“An excellent choice if you can book at a $100 or less price point.”

Chattanooga Marriott Downtown
Ranked #13 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Asheville, North Carolina
“An excellent choice if you can book at a $100 or less price point.”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We booked the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center on Priceline for $79. We were participating in an event at the convention center, so it was extremely convenient.

The front desk clerk was outstanding. She was a polished professional who was cheerful, friendly, and had answers to all of our questions. Later we had entered the wrong door to go back to our room and another employee kindly pointed us in the right direction and held the door for us, despite having her hands full with a tray of clean glasses. There was courteous service at every turn.

There is a free electric shuttle stop just outside the door near the front desk. We took the shuttle to a restaurant/bar area closer to the river. It was fast and convenient. The shuttle was nice and warm inside and it was nice to not have the stress of driving.

Our room on the 8th floor was fairly spacious. The king bed was firm and comfortable. We slept well and woke up refreshed. In the morning, I enjoyed opening the curtains to the spectacular downtown view.

We had filled in an order for room service breakfast and placed the order on our door the night before, and the breakfast arrived on time. It was pretty good.

The housekeeping staff is a bit heavy handed with the cleaning spray. I could smell it in the hallway and our room. The toilet really needs more flushing power, and the bed sheets were woefully thin. Towels were a bit thin, but plentiful. These criticisms do not change the fact that I had a wonderful nights' sleep in comfort, enjoyed many conveniences, and experienced top-notch and very kindly service. I left feeling renewed.

Priceline listed this Marriott as a 3 1/2 star hotel. Personally, I don't think it quite rises to the level of 3 1/2 stars due to the details I noted above.While I have seen this hotel advertised at $149/night, I would not pay that much for a room here. However, if you can use Priceline or a discount like AARP or government rate to book a room for $100 or less, go for it. You will likely experience the same comfortable, convenient stay with exemplary service that I experienced. So glad I stayed here!

Room Tip: Get a room at a higher level to enjoy the view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
alminavi

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Happy Holidays.

Tom Underwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Bar none, the best bed I've ever slept it. Ever staff member was unbelievably attentive and kind, catering to us like royalty:) I would live here if I could! Pools are awesome inside and out, room service and food awesome!! Five stars!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Minderhouts

Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed our service, the pool area, and the Marriott beds! We hope to see you again soon. Happy Holidays.

United States
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This Marriott is located in downtown Chattanooga close to the convention center and many fine restaurants. Shuttle service is available from the Hotel. The beds are very comfortable and the Hotel staff are very friendly. Panhandling is somewhat a problem while waiting for the shuttle. There seems to be good police presence around the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
LB

Thank you for feedback regarding our beds, service, and location. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with other future travelers. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Chattanooga
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We just had the best stay here!! What a wonderful experience! We were celebrating a special occasion and from the moment we walked in the hotel staff took excellent care of us. The front desk staff knew about the celebration and acknowledged it. The room was super nice, clean and had a excellent view of the city. I loved the comfy bed and Bath & Body Products too. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. I also had the best Chocolate Lava Cake EVER in the restaurant. We truly had a great stay and would highly recommend this gorgeous hotel and their professional staff to everyone coming to Chattanooga.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Angie B

Thank you for your feedback and thank you for spending your special occasion with us at the Marriott!! We appreciate your business. I will share your positive feedback with our team.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

The manager and front desk service was impeccable. Eye contact from the minute I walked in, complete attentiveness.

Bar none- the best bed and pillows I've ever slept on! I even inquired about where to purchase the items for my own home.

Pool is warm and clean, softest towels and washcloths- I don't know how they do it!

• Stayed August 2012
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hi Minderhouts

Thank you for such a positive review of our hotel and staff!! We appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that we'll see you again when your travels bring you back to Chattanooga.

Southeast
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here this weekend for a pleasure trip to the aquarium, river gorge, and lookout mountain. First the pros: This is your typical Marriott Hotel, all the amenities you would expect. The buffet breakfast was one of the best I have had at a hotel, excellent, fresh, hot, cooked to order eggs and waffles, fresh fruit and berries, nice bright dining room with floor to ceiling glass walls for views. Not very busy this weekend so it was nice and quiet. Parking is connected in a garage, very close and easy to use, get in and out. It was $10/day to park. Room was extra large. Staff members all very nice. AC was super quiet. Indoor pool was very warm, not cool like some other hotels "heated pools". Location is very convenient to restaurants and downtown attractions and river. Some other things to keep in mind if you are planning to stay here: The bathroom is tiny, only room for 1 person at a time. There is an extra counter outside the bathroom but it doesn't have a sink. Closet also tiny. I requested feather pillows when I made the reservation but there were none in the room. The pillows were pretty bad, lumpy foamy, not good. I called at bedtime to request feather pillows and was told they don't have any. 1/2 hour later (when I was in the bathtub), someone came to the door with one feather pillow. I was glad to get it even if it was only one and it was a tiny square. I also requested a rollaway bed during reservation and it wasn't in the room either. They promptly corrected and brought one to the room when I called. The bed/mattress was not comfortable. It felt cheap, old, springy, hard. Not what I expected at a Marriott for $179/night. I've had much better sleeping comfort at Hampton and HGI hotels so this was a little puzzling. I used to stay at Marriott properties for business but switched to Hilton a few years ago due to the bedding/mattress. If you want the feel of a nice quality luxurious mattress, you won't find it here so if that's important, keep that in mind. It wasn't bad, just below expectations for the caliber of hotel and price. The room seemed a little shabby, dirty too. Ex: the toilet tank was leaking and making dark yellow orange wet puddles and stains on the bottom of the toilet and running down the side. I think it was rust, but it looked like something else which was a little bit of a turn off. This hotel appears to be an older hotel that may have been renovated at some point as it can seem a little dog-eared if you look closely. Again, not bad, just slightly. I enjoyed my stay here because it was empty, peaceful, and we had lots of space in our room. The breakfast was also superb. The HGi and Hampton Inn were both $200 night and you could stay here for $169, so that's we chose the Marriott over the Hilton properties. We paid $10 extra to upgrade to Concierge level and it was well worth it to have access to snacks, drinks, and breakfast for the family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Medirep

Thank you for your kind words regarding our breakfast, staff, location, and amenities!! I will follow up on your comments regarding the toilet and bedding/pillows - thank you for letting us know. We hope that we will see you again soon!

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I found fresh blood on the mattress cover and when the housekeeper came to change the sheets, we found dried feces or blood on the mattress itself. The Housekeeper called maintenence and the manager and the mattress was removed. I was offered the opportunity to change rooms but it was 6 hrs until I was to check out. I asked for an additional cover and sheets to protect myself and tried to rest on the other bed for the remainder of the night. The hotel comp'd out my room and offered my a free breakfast for my trouble. I will not recommend this hotel again to my colleagues due to unsanitary conditions. I am not comfortable with their cleaning processes or condition of their mattresses

Room Tip: check the cleanliness of your rooms before accepting the room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Shannon M

I sincerely apologize for your experience at our hotel. The housekeeping/maintenance issue that you encountered is certainly not the norm for us and I have followed up with our housekeeping staff regarding this. I would love the opportunity to speak with you about your stay. If possible, I can be reached at 423-308-1070 or if you would email me your # and a good time to contact you, I'd appreciate it.