants and valets. They directed me on where to go and when and also informed me the cost for a cab any where downtown is only $3 per trip.

• Stayed: June 2013
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Hi Wendy-Caketurners

Thank you for your comments specific to our staff and our location - we appreciate that very much. I apologize for the issue with the hairdryer - that is certainly not the norm and a quick fix. We do have micro-fridges available upon request, and we do have some rooms with them built-in.
Thanks again for staying with us and for your feedback - we appreciate it very much.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Recently stayed here during a sports tournmanet for my child. The hotel was nice enough when we arrived. We had reserved over 10 rooms for our sports teams. While we were checked in without issue the same could not be said for our entire group. Our group leader arrived after everyone checked and was told that they had over sold the hotel. This was unacceptable as she had made the arrangements over a month in advance. What was even more distrubing was that other arriving after her party was given rooms. After much discussion with the front desk they offered the Days Inn. This was questionable since the Marriott and the Days Inn are quiet different. However, we stepped outside and called corporate exprssed our dissatisifcation and disppointment. They were able to faciliate a room (which magically appeared) for her party. By this time it was after 10pm (3 hours later of kids waiting in the lobby, hungry and time wasted when we could have been enjoying the city) at night and we had to eat and get the kids ready for a tournament. Completely disappointed at the way this was handled. We received free breakfast coupons and valet parking; howver this should have never happen. Now for the hotel review
- Rooms - Decent regular room. The bathrooms are on the small side. However, the water pressure was good.
-Buffet - The Breakfast buffet was good
-Pool - the outside pool the water is very cold; Indoor pool small (more than 2 families) and it becomes super crowded.
-Parkting - $15 valet and $10 self park

We would not stay here again due to the customer service issue and the possibility of the hotel being sold out and not being informed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Hi TravlingTS

I sincerely apologize for the issues that another person in your group experienced. The hotel was completely sold out and we had a room out-of-order due to a plumbing issue that we couldn't get resolved that day. Thank you for your other comments and again, I apologize that this issue affected your arrival experience with us.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Let me start by saying that I a Platnium Elite Marriott member and I see many properties...

This GM was constantly around the property.... Saw him in valet, registration, restaurant, everywhere.... Not in an annoying way, rather in a way that assures you that the customer would be well respected.... Even comped us some pins so we could enjoy the last day of Riverbend...

It was refreshing to see a GM and a staff take such ownership of entire experience....

Only 3 negatives re: the property...

1. It is an older renovated Marriott
2. Parking charge
3. It is not in easy walking distance to river attractions (there is a shuttle)

If you are a seasoned traveler who demands service.... You will find it here...

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near center, bathroom may be cramped...
1  Thank McMunn
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Hello McMunn

Thank you so much for your comments! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us - and it was a pleasure to meet you. Have a nice summer and we hope that your travels will bring you back through Chattanooga soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Having booked this Hotel through an outside discounted source (and THEN reading the Reviews,) I was admittedly a little cautious.....Although it was obviously too late at that point... LOL
However, after booking, I re-read the Reviews, and realized that the General Manage seems to respond to EVERY SINGLE post about this Hotel on TripAdvisor. To me personally, that screams "WE SINCERELY CARE."
So,.............. I packed up the wife and 2 kids, on our way from Huntsville, AL to North Carolina for a Reunion, and we stayed overnight last Monday Night at the Marriott Chattanooga.
We have always loved Chattanooga, especially since it's only 90 minutes from Huntsville, and visit/stay there regularly.
This was our first stay at the Chattanooga Marriott.
Getting there from Huntsville was really easy. I already had it punched into the phone's GPS....
Somewhere over the din of Guns N' Roses and a little Def Leppard, (what kids DON'T need to be introduced to some good quality 1980's music?!?).....I managed to hear the GPS at the last minute and literally made only 2 quick turns off the Interstate before we were at the Parking Garage entrance... Really EASY.
We arrived and self-parked, although Valet was available (and waiting outside).... I mean, who really wants to try to unpack their kids, along with 67 iPods, iPads, iPhones, Nintendo DS's, and all the cords and headphones in the middle of the Valet Parking?... :) :)
Although I am sure they would have been gracious, patient, and kind, it's more of a source of personal embarrassment for me, and something that I really probably just need to work through in my next Therapy session.
Instead, we drove straight into the parking deck. No attendant and no card required.
We simply took a paper receipt at the entrance, and found out later that Hotel Guests can discard it, as you can just charge the parking deck to your room card upon checkout.
I really don't know how much it was, as I didn't pay attention... Maybe $8.00 or $10.00? They put a receipt under our door the next morning, but I am pretty sure that one of the kids made a paper airplane out of it....
At any rate, NOT MUCH.
EASY, EASY, EASY....
Drove straight up the parking deck to the 3rd Floor, and scored a parking spot right by the short crosswalk to the Hotel. The crosswalk brings you into the hotel above the Lobby. Just a simple Elevator ride (or Escalator, if you prefer) down ONE FLOOR and you are directly in the Lobby.
I left the wife and kids at the table in the Lobby with the complimentary bottled water and COOKIES, of course... They had been complaining for the last 80 miles that I wouldn't "Feeeeeeeed" them......
........And was immediately greeted by two Front Desk Staff members standing out in the Lobby, who introduced themselves, and escorted me over to the Check-in Desk.
Quick and Easy check-in (less than 60 seconds,).....
Or at least it WOULD HAVE BEEN, had I not been so eager to ask 10,000 questions of the Front Desk Clerk. After being in the car for 4 hours with a 12 & 14 year old squabbling, all I wanted was some adult conversation, and he happily answered all of my questions: Where is the bar? Where is the pool? Where can I get a BEER? Can you babysit my children?
He answered quickly, (and even put up with my quirky humor!) and recommended a nearby Brewery/Grille, for which he gave us a coupon for 10% off.
"How do we get there?" I asked....
I mean, after all, who wants DAD getting potentially LOADED at a Brewery, (which was a GOOD possibility at this point,) and wiping out the entire parking deck with our rental car?
"No problem, sir" he replied. "Right outside this door to your right is a Complimentary City Shuttle stop. The shuttle runs the full length of downtown to the Aquarium, makes a U-Turn, and runs back...., and it departs every 15 minutes."
WOW. Great JOB, City of Chattanooga! You just made these parents VERY HAPPY!
So, up to the Room.
No sooner had we gotten on the Elevator (with a Hotel Staff member already on it,) then he introduced himself to us, asked us if we needed any help with anything, and accommodated my children's general smalltalk with a GENUINE & SINCERE tone! (Why is the Elevator glass? Why is the sky blue? Why is your hat black? Why is the carpet red?.....SIGH...)
Our room was on the 14th Floor, facing the South, so we had a great view of Downtown and the mountains....
I noticed on the way in (I am OCD & ADD, so I guess I check this kind of stuff...) that the hallway carpet was impeccably CLEAN, and almost looked like it might have been REALLY REALLY NEW.... The carpet in the room was the same..... EXCELLENT!
The beds were well done and CLEAN. The furniture was the same, as well. Modern, updated, and nice.
The towels, the toiletries, and the bathroom were the same.
I actually, for once, did NOT have the desire to immediately throw all the Comforters into the corner of the room like I do at a lot of Hotels, even 4-5+ Star Hotels...... (Oh, COME ONE, we ALL do it!)
My wife turns to me and says, "Dusty, baby, what's WRONG? Is something wrong?!?"
"Not a thing," I told her. "But, that's strange."
"Well, thank God, you usually find something to complain about," she jokingly says.
I immediately set the Room's A/C to 65 degrees, (because this is what you do as a GOOD HUSBAND, when your wife suffers from Hot Flashes.) And it stayed nice and CHILLY in the room all night long. GOOD COLD A/C. Just the way "mama" likes it. :)
We quickly unpack, sign into the Hotel's WiFi with our 14 Apple devices, (really easy and simple,) and my son and I go to find the Pool and Bar.
It quickly dawns on me that he is only TWELVE years old, so we skip the Bar, and instead check out the Outdoor Pool on the 3rd Floor (I think... Maybe it was the 2nd floor..., Who's counting??)
It was on the rooftop, and occupied by a few couples, mostly with kids. The water was clean, as was the deck area around the pool (and plenty of fresh/clean towels available.)
We didn't get a chance to swim, as my 14-year-old daughter, still back in the room with Mom resting, called us and announced that she was going to "Stab someone with a fork and eat them, if I don't get fed soon." ..... I seriously don't doubt that she probably would have, crazy hormones and all...
So, off to the Shuttle Stop right outside the Hotel, to head to the recommended Big River Grille & Brewery. We waited approximately 3.5 minutes for the Shuttle, which pulled up right along the curb, and coincidentally right next to the sign that tells Idiots like me where the Shuttle is going.
Extremely Clean Shuttle, that looked like an old fashioned Trolley Car, and was almost SILENT, as it was electric power driven.
Fun 4-5 minute ride to the Restaurant with some complete Strangers, also on board. They were obviously from out-of-town, as well, as they kept asking the Shuttle driver if the "RIVER WAS CLOSED."
I'm not sure how you "CLOSE" a river, outside of the successful efforts by Franklin Roosevelt with the Hoover DAM in 1935, and I asked my fellow Tourists about this. They looked at me like I was crazy. ....(Crazy is a GOOD possibility.)
My wife just laughed and sighed.
The kids weren't paying any attention on the ride, as they were busy enjoying the breeze through the Shuttle's open windows, like Cocker Spaniels in the back seat of a car.
The shuttle dropped us off at the Restaurant. Dinner was good (Beer was BETTER!) and we chose to walk through downtown after dinner, back to the Hotel, stopping several times so our daughter could take "YouTube" videos of us being typical tourists.
After about 6 blocks, the kids grew tired of this new-fangled "WALKING STUFF," and so we quickly and easily caught a ride back to the Hotel at the next shuttle stop. It appears that the shuttle stops are about every 1.5-2 blocks downtown, so it's really easy to jump on one.
The shuttle dropped us off back outside of the Marriott.
After this small adventure (and long day,) Mom and Dad really needed a cigarette, so we sent the kids back up to the room.
Although the Marriott is a non-smoking facility, they do have a fenced in, gated outdoor patio on the North side of the building. It has benches, tables, and ashtrays, and is private and away from the downtown sidewalk traffic.
For those that DON'T SMOKE, it is also well away from any entrances and windows. So, it's really the best of both worlds for everyone involved.
I don't sleep well sometimes (imagine THAT!) and so I have a tendency to wander down to smoke at odd hours, and I was completely comfortable in this area at 2 A.M. in my Mickey Mouse boxer shorts & t-shirt. (Kidding!)
Honestly, though, I never felt unsafe at ALL in this area, as is typical in a lot of downtown hotels in other cities.
All in all, during our short stay of less than 24 hours, I bet we were asked no LESS than 8 times by staff, (when wandering through public areas of the Hotel,) if we needed any help, or how we were enjoying our stay, etc, etc...
I have stayed in some of the finest of 5-Star Hotels in my life, but I have never seen a Staff that GENUINELY seemed to care so much about making sure that you are enjoying your stay!
These Employees seem to REALLY CARE about the Guests, and enjoy their jobs, and not once did it seem "fake" or "obligatory."
This is the first time I have ever written a Review on TripAdvisor (or any other Travel website.)... Usually I just read them to check out the Hotels and be a Lurker.
However, I was compelled by reading some of the other Reviews.
I feel that any business that is really giving it 110% deserves recognition. Once I went back and (just now) re-read the reviews, a lot of the BAD ONES were 7-8 Years old.
And, YES, I have had bad Hotel stays, as well. But I always ask myself, "Was it something immediately fixable, and did they make an effort to remedy it and accommodate me?"
And, reading the reviews, this Hotel seems to react quickly, professionally, and promptly.
I don't know how long that the current G.M. has been in place with this Company.... (BUT, with me being a super computer GEEK, and a little Internet searching, it appears that a lot of the prior complaints were NOT while he was in command.) This is also indicated by the amount of time that he has been personally responding to these TripAdvisor Reviews.
I've been there, done that. Owned several businesses (although never worked in Hotel Industry.) Don't let OLD reviews get you down. Look at the recent ones.
It's hard to overcome old, bad reviews from prior/previous management.
In reading some of the less-favorable Reviews, it's always amazing to me to look at the REVIEWER'S history of Reviews. Some people just are NEVER satisfied!
So, in closing,
WANT MY VOTE, as a husband & father of two teenagers???
I give it an A+++++++.
1.) Price was right.
2.) Location was right. (I have stayed in Hotels down near the Aquarium, and heard the Baseball Park ALL NIGHT! Have also stayed in the "Choo-Choo" Hotel, and we weren't impressed.)
3.) Service was EXCELLENT. (Maybe it wasn't in 2005-2006 when the old Reviews were written, but it DEFINITELY is now!)
4.) Hotel was CLEAN. (I am a stickler for cleanliness, and couldn't find ANY complaints.)
ALL IN ALL: Ignore the TripAdvisor Rating. If you REALLY LOOK, the Rating is being pulled down by mostly REALLY OLD Reviews (and GROUCHY people that need some JESUS in their lives! :) :) )..... that were obviously under a prior Management.
DO IT.
YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

-------------------------------
Dusty G. - World Traveler "Extraordinaire"
Huntsville, Alabama

Room Tip: 15th & 16th are Concierge ONLY Floors. Floors 1-14 are "Regular" floors. Corner roo...
7  Thank Dusty G

Hi Dusty G!

Thanks for the review - I feel like I was right there with you every step of the way! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and your short stay in Chattanooga. We very much appreciate you sharing comments for future travelers to review. Keep us in mind for future trips to Chattanooga and have a great summer! Thanks again.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife I took a short trip to Chattanooga and and stayed in the Chattanooga Marriott Hotel. From the minute we arrived until the time we left we experienced staff members that went out of there way to make sure we had everything we wanted and more. We stayed on the top floor with a wonderful view of the city. The amenities were excellent and we felt we were treated like VIP's. The funny thing about it is we only stayed for one night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gary J

Hi Gary J

Thanks so much for spending a recent weekend with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and the accomodations. We'll see you again soon!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Took a one night trip to get away. For the one night we stayed the trip was pretty good. I like the soft beds and choice of different styles of pillows. Had to request a refrigerator and no micocrowave. Tv could have been upgraded. The shuttle service around the city was nice since it was free and frequent. Pool outside was too small and needed to be upgraded. Over all it was decent.

1  Thank trasea7372

Trasea7332

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and I've noted your suggestions as well. Thanks again for your business and we hope to see you on a return trip to Chattanooga.