“If I can help one family” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chattanooga Choo Choo

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Tennessee
“If I can help one family”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2006

If by writing this review can I keep one family from being severely disappointed from a stinky, musty room then the time I've spent filling out this review is worth it.

Take my advice, a cheaper room at another hotel is probably cleaner and you can still "visit" the Choo Choo if you want to look around. The money you save can be used for another attraction or something.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — The nasty look of the rooms and the hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — Save your money and get a cheaper room. You'll not be disappointed.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank justanut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
Smyrna, TN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

I'm glad we only stayed 1 night. 2 nights would have been way too much!

As an agent I reviewed the hotel with a fine tooth comb. However, I did not eat at any of the resturants on site.

REGISTRATION- no problem. Check-in is 3:00 - got there at 11:30 and the room was ready. So they let us check in. Nice people. Got room 363 in building 2.

The main lobby was attractive but certainly needs a lot of work.

BUILDING 2 - Stinky. Elevator OLD and SLOW and a bit scary.

ROOM - Carpet musky, smelly, uneven and filthy.

BATHROOM - Dirty (did have a nice shower head). Mold all under rim of sink. Did have enough towels.

BED - Linens were clean - however - a roach crawled over the sheet as soon as I was under the cover! Box-springs looked as if someone had urniated (or something similiar) all over the side.

TV - Good. Speakers did have some static in them at times.

Hotel is just plain OLD and certainly has seen better days. It needs renovation or torn down badly. NOT WORTH THE PRICE.

My late father was a railroader and I really was looking forward to this, as I was raised loving trains. Heartbreaking dissappointment.

• Liked — Nice staff.
  • Disliked — The room.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank njwill37167
wasington, dc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2006

I had very high hopes for this hotel. I was in town for a convention, but wanted something fun and different. I stay in a lot of hotels, and many Holiday Inns. The front desk staff told me they would check on some packages I was expecting, I never heard from them again. The next morning I discovered they had been waiting the whole time. The bathroom in my room was not cleaned. A "welcome " card on the bed was filthy and stained, yet was placed on the clean linens. I spoke to the manager and was assured that it would be dealt with. On returning to my room that evening, the card was pulled out of the trash! and was back on the pillow. Again I went to the front desk to discuss the situation. As I was speakiing to the manager, three other people stopped to add their own complaints about the place- mostly dealing with an apathetic or hostile staff and unclean facilities. Other than the historic lobby, the place was grubby and run down. Also disturbing was an out of the way gift shop glorifying the confederate flag and selling bordeline racist material. Visit the lobby, but stay away from this hotel.

• Liked — Lobby
  • Disliked — filth
  • Tips/Secrets — visit, do not stay overnight
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank monstergizmos
Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2006

I would say that this stay was just ok for our family of 4. All the areas from the hotel lobby (major sections of paint peeling from the ceilings and walls), to the hall areas (stained/worn carpet), to the room (broken light switch and malfunctioning coffee pot, dirty walls, hard to open sliding door, peeling wallpaper) to the public areas (broken doors, cloudy pool water) were very worn. Lighting throughout the property and in the room was very dim which contributed to the dreariness and made you wonder what it would look like if you could actually see more clearly. What salvaged the experience was the following: front desk people were nice, towels were sufficient for party of four (didn't have to call down to the front desk which has become a given in other recent hotel stays), the housekeeping of the room was excellent (no hair, smudges, smells or other signs of the people before us) , beds were comfortable, shower worked well and was hot (though bathroom lighting was poor and no ventilation fan) and the convenience to the Chattanooga sites that we visited. The complex itself was interesting, quiet and pleasant to walk around at night. I might return to Chattanooga, but probably would not stay here again.

• Liked — Adequate housekeeping, convenience.
  • Disliked — Overall rundown appearance and dim lighting.
  • Tips/Secrets — Perhaps there are recently renovated rooms. I would definitely ask and request one.
  • Stayed September 2006
2 Thank 59greatbooks
TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2006

I was kinda hesitant after reading some reviews but decided to try the place out myself. My husband and I took our 2 girls to Chattanooga for Fall break from school. They loved staying at the Chattanooga choo choo. We booked a Fall Fun package. We had e/thing at the front desk waiting for us when we arrived(tickets, halloween goody bags, etc.) The room was fine, staff nice, indoor pool great and the buffet at the Gardens Restaraunt was really good. My kids enjoyed having an arcade there and they liked the railroad musuem. The landscaping/pond is really pretty. I got some really nice pictures of my girls there. I would definitely recommend staying and visiting the Chattanooga Choo Choo Holiday Inn. My family will definitely go back.

• Liked — All the different restaraunts and things to do onsite
  • Disliked — I have no dislikes
  • Tips/Secrets — try one of the package deals
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled with family
2 Thank ibwoody
Halifax, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2006

Asked for Non smoking room, was allocated room in same corridor as smoking rooms, place reeked of smoke, disgusting!. thank goodness we were only there one night!!

Stayed August 2006
TN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2006

The Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel was OK. It is a bit run down. For the amount of money you pay, you are better off staying at a newer/nicer hotel downtown closer to where everything is. The hotel needs a lot of TLC.

I would recommend visiting the Chattanooga Choo Choo rather than staying there. There is a large model train museum (very cheap to get in), a giant steam engine train you can get in, shops and restaurants, and the garden and fountain area is really nice.

The trolley ride is cheap to do to, but was very disappointing. You got a nice view of the parking lot and garbage and weeds on the boarders of the property there and back. The Choo Choo was nice to visit, but not to stay there. That’s my two cents of my experience.

• Liked — Swimming pool at building 3
  • Disliked — Run down look, needs TLC
  • Tips/Secrets — Visit here, but don't stay.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family