“Choo Choo is the only place I would stay in Chattanooga”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Chicago
“Choo Choo is the only place I would stay in Chattanooga”
Reviewed July 19, 2007

Frankly, the Choo Choo is one of my favorite hotels and I am not a big train person. I tend to be a rather harsh critic of hotels and so I am surprised at some of the recent comments. Anyway, on to the Choo Choo.

The setting and the trains are lovely as is the lobby area. However, what I liked the most was that there are a number of restaurants, bars, gift shops, ice cream palors and other diversions at the hotel. On a nice evening you will find couples, families and others walking around the inner yard of the hotel perhaps with an ice cream cone, climbing on a train, etc. While we only stayed one evening, we wished we could have stayed two. I would recommend one of the package deals and go try out some of things going on at the hotel.

We stayed in one of the regular rooms and found it to be clean and comfortable. The pool area also looked nice. I would definetly recommend to anyone visiting the area.

• Liked — Fun Atomsphere, lots to do for everyone
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank mktozd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Very unique hotel and complex which offers plenty to do. The Trolley ride and Model Railroad Museum are great. It seems that they are doing a lot of painting and rehab of the exterior of the complex. The Station House with singing servers was well worth the cost. ..The history of this place is something to see. We will return someday.

• Liked — The train history
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Jeanz69
Bootstrap, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2007

We stayed at the Choo Choo in a train car just for the experience. My 7 and 4 year olds thought it was "cool". However, we more than likely will not stay there again. The train car room was not dirty as some reviews suggest, but the bathrooms in particular needed some updating and repairs. The trundle bed mattress was HORRIBLE (I slept there so my child could sleep comfortably) and the sheets and blankets, although clean, were in bad repair.

There is an odor about the place, but not in our room. I honestly think it is from the grease used in the dining cars. It kind of made me lose my appetite. Our room did not smell bad and was clean.

The gardens are truly lovely and well kept. The place has potential, but the buildings and the linens, etc. need some TLC.

We were close to Rock City, etc. and to the aquarium. Not bad drives to either.

I must agree with the previous review from the fourth of July. One night is plenty. Book another hotel for a longer stay. or just visit the Choo Choo.

• Liked — the idea of staying on a train car
  • Disliked — the condition of the buildings and the room equipment
1 Thank finallyhere1970
Covington, Kentucky
Reviewed July 9, 2007

The history of the hotel is fascinating. The property itself is a very interesting place to visit. There are shops, restaurants, an excellent model train museum. They have different room types, you can even stay in a train car, but we didn't do this during this visit. Our room was in building three, which is the newest of the buildings on site. The pool at bldg three is nice, the room wasn't as nice as the pool. It was a basic room, two double beds. Basic is the key word. The beds were very uncomfortable. The wireless internet was dependable but the table and two chairs in the room were not comfortable and do not provide adequate work space. The carpet was so dirty that it left white socks in need of bleaching -and had a couple of spots that looked like spills that had never been properly cleaned up. If you do stay at the hotel and are in building three, I recommend requesting one of the end rooms, especially if you have small children or will be carrying a load from your car to your room regularly. It is a long walk from the parking lot to one of the middle rooms, especially if you have a sleeping toddler in arms.

• Liked — The history
  • Disliked — Not comfortable & cleanliness leaves some to be desired.
1 Thank 2getheragain
Tenn
Reviewed July 3, 2007

We were in Chattanooga with our children the week of the 4th of July.
We only stayed one night at the Choo Choo just for the experience and
I would say it was worth it. My 3 1/2 year old loves trains, so we stayed in a train car there. It had a nice comfortable bed, but the bathroom was, of course, very old and I really didn't want to take a bath there. I don't think it was dirty, but it is just so old it was hard to tell.

The property is interesting to see and the gardens are beautiful. We took a trolly ride around the property and the guide told us about the buildings, etc.

My son enjoyed the model train but I didn't see it personally. We ate
dinner and buffet breakfast in the Garden restaurant and our family was really impressed with the food. There is an ice cream shop there too that we went to.

If you are looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel for a few nights stay, I would not recommend the Choo Choo. But if you are there for the night
and want to see a little history and have the "experience" I would highly recommend it.

One great thing about staying there is the free shuttle to the downtown area. The parking there can be expensive and congested, so the shuttle was a great perk.

2 Thank littlebit1Tenn
Homeplace, GA
Reviewed June 29, 2007

Based on the other reviews, I was very upset when I pricelined and found out the "Chattanooga Poo Poo" as someone else posted was my destination. My intention is to give just the facts and be fair in my opinion, not to pick this place apart. We stayed in building 2 which to my surprise was not as horrible as other reviews. We intended to write our review as the revolving door hotel..check in check out. We booked a three night stay. Beware if you use priceline they WILL NOT let you out of your reservation. Not even if the hotel imposes medical conditions. Upon inspection of the room we did not find any bugs. The had decorative photos of locomotives on the walls. A nice metal leg table. There was no unpleasant odor in the room initially, no leftovers from other guests ect. I did notice an indention in the wall, but it did not appear to be rotting, it seemed like it had been more of a shoddy repair then wallpapered over. We purchased a pack and play for our toddler, just so he would have a clean place to be. There was a horrible smell twice in our room like sewage, also smelled this all the time in their parking lot, and once at the Aquarium. Sidewalks smelled, in need of pressure washing. "Balcony rooftop" outside the sliding glass door gross. The third night made our barely bareable stay turn horrible quick. We arrived to find our beds made, linens changed, a STRONG airfreshner smell in the room, and my children's p.j.'s folded with their travel pillows, and toys arranged. Kudos to housekeeping. They also cleaned and replinished towels neatly. After bathing my children we began to put them to bed. Which the beds were already gross and horrible as it was. Threadbare, beverage looking stains ect. As I turned back the bed sheets to put my little one in, MUCH to my horror, there was either dried blood or bloodstains on the sheet. There is no excuse for this in any star hotel. I would like to say that the housekeeping was extremely friendly the entire visit, we often saw them in the hallway and requested items we would need at night, because we did not spend any "daylight" hours at the hotel. They were always very accommodating and never seemed as if we were putting them out. Other than the staff , this is an experience I am glad to leave behind. We enjoyed so many things about Chattanooga, just could have had a better sleep experience. I think with some SERIOUS renovating the Choo Choo could be a real nice place. We really enjoyed the model railroad museum and garden pond on the grounds.

• Liked — The staff was nice.
  • Disliked — Not feeling clean or comfortable in the beds
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank MySouthernCharm
Tampa, Fl
Reviewed June 28, 2007

This was a fun stay. The lobby of the hotel is really pretty. The hotel has three different hotels each with a pool of its own. There are also rooms that are old train cars. There are a couple of restaurants on site, although the pizza isn't that great. Definitely splure and try the Station House restaurant where the waiters sing. Really great food and entertainment! A bit pricey, but totally worth it! The hotel could use some updates as far as paint and bedding, etc. There is a free electric trolley that leaves from the hotel that can take you to closeby attractions. We stayed 3 days and didn't drive our car at all after we parked it in the lot. They also have horse and carriage rides and buffet restaurant for breakfast etc. Great place for people who have an affection for trains.

• Liked — Didn't have to drive to get to anything
  • Disliked — Beds - They need to be upgraded!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple