“Not as great as expected” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chattanooga Choo Choo

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Chicago, Illinois
“Not as great as expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

My husband is an avid train fan. So, a trip to the Chatanooga Choo Choo
Hotel seemed a great idea. Although is was an ok stay, it was not as
great as expected. The room was average at best-nothing great.
The restaurant-The Gardens, was adequate but again nothing special.
We thought we would check out the train layout housed at the facitility,
but to our surprise, tickets were needed to be purchased. Surely, something like a train layout should have been free, since the price of the hotel room was
not cheap. We were surprised that the hotel is in the middle of a slum-downtown
area. We didn't leave the site, so it didn't matter, but the downtown area was
surely not a place to be at night. There was adequate security at the hotel site.
Overall, it was a good experience but not a great one. I would not recommend
this outing.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
Hi Kathy,
I am glad your overall experience was good—I regret that it was not great!
In addressing your comments, it is disappointing to hear that you felt our hotel is average at best. We continue to do upgrades on our property. As a matter of fact, we are in the process of beginning some upgrades. We are purchasing new corridor and room carpet for two of our buildings. The Choo Choo is not in the slums. It is in the heart of a tremendous revitalization of the Southside. There are millions of dollars being invested in retail shops, restaurants and housing! The condos across the street go for about $350,000 plus.
Our train display is a very popular and widely visited venue. There is a team of volunteer workers who spend many hours upgrading, repairing and revamping the display. The train display is in some of our packages. We hope that you will come back and stay again when in Chattanooga.
All the Best,
Jim Bambary
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

I recently had the pleasure of staying the night in one of the railcars with my grandson. The two of us had planned a get-away before school resumed. He was fascinated with the thought of sleeping in an authentic railcar! We had a great time strolling the property and ordering pizza at the Diner. The short walk to board the electric shuttle was an added bonus. The room was very comfortable, the staff super-nice and the experience one I hope we can repeat again soon!

• Stayed August 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It is great to hear that you had a grand experience. Your comments will be shared with our staff. Our railcar rooms are a big attraction for children and train enthusiasts. I am so glad that your grandson had a great time. Bring him back soon for another trip.
Jill Ellis
Quality Assurance
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed at the Choo Choo with our children and grandchildren and had a wonderful time. The suite that we reserved was perfect for our crew. The rooms were just the right size - they were clean and very comfortable. The restaurants were great - we ate breakfast every day and really enjoyed the buffet. Lunches were good as well. We had one dinner there and it was very good. The pool was very cool - the grandkids loved it!

The service by all of the staff was excellent - all of our needs were attended to promptly and efficiently.

We would highly recommend this hotel and we will certainly stay there again on our next trip to Tennessee.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your very kind comments. I must agree that the service standard of our staff is great. We get many in-house comment cards with similar comments. Our suite hotel rooms are very attractive for extended families. I am glad that you enjoyed our food outlets and will certainly forward your comments. Thank you for recommending us to others and we look forward to your return trip.

Jill Ellis
Quility Assurance
ALABAMA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stumbled across this hotel via our GPS as were traveling the World's Longest Yard Sale this past weekend. My husband and I were very pleased with our room and the staff. We stayed on 8/5/2010 and we were coming back through Chattanooga on 8/7/2010 and decided to spend another night. We had a Superior King both nights (in Hotel 3) and both rooms were clean and comfortable. It was quiet and we slept well both nights. (unlike our experience we had further North).
Thank you Choo Choo for an enjoyable stay. We loved the Train Depot atmosphere, very unique and part of history!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay. This is indeed a unique complex with many things to do right on the property, without leaving. Thank you for staying 2 nights with us. We are very proud of the historic heritage of the Choo Choo. We hope to see you again in the near future.

All the Best,

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

My stay at the Choo Choo was fabulous especially the courteous staff. Great food, relaxing pools and entertainment for both the kids and adults resulted in a wonderful vacation. This is our third time staying here and we will definitely be planning another trip to the Choo Choo. The rooms were spacious and clean and love the option of staying in a train car.

Choo Choo.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, August 22, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to write your email.

We appreciate you visiting the Choo Choo with your family. Your comments about the staff are similar to other reviews we get—thanks for recognizing them.
We look forward to your return.
Thanks,

Henderson, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

This stay was not so bad, but there were a few significant problems. We stayed in a fifth floor room in Hotel Building # 3. At check-in we were given a map that directed us to drive around the building, past hotel buildings # 1 and 2 to a parking place in front of Hotel building #3. Upon arrival there we entered the building and found no one there, no administration presence at all, just a with two elevators at one end. It was hot inside and the outside elevators were hot. We entered the room and found it acceptable. Decent size, small but acceptable bathroom, a sofa area with a desk, old fashioned tube 28" tv, but not bad. What irritated me most was the walk from the room to the lobby. It was either a walk around the buildings on a hot black asphalt parking lot or a walk thru the other two hotel buildings, down the halls of other guests' rooms and finally down a walk which used to be the train station walkway. It was over a QUARTER OF A MILE from my building to the lobby, 520 paces (yards) to be precise. I admit, I felt like and outcast. Other guests we talked to had this same complaint. I went to the check-in deck and asked about a possible change to hotel building 1 and was told that the rooms in building #3, 5th floor, were the more expensive, deluxe rooms. I actually laughed a little. I told the check-in registrar about my dissatisfaction with the long walk. He told me I could call the desk and request a golf cart to come to the hotel building # 3 to transport us to and from our rooms. I said ok and left. The problem with that is that I would feel obligated to tip the driver $3 to $5 each trip. Usually I go to and from my room 3 or 4 times a day and don't believe calling for a cart and tipping each time is a viable option. I know that is an option, but if faced with that option, I would just go to another hotel rather than deal with it. The obvious solution is to have a couple of larger shuttle carts traveling to and from the lobby to the outlying building every five minutes, or so. This would have a cost to the hotel, but the alternative is that I would not consider staying here again and I don't think I am alone.
The other (minor) problems were that the temperature of the shower varied from normal to very hot, depending on, I suppose, whether someone in a nearby room was using the shower or flushed. Also, it is irritating to walk down halls littered with room-service trays with uneaten food until up to noon each day.
Good points: Rooms were reasonably spacious and clean, cleaning staff did a good job, air conditioning worked well, sofa was comfortable, king bed was very comfortable and the bedding was good, ice was available one floor down, which was ok. other guests appeared to enjoy the outside pool.

As a point of reference, I see I have posted 14 times with trip advisor. I enjoy posting favorable reviews. This is my first post which is not favorable. The hotel was not that bad. I would not characterize it as a "dump", but that trek from the hotel building to the lobby felt almost like an affront or an insult. I felt almost like an "undesirable". I hope that can be remedied.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your impressions of our complex. Our guest rooms in Hotel 3 are are often requested from previous guests. We appreciate your compliments on the bedding and spaciousness of your room. It's also great to read that our housekeeping team exceeded your expectations. However, I'm sorry that you didn't like the distance of your room from the lobby. Our property is very unique for a number reasons, one being its size. We have 25 acres of land and that's why our security staff provides a complimentary shuttle service between our buildings. Tipping usually occurs when handling baggage.. We will be replacing all of our televisions very soon with flat screens. I hope you return in the future.
Regards.
Fairhope, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

We stayed here in June 2010. While the concept is great, the hotel is in need of some serious renovation - especially for the price we paid per night. The grounds and the restaurant were dated. The train car we stayed in needed a good deep cleaning and it should be noted that the air conditioners in the train cars cannot keep up with the hot Chattanooga summer weather. At breakfast in the morning, the restaurant manager was grumbling at his employees making for an uncomfortable meal. I don't think there's anything the GM could really do to improve this place. The owners just need to spend some money and bring this hotel back to its glory. We felt like we had arrived 40 years too late.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
Thank you for your comments on your last stay at the Choo Choo. I am sorry we didn’t live up to your expectations. I will speak to the Restaurant Manager about his actions. It has been the hottest Summer in years and it does challenge the A/C at times. We do continue to invest in capital projects on a regular basis. We are beginning a soft good renovation of 100 rooms in one of our buildings .You are never too late, please come back to visit.