“Service Extraordinaire!”

Chattanooga Marriott Downtown
Ranked #13 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed May 22, 2011

My wife and I booked the "Romantic Weekend" stay at this particular Marriott, and we were not disappointed. Upon arrival we were quickly greeted by the valet parking staff, who understood when I told them I wasn't sure if I wanted valet parking or not (turns out it was included in the package). They were very gracious in allowing our car to stay in the front while we checked in.

The front desk clerk was very friendly, and when she noted our booking she was quick to say that they had put us on the Concierge level where "they won't be a lot of noisy kids." Seems there was a soccer tournament in town, and the hotel was full of families in attendance. We got to our room and found it to be spacious and quiet - for 2 minutes. Then we heard the family with two small ones yelling and jumping around in the connecting room. Just at that moment room service knocked at our door to deliver our champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries. He walked in, heard the noise, and said, "Oh, no, that's not right." He then told us to request a move (which we had already been contemplating) and he gave us a number to call the front desk. I called them and requested a change, and they said no problem. In fact, our new room keys arrived in 4 minutes!

We moved to the other end of the Concierge Floor and found the room as nice and very quiet!

The hotel is located in downtown Chattanooga and is within easy walking distance to several great restaurants and other attractions. We were lucky to have arrived at the beginning of a Biker Weekend in the city; hundreds of motorcycles were parked in blocked-off parts of downtown, and we enjoyed walking around, seeing the people, and listening to the live music. Quite a dichotomy - soccer families and motorcyclists.

Breakfast next morning in the hotel was superb with, again, excellent service. Checkout was flawless, and the valet staff had our car waiting for us right on time.

It has been my experience that one receives great service from one part of the staff, but so-so service when engaging with another part. That was NOT the case here - we received excellent service in every aspect of this hotel stay. I went out of my way to see if I would be treated any differently by anyone on the staff (to include the maid service). I could not find one instance where the service by anyone associated with this Marriott was less than superb.

I highly recommend this hotel for great weekend getaways and for those wanting to discover and explore Chattanooga!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wolfpack81
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2011

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of our hotel!

It is with great pleasure that we warmly welcome, meet and exceed our guests expectations on a daily basis. Our service team works exceptionally hard to provide the type of service that fits the Marriott name. I shall certainly extend your great comments to our entire hotel team. It is very pleasing to read that our efforts to ensure a wonderful weekend are so warmly acknowledged.

Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing to spend your time with us.

Reviewed May 19, 2011

Used Priceline "name your own price" and I got a great deal compared to the standard rate.

Stayed one night during the week, check-in was fine. Paying for parking overnight, not so good. I figured since it was connected to the convention center there would be a fee. The room was clean and updated. The bed was nice and soft and the bathroom was nice with a nice shower head.

The bad, we could hear the water rushed through the pipes everytime someone flushed the toliet or used the sink. We we on the 5th floor so I do not understand the cause for the noise. It was so loud at times we swore someone was in our bathroom.

Also, there was no microwave in the room. We had food we wanted the warm-up and when we called down to the front desk, we were informed that they did not have a microwave available. I guess it is a setup for you to order room service.

Oh, the pool empty too, glad I did not want to go for a swim.

Overall, nice stay, but if I had to pay the standard rate, I would have threw a fit about not having access to a microwave.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2011

We appreciate you taking the time in posting your comments regarding your stay with us at the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center.

Thank you for acknowledging the attentiveness and cleanliness of our team and guest room; it is with great pleasure that we take every opportunity to exceed your expectations and we do hope to ensure you will want to return. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize if you heard noise from water rushing through the pipes in your bathroom. We can certainty appreciate any inconvenience this may have caused you throughout your stay.

I would also like take this opportunity to clarify our parking charges and hotel amenities: Daily parking is at an extra cost outside your room rate as an incidental charge itemized on your room folio daily. The only types of rooms that have a microwave are our Executive King rooms, but we do have a microwave available for guest use in our Starbucks outlet. As for the pool, we have an indoor pool open until 11:00pm at night. Our outdoor pool is seasonal from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Reviewed May 17, 2011

Stayed a Saturday night in May with my mother and sister. They are both profoundly deaf, so they loved the hotel all around. I, however, still have my hearing (thankfully) so I heard a party of 4-5 come in to the room next door at 11PM, waking me up, and keeping me up for a bit. They weren't necessarily extremely loud, but I had an adjoining room, and the walls or the door was so thin I could hear every word they were saying. I actually got out of bed, and opened the door to the hallway, as I thought that they were just standing in the hallway being loud. Wow.
I had earplugs, which helped--and had they not stopped within about a half hour, I would have had to talk to them or call the desk for assistance.
Since I didn't call, I can't speak to their responsiveness, but I'd have hoped they'd have found a way to rectify the situation.

All of that being said, the room was very clean, modern, and had it not been for the temporary noise, our trip would have been perfect. Check in and Check out were easy as was parking. This hotel is in a convenient location, and I felt the price was excellent for the room I received--I only have to ding the place due to the thin walls/doors.

So, I'd recommend this hotel--BUT BRING YOUR EARPLUGS, or make sure you request and can be guaranteed a non-adjoining hotel. And if you're in an adjoining room, also be considerate to others sleeping when you come in at night!

Room Tip: Request Non-Adjoining room, Request highest floors
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments and for posting your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to learn of your positive impressions after your stay with us, however, I am disappointed to read about your experience pertaining to the noise from your adjoining guest room. We can certainly understand the importance of a nights rest and I am sorry that it was marginal at best. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this caused you while staying with us. I can assure you that if you had called the Front Desk for assistance your call of concern would have been followed up by our team immediately. We have a Manager on Duty 24 hours a day to help with any guest issues. It is our ultimate goal to exceed our guests’ expectations to ensure satisfaction.

On behalf of our team at Chattanooga’s leading lodging choice, Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center, we look forward in welcoming you back to our property in the near future.

Reviewed May 14, 2011

This hotel saved the day for us. After being mistreated at the Chattanoogan, we got two adjoining rooms here. It was a great place for less money than the Chattanoogan. Great service with a smile. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to guarantee adjoining rooms if you need them.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mgmong
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

Thank you very much for such a warm review of your recent stay with us at the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center; I am very pleased to learn that you hold such fond memories of your stay.

I am also delighted to read that you would recommend our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Reviewed April 16, 2011

This was our 2nd stay at this hotel. Nice comfy bed, nice size room, great service staff. No major complaints other than the adjoining room. Probably wasn't the best idea to put a family with kids in an adjoining room with a couple on their honeymoon. We had to turn the tv on and increase the volume to keep the kids from asking questions......on several occasions. Not only could you hear the neighbor's 'business' but we could hear just normal conversation. Plus the light creeped into our room around the door. Don't think the noise issue would have been a problem had it not been for the door. With what we could hear there might as well been no door there. Would be a wise idea to request a room without an adjoining room. Has an indoor heated pool and hot tub except the heater was broken in the hot tub. The was nice since it rained an entire day and we had to entertain our kids in the hotel. Not within walking distance to attractions but the shuttle can take you there and it picks up at the hotel. Parking IS NOT included in hotel price but charged on a daily rate. Approximately $12/day. Within walking distance to City Grille & Cafe, which has good food at good prices.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank LTArmyfamily
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2011

We are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience pertaining to the noise from the adjoining guest room. We can certainly understand the importance of a nights rest and I am sorry that it was marginal at best. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this caused you while staying with us.

Our team strives daily to exceed expectations and I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed our Marriott beds, nice size room and our Whatever It Takes service team. With respect to our parking charges, it is at an extra cost outside of the room charge. However, our self parking charge is not $12.00, but $10.00 a night and this charge is itemized on your room folio daily.

Thank you for your time and business, as I look forward in welcoming you back to the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center once again.

Reviewed April 13, 2011

Very loud hotel. No sound proofing in the hallways, and absolutely no sound proofing if you have a room that has room adjoining door. I am generally a sound sleeper, but the way sound travels in this hotel is ridiculous, especially when charging approximately 150 a nite. Simple expectation is that you will be able to sleep when traveling, but not at this place.

One good point, Brooks the valet, pleasant and good service. But sorry, a valet doesn't make up for the noise at this hotel.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
MarriottMgmt, Manager at Chattanooga Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2011

On behalf of our team at the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center we want to thank you for the comments you made regarding our staff and hotel. It is only through guest comments that we can improve our services.

Our team strives daily to exceed expectations and we are terribly sorry that we did not meet your expectations. However, I am happy to read such warm regards about our valet attendant Brook. It is certainly with great pleasure that we take every opportunity to exceed our guests expectations and we do hope to ensure you will want to return.

Reviewed April 13, 2011

Our room was great--clean, updated, comfortable beds. The walls are a little thin, but it was not an issue. Reading the negative reviews, it almost sounds like there must be another Marriott somewhere in Chattanooga, because our room, the rest of the hotel, and stay were great. The staff were all very personable and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable.
Some colleagues and I stayed for a conference. The hall is attached to the hotel, which is very convenient.
Also, I'm vegan and called ahead to arrange meals. Everything they prepared went above and beyond, and one of the servers went out of her way to make sure I was taken care of.
There is an electric shuttle that stops right by the hotel and will take you just about anywhere in town and costs whatever you choose to donate. The riverfront has great restaurants and little shops.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank AnnieBart

I am very pleased to learn of your positive impressions after your stay with us at the Chattanooga Marriott at the Convention Center and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay.

We are most appreciative of your acknowledgment that our hotel services and facilities went the extra mile to make your stay with us more enjoyable.