“Stay some place else”

Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Brundidge, Alabama
“Stay some place else”
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I dont mind adding one more bad review of the Choo Choo if it will discourage anyone from staying here and having a terrible experience. Rooms smell and are dirty. When they told me I was in building #3 It looked and felt more like "cell block" #3. Dont even think of getting in the pool if you care about your health. I had to stay here because of a company meeting but if it was not for that I would have turned right around and found some place else. guess I have made my point but I could go on and on.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank AL-transplant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
Hometown, Illinois
Reviewed July 31, 2007

I booked this stay for two days on the way to Florida and two days on the way home. But due to bad weather we only stayed one day on the way which was just fine. We arrived July 20th I had asked for building 3 and was told it wasn't available, we were put in building 1 the first room smelled of mold and the carpet was soaked. We were moved to a different room in building 1 that room as we walked in had food all over the carpet ,the bell hop just looked at me and said I will call for a different room we were moved to building 2 which didn't smell and seemed a little cleaner. That is until I got up in the middle of the night to find a roach about 2 inches in the bathroom. We stayed on the way back the two nights in building 3 which to be honest was no better. it was dirty the bathroom wallpaper was filthy the tub backed up the bed felt like you were going to fall on the floor in fact I was in the room when the maid changed the linen and found the date the mattress that was the better of the two had been put in the room I was shocked to see march 15 2002. That is unacceptableThe staff is very friendly and helpful for the most part but the hotel does need serious renovation and a total clean up. I thought the reviews had to be from really picky people but honestly they are right on target. This hotel has a great concept but something you should know the shops they advertise some of them have closed and others like the old time photos are private owned and open when they feel like it as for the main store the depot the shelves were empty and dusty. I had been at this hotell once 8 years ago and also 3 years ago it has really gone down hill since then. i hope the owners take a note and do something to revamp the hotel.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the dirty dirty dirty rooms
1 Thank dana1965
Ontario
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We stayed at the Choo-Choo for 4 days, July 23 – 27. We were located in building #1, room 145. Our room was very clean, the a/c worked very well and the maid service was very good. This is contrary to what we had previously read in TA. Granted the building is old and some areas need updating, but this is a huge complex and is usually full of guests, so yes no matter what, you will have people like it or dislike it, you will have to use your own judgement. Just do not expect luxury as it is a basic hotel with lots to offer if you choose. The only thing that I disliked was the pool temperature in pool #1 (in-door pool). It was very hot. I was sweating standing in the water, so we headed over to the outdoor pool at building #2 and the pool water was cool and relaxing. The Choo-Choo is a very nice place to base your activities in Chattanooga. As you exit the front lobby, the aquarium and other points of interest will be to your right. You can walk to most areas but the trolleys are great way to interact with the locals. The drivers always have something to say and are very friendly.
There is a train trolley that will take you around the complex for a small fee.
There are many shops and restaurants on the site.
You can catch a free trolley ride across from the Choo-Choo to various points within the area, i.e: the aquarium or the many restaurants. The City restaurant is quite good with large portions. The cakes are 12” high. You can also catch a city bus to other areas within the city for ~$1.25.
If you stay at the Choo-Choo just relax and enjoy. The staff were very helpful to any of our needs.
I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Liked — Staff were very friendly, Proximity to activities.
  • Disliked — Building #1 pool
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank JR2
Birmingham Alabama
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We booked our stay at the Choo Choo the night we planned to stay there (because our car broke down and there was no other place in town to stay) The staff was extremely friendly and helpful but when it came to the room all I can say is "Gross!" The sheet that came with the roll-away bed were dirty and wrinkled with spots all over them. The room that we were staying in was non-smoking but in the hallway you could smell old smoke. The bathtub had brown spots on it and the sink had water spots on the faucet. It looked as though the room had not had a good cleaning in about a year or so. There were also flies in the room everywhere. We ended up packing up our bags and leaving this place because we were so disgusted by it.

• Liked — The friendly and helpful staff.
  • Disliked — The unclean room.
3 Thank BELLES123
rogersville
Reviewed July 24, 2007

My husband & I took our 2 yr old daughter to the Choo Choo this past weekend. We booked a deluxe king room & aquarium package for 1 night. The room was supposed to be non-smoking, however the hallway leading to our roomas well as the room itself smelled of old cigarette smoke. The room was so outdated and dirty-The tub had black spots in it and the furniture was horribly uncomfortable and very very old. The ice/vending machines were all located on the floors above us rather on the ground floor-and the outdoor pool was freezing cold! There were also cobwebs in the hallway and above the light fixtures in the hallway to our room. We were very disappointed and expected so much more considering this was our first trip to chattanooga! I would not recommend staying at this hotel-if you are interested in seeing the history of the hotel, I would stay closer to the downtown area where everything is and taking only a visit to the Choo Choo. They really need to do some work to this hotel, especially at the price they charge for a room! You can stay at a much nicer hotel for about the same price (which would be well worth it!)

• Liked — We did not like the hotel at all!
  • Disliked — The room
1 Thank klp7
Florida, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 21, 2007

While we were on vacation our cooler broke and wet all of our pillows and quilts that we brought however that was not a problem until we arrived at this hotel. The room was so gross. There was a red glob on the wall by sink: looked like it came from a persons nose, black dirt all over air conditioner, food on floor from prior guests. sink had black junk around rim, frog croaking all night from roof of the walk way which was outside of our balcony. We had to go to the laundry mat until 11:00 pm just to wash and dry all of our linens so that we could use our own. The cleaning people can't even do a basic cleaning so do you think the sheets are clean????????? YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will never stay again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
1 Thank momSarasota_Florida
Hartsville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 19, 2007

I stayed at the Chattanooga Choo Choo during a work conference in April. Their meeting rooms were great, but their hotel rooms had a lot to be desired. They looked like they have not been updated since the 80's. The bed was uncomfortable and the carpet needed to be replaced. I felt dirty during my whole stay. I would try to find another hotel before I stayed here again.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business