“Beyond horrible”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #37 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed October 5, 2006

I had very high hopes for this hotel. I was in town for a convention, but wanted something fun and different. I stay in a lot of hotels, and many Holiday Inns. The front desk staff told me they would check on some packages I was expecting, I never heard from them again. The next morning I discovered they had been waiting the whole time. The bathroom in my room was not cleaned. A "welcome " card on the bed was filthy and stained, yet was placed on the clean linens. I spoke to the manager and was assured that it would be dealt with. On returning to my room that evening, the card was pulled out of the trash! and was back on the pillow. Again I went to the front desk to discuss the situation. As I was speakiing to the manager, three other people stopped to add their own complaints about the place- mostly dealing with an apathetic or hostile staff and unclean facilities. Other than the historic lobby, the place was grubby and run down. Also disturbing was an out of the way gift shop glorifying the confederate flag and selling bordeline racist material. Visit the lobby, but stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank monstergizmos

Reviewed October 3, 2006

I would say that this stay was just ok for our family of 4. All the areas from the hotel lobby (major sections of paint peeling from the ceilings and walls), to the hall areas (stained/worn carpet), to the room (broken light switch and malfunctioning coffee pot, dirty walls, hard to open sliding door, peeling wallpaper) to the public areas (broken doors, cloudy pool water) were very worn. Lighting throughout the property and in the room was very dim which contributed to the dreariness and made you wonder what it would look like if you could actually see more clearly. What salvaged the experience was the following: front desk people were nice, towels were sufficient for party of four (didn't have to call down to the front desk which has become a given in other recent hotel stays), the housekeeping of the room was excellent (no hair, smudges, smells or other signs of the people before us) , beds were comfortable, shower worked well and was hot (though bathroom lighting was poor and no ventilation fan) and the convenience to the Chattanooga sites that we visited. The complex itself was interesting, quiet and pleasant to walk around at night. I might return to Chattanooga, but probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank 59greatbooks
Reviewed September 28, 2006

I was kinda hesitant after reading some reviews but decided to try the place out myself. My husband and I took our 2 girls to Chattanooga for Fall break from school. They loved staying at the Chattanooga choo choo. We booked a Fall Fun package. We had e/thing at the front desk waiting for us when we arrived(tickets, halloween goody bags, etc.) The room was fine, staff nice, indoor pool great and the buffet at the Gardens Restaraunt was really good. My kids enjoyed having an arcade there and they liked the railroad musuem. The landscaping/pond is really pretty. I got some really nice pictures of my girls there. I would definitely recommend staying and visiting the Chattanooga Choo Choo Holiday Inn. My family will definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled with family
2  Thank ibwoody
Reviewed August 26, 2006

Asked for Non smoking room, was allocated room in same corridor as smoking rooms, place reeked of smoke, disgusting!. thank goodness we were only there one night!!

Stayed: August 2006
Reviewed August 12, 2006

The Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel was OK. It is a bit run down. For the amount of money you pay, you are better off staying at a newer/nicer hotel downtown closer to where everything is. The hotel needs a lot of TLC.

I would recommend visiting the Chattanooga Choo Choo rather than staying there. There is a large model train museum (very cheap to get in), a giant steam engine train you can get in, shops and restaurants, and the garden and fountain area is really nice.

The trolley ride is cheap to do to, but was very disappointing. You got a nice view of the parking lot and garbage and weeds on the boarders of the property there and back. The Choo Choo was nice to visit, but not to stay there. That’s my two cents of my experience.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Factor8
Reviewed August 2, 2006

It was a terrible experience at the Chattanooga Choo Choo. When we arrived they did not have any toiletry supplies, and when asked to the staff to bring it to the room, she sighted, rolled the eyes and left. When she came back instead of handling the requested items, she practically throw them to me. Also, the room had a broken ironing board, I called and asked for one that works the front desk staff never made the request, so it never arrived. When I made my claim at the front desk, the guy (that I made the request) put his head down, and did not dare to ask me how my stay was. We did not felt welcome at all during our stay, thank God it was just one night. And we even fear because of the lack of security of the room. The parking lot was dark and spooky looking. We will never stay there again and we will not recommend it at all.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Viajera123
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My boyfriend and I visited the choo choo and had a wonderful stay! We ate at all of the restaurants and the food was very good. We loved the little coffee shop and went there every morning. We really enjoyed our room looking out over the pool and courtyard. We spend a lot of time there! We will definetly be back and would recommend to others without hesitation! The staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business