“Moldy, Rundown, The worst free breakfast anywhere ever!”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #42 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Pocatello
“Moldy, Rundown, The worst free breakfast anywhere ever!”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

This property was completely disappointing and clearly lowers any expectations that anyone might have about choice hotel properties. The lobby is the only clean, up-to-date part of the entire establishment. The carpets and furnishings in the hallways and in our room were tired, worn, and not clean. The bathroom was not clean. The air conditioner was not only dirty; it also had a pronounced mold odor. Check-in was efficient, but not particularly friendly. Security appeared to be non-existent as the side doors appeared to have been damaged( perhaps by being "jimmied") and didn't lock. The breakfast area was filthy, hot...as it had no air conditioning..., and smelled like cigarette smoke because our completely surly server took smoke breaks in the kitchen behind the breakfast area. And...what a breakfast! The worst, most industrial scrambled eggs ever: I would never have imagined anyone would serve a dog, much less a human being, such garbage. The sausage patties were rubbery and cold. The country gravy was clearly the cheapest packet available at their local grocery...better used as glue than as a food product. The juice was watered down. The highly irritable wench of a server just glared at everyone and clearly hated her job, if not her life. She was no help at all. We hated this place so badly that, not only will we never stay here again, we might bypass Chattanooga altogether. Avoid this place.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank redd_wynge
Heather W, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 25, 2016
I see that you had stayed at the property in 2011. I just wanted to reach out and let you know since your previous stay at this address this property has went under a complete renovation as well as a brand change, new ownership and a new management staff.

We would love the opportunity to be able to serve you again and accommodate you in the utmost way. Given your recent experience I understand that you would be hesitant to and that is understandable. I assure you that your next stay with Comfort Inn would be a pleasurable one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Billings, Montana
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I was not impresed at anything particular. I was cheaked in promptly almost too fast. I like when the service recomends palces to eat, places to see and so on.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Kennesaw, GA
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I stayed here, quite frankly, because there was no other hotel to choose from. FIrst problem was no internet. No biggie. 2nd was no remote control, no biggie. When you entered the bathroom, the first thing that hit you was the overwhelming, pungent odor of mold. If you looked behind the toilet, mold on the drywall. If you look up over the toilet, more mold. I looked in the shower and 2 things immediately out of place. First, no shower head. It as like taking a shower with a garden hose. Second, there was a large, cut out hole above the shower head. You could see the concrete frame of the building, and no telling what else was up there. So, after that, I used the toilet, and tried to flush, no flushing. I had to gather water in my ice bucket to flush it. It was ridiculous that I paid the rate I did for my room (between 85-90 a night) and I would rather stay in my work truck than have to stay at this hotel again. At least at a truck stop you can get a good shower.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 243.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

We would love the opportunity to be able to serve you again and accomadate you in the utmost way. Given your recent experience I understand that you would be hesitant to and that is understandable. I assure you that your next stay with Comfort Inn would be a pleasurable one.

Travelers are raving about these Chattanooga hotels

Covington, Georgia
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband, myself and our three daughters stayed here while on a mini vacation. I like the location and the room was pretty nice. I had read previous reviews stating the hotel was under renovation, and was a little leary, but all in all it was a good stay. The only thing that bothered me was the elevators. It was hot in there and the doors opened before the thing even got stopped! Other than that, it was great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Manchester, TN
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I've been staying here about every three or four months for the last year or so, and have seen the progress the new owners are making with the place. It started life as a Howard Johnson's Hotel, but after a couple of decades it had become badly run down. Lots of deferred maintenance and wear and tear combined to make the place pretty grim.

The new owners have spent a lot of money, I'd estimate somewhere around a million, to renovate and improve, and it shows, particularly if you stay here more than once. I've stayed here maybe a half-dozen times, and I will definitely return.

After talking with one of the owners, I learned that they are paying for the renovations without borrowing, so they are doing things a little at a time rather than all at once as a single project.

It cost $38 for two of us to stay this past weekend. Last week in Charlotte I paid $150+ to stay in a Hilton, at corporate rates. This isn't a Hilton, but then again, it doesn't cost $150 per night.

Point made?

If you want value for your money, you cannot beat this motel. If you want five-star accomodations, go elsewhere. If you expect five-star accomodations for $38 a night, die and go to heaven 'cause you won't find them on Earth.

The pool is crystal clear and very clean. The breakfast is substantial and the staff in the breakfast room are very friendly. The little sports bar is friendly and reasonably priced. The exercise room is fully equipped. The rooms vary from okay to new. Some of the ice machines work, some don't. The maid service is iffy and the maids speak Hindi. There's plenty of parking. The motel is about 1/4-mile off Interstate 75 at Exit 1, but traffic is rarely significant. There are a dozen great restaurants within a 10-minute drive: Provino's, Portofino's, and Sticky Fingers, to name a few. The Tennessee Aquarium is 20 minutes away.

And the price is a bargain.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Hotel just finished a complete renovation-which it needed. Staff vey nice. Good location.

Good value for the money

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed here for two nights while visiting in Tennessee. Luckily we got one of the cleaner rooms. To be fair to the owners, it seems as though they may be trying to clean this place up a bit, but they may be doing it one room at a time. I don't know what the answer is but when you take an old hotel that has been smoked in for years and years the smoke smell is somehow imbedded into those walls and the smell is horrible. Even though it looked like fresh paint. There are 'longer term' tenants living here and I got the impression that they were "hard to house" people, so we took our laptop and valuables with us every time we left the room. Surprisingly they have a lovely breakfast room with fresh waffles, biscuits and gravy, toast and other breakfast items. Unfortunately you have to go down a long, dirty, smelly hall and outside to get to this room. Look out for the woman that manages the breakfast. She was nasty!!! Very rude! We are two very respectful seniors, but almost got barked at every time we asked a question. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, nor would I go back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
I see that you had stayed at the property in 2010. I just wanted to reach out and let you know since your previous stay at this address this property has went under a complete renovation as well as a brand change, new ownership and a new management staff.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chattanooga
Best Western Plus Arbour Inn & Suites
Days Inn Chattanooga/Hamilton Place
Best Western Royal Inn
Best Western Royal Inn
#38 of 97 in Chattanooga

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!