“Beat service and best bed I've ever slept in!”

Chattanooga Marriott Downtown
Ranked #13 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
“Beat service and best bed I've ever slept in!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The manager and front desk service was impeccable. Eye contact from the minute I walked in, complete attentiveness.

Bar none- the best bed and pillows I've ever slept on! I even inquired about where to purchase the items for my own home.

Pool is warm and clean, softest towels and washcloths- I don't know how they do it!

• Stayed August 2012
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hi Minderhouts

Thank you for such a positive review of our hotel and staff!! We appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that we'll see you again when your travels bring you back to Chattanooga.

Tom Underwood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Southeast
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here this weekend for a pleasure trip to the aquarium, river gorge, and lookout mountain. First the pros: This is your typical Marriott Hotel, all the amenities you would expect. The buffet breakfast was one of the best I have had at a hotel, excellent, fresh, hot, cooked to order eggs and waffles, fresh fruit and berries, nice bright dining room with floor to ceiling glass walls for views. Not very busy this weekend so it was nice and quiet. Parking is connected in a garage, very close and easy to use, get in and out. It was $10/day to park. Room was extra large. Staff members all very nice. AC was super quiet. Indoor pool was very warm, not cool like some other hotels "heated pools". Location is very convenient to restaurants and downtown attractions and river. Some other things to keep in mind if you are planning to stay here: The bathroom is tiny, only room for 1 person at a time. There is an extra counter outside the bathroom but it doesn't have a sink. Closet also tiny. I requested feather pillows when I made the reservation but there were none in the room. The pillows were pretty bad, lumpy foamy, not good. I called at bedtime to request feather pillows and was told they don't have any. 1/2 hour later (when I was in the bathtub), someone came to the door with one feather pillow. I was glad to get it even if it was only one and it was a tiny square. I also requested a rollaway bed during reservation and it wasn't in the room either. They promptly corrected and brought one to the room when I called. The bed/mattress was not comfortable. It felt cheap, old, springy, hard. Not what I expected at a Marriott for $179/night. I've had much better sleeping comfort at Hampton and HGI hotels so this was a little puzzling. I used to stay at Marriott properties for business but switched to Hilton a few years ago due to the bedding/mattress. If you want the feel of a nice quality luxurious mattress, you won't find it here so if that's important, keep that in mind. It wasn't bad, just below expectations for the caliber of hotel and price. The room seemed a little shabby, dirty too. Ex: the toilet tank was leaking and making dark yellow orange wet puddles and stains on the bottom of the toilet and running down the side. I think it was rust, but it looked like something else which was a little bit of a turn off. This hotel appears to be an older hotel that may have been renovated at some point as it can seem a little dog-eared if you look closely. Again, not bad, just slightly. I enjoyed my stay here because it was empty, peaceful, and we had lots of space in our room. The breakfast was also superb. The HGi and Hampton Inn were both $200 night and you could stay here for $169, so that's we chose the Marriott over the Hilton properties. We paid $10 extra to upgrade to Concierge level and it was well worth it to have access to snacks, drinks, and breakfast for the family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Medirep

Thank you for your kind words regarding our breakfast, staff, location, and amenities!! I will follow up on your comments regarding the toilet and bedding/pillows - thank you for letting us know. We hope that we will see you again soon!

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I found fresh blood on the mattress cover and when the housekeeper came to change the sheets, we found dried feces or blood on the mattress itself. The Housekeeper called maintenence and the manager and the mattress was removed. I was offered the opportunity to change rooms but it was 6 hrs until I was to check out. I asked for an additional cover and sheets to protect myself and tried to rest on the other bed for the remainder of the night. The hotel comp'd out my room and offered my a free breakfast for my trouble. I will not recommend this hotel again to my colleagues due to unsanitary conditions. I am not comfortable with their cleaning processes or condition of their mattresses

Room Tip: check the cleanliness of your rooms before accepting the room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Shannon M

I sincerely apologize for your experience at our hotel. The housekeeping/maintenance issue that you encountered is certainly not the norm for us and I have followed up with our housekeeping staff regarding this. I would love the opportunity to speak with you about your stay. If possible, I can be reached at 423-308-1070 or if you would email me your # and a good time to contact you, I'd appreciate it.

Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott for 3 nights. Right after checking in I called the front desk to say that the connecting door to the room next to us permitted the conversations in that room to be heard quite distinctly in my room. I was told that no change in room location, i.e., one without a connecting door was possible. We lived with the situation for the next 3 days. Then on Saturday night a party two floors below us was so loud that it was impossible to sleep. I called the front desk and was told that the party would conclude at 11:59 p.m. When the noise continued until well after midnight I called the front desk and again asked about the loud noise. I was told that the party would be over at 1:30 a.m. I asked the desk clerk how I was expected to sleep with all the racket - no response. I had a 12 hour drive the next day. I asked the desk clerk if some adjustment would be made to my room rate since it was impossible to get to sleep - I was told that if I was a Marriott's reward member I could get extra points added to my account (huh???). On two occasions - once before I arrived and another after I arrived I found the person answering the phone to be unprofessionally rude when I asked questions. All in all I would NOT recommend staying at this Marriott location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank vanhooss
Vanhooss

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the issues which you encountered during your stay. We were definitely sold out during your stay, but we should have been able to find you a differerent room by the 2nd or 3rd night, and I apologize that we didn't follow up more proactively. I am sorry that the event in our ballroom that evening disturbed your sleep, and I will follow up on how your calls were handled by our staff. We appreciate your feedback.

MARYVILLE
Reviewed October 26, 2012

What a great place to stay. The room was very clean. It was so easy to check in and everyone was very helpful. The breakfast, which was included, was awesome and made to order omelets were wonderful. The staff was great and we had a top floor room which overlooked the city and the fall colors were beautiful. There is a free trolley that runs until 11:30 pm, so we just parked and rode the trolley to all of our destinations. There is so much to do in Chattanooga and the choices for food are many. Had a great stay!! Would definitely go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Loved being on the upper floor to be able to overlook the city.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Janet K

Thank you for such nice feedback, specifically regarding breakfast, staff service, and our location! We appreciate your business and thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with others!

Frisco, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Traveling for pleasure means I look for different things. The convention center is adjoining the hotel, but all of the cool things in Chattanooga are down by the river. Sure there is a free shuttle that runs every 7 minutes, but I like the idea of walking out the door and being in the middle of things. The shuttle is only a few minutes from everything, does that make me picky? (Courtyard or Springhill are prime locations). They've recently upgraded the restaurant that serves breakfast (and probably other meals too), very nice and very stylish. Small pool in the basement. Outdoor rooftop pool was closed. Parking is in the garage. If it is business stay here, if it is pleasure, stay down by the river.

Room Tip: Go high. My kids like the outside glass elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Derring W33

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your review. We appreciate your business and hope that we do see you again if your travels bring you to Chattanooga.

Thanks again
Southlake, Texas
Reviewed October 24, 2012

What a GEM. The staff was excellent, the facility very nice, and close to downtown areas of interest. The valet service knew just where to send us for entertainment and restaurants. Directions to area attractions were concise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TomU3, General Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hi Gerald Z

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff service, facility, and location! We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with future visitors and I will share with our staff as well. We hope to see you again soon.