“Pleasant trip”

Ranked #37 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Atlanta, GA
“Pleasant trip”
Reviewed October 10, 2005

We really enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Choo Choo. We stayed in Bldg 3. This building has the waterfall and hottub. We ate breakfast at the Garden Terrace Restuarant and were pleased. Also Dinner in the Diner Car was very nice with jazz music playing in the background. The staff was very friendly and gave us a personal tour of the complex. The Conductor on the Trolley car had a great sense of humor. He really made the whole trip come together. Chattanooga is about 2 hours drive from Atlanta, GA. (Nice getaway from all the traffic congestion in Atlanta.) There is so much to see and do in Chattanooga.

5 Thank JusTravelAtlanta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (753)
  • Korean first
Bowling Green, KY
Reviewed October 8, 2005

I was skeptical of the previous reviews on this property- I mean how bad could it really be? Well, it's bad. And sad. And so depressing. The hotel is made up of three properties and the one we stayed in really did look like a prison. It must have been designed in the 1960s as some sort of Oriental themed hideaway. Now it just looks like a lot of decaying concrete. Our room was large but falling apart. Water stains all over the ceilings. A very pink bathroom that only one person could fit in at a time- if that. There are three pools but since it is Fall we could only really use the indoor one in building 1 which I had to walk my two young kids to in the cold. There are no lobbies in buildings 2 and 3. No extras of any kind. Even the muffins I bought at the cafe were tasteless. Unfortunately we had used Priceline so we couldn't leave and go somewhere else. I did however complain to Priceline that they should not use this property anymore. I can't believe anyone would be satisified. I have stayed in many Motel 6s that were nicer than this hotel. The worst part is it's in a dicey area of town- I grew up near NYC and did not feel very safe around this hotel neighborhood-that's how questionable it is. And it's far from a lot of attractions. The only reason I'm giving it two dots is that the staff was nice and the hotel did provide a free shuttle to downtown attractions. Skip this one- and I don't say that lightly.

12 Thank teha
Bristol
Reviewed September 20, 2005

On arrival at the Hotel we were very impressed with the hotel lobby, however that was it , we found the accomodation blocks to be very tired in their decor, the room lobbies were dirty and musty and I was surprised to see that pets were accomodated in the rooms evidence of this also appeared on the stained carpets.
Sorry but no thanks.

8 Thank jmhl
London
Reviewed September 14, 2005

As several reviewers have pointed out, this could be a wonderful place if money were spent on restoring it. When we walked round the premises, we came across what might once have been a conference centre and it was just rotting, rather sad. That said, we were happy enough with our one-night visit. We stayed a few days after Labor Day and it was therefore v quiet. We didn't hear much noise from other guests/children in the pool. We enjoyed the station building, gardens and trains but did find the shop rather tired and the restaurant musty smelling. We had dinner and breakfast there and both meals were average.

Our room was on the ground floor of Building 3 and was clean and spacious so no complaints there. We swam in the pool in Building 2 at night but couldn't stay long as only one underwater pool light worked which reduced visibility.

5 Thank Why_leave_a_name
Plainfield, IL
Reviewed August 13, 2005

I had booked our reservations using the choo choo website. The pictures on their website make the hotel look awesome. My family and I excitedly checked in during August. The check-in area was really cool and we were thrilled to see all of the trains outside. We were given our room assignment. We checked into a room in hotel 1 on the second floor.

We pulled up and saw how dated the hotel was. We thought, well maybe the room are re-furbished. The website pictures showed updated rooms. We went upstairs and had to walk throught the pool area to get to our room. It looked like it had been repaired many times. At that point, I wasn't sure I would let my children swim in it.

After going through numerous doors with our children and luggage, we finally arrived at our room. The table top was falling off the table, we had to push it back on. The room was sparsely decorated, if I would even call it that. It looked nothing like the website. My husband and I thought, well maybe this is what Chattanooga is like - we'll just deal with it. But then after seeing the ashtray, we realized that the room was a smoking room. My children have asthma. This was not going to work.

I had assumed we could easily get a non-smoking room. We saw no other guests in our hotel. I called the front desk and was told that the only room I could get would be a non-smoking room with a king bed.

We promptly checked out and I returned the keys and parking pass. There was no consideration from the front desk to suggest another hotel to consider.

I was completely disappointed. The website makes the hotel look fabulous. The pictures are deceiving.

We realized, however, that the hotel was not representative of Chattanooga. We ended up at a great hotel with a suite for only $7 more per night than the Choo Choo Holiday Inn would have cost us. And we received a complimentary breakfast each morning for our family.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank mom24boysil
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 1, 2005

My wife unfortunately booked our reservation and after 2-nights
we decided to check out early due to the accomodations.
Both indoor and outdoor pools were not clean an addition to the
poor condition of our actual room. The room itself was not remotely
close to our standards from a cleanliness standpoint and we stood in
water because the bath tub would not drain. Other than enjoying the
Station House Restaurant, our experience was not a good one.

Stayed July 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Huntingdon, UK
Reviewed July 26, 2005

I found that the Choo Choo was just about the only authentic and original site in Chattanooga. It has real character. We stayed in one of the train cars, which was really romantic. The train car itself is not modern, the bathroom and the fixtures look old, just as you would expect from an old train. In fact you can see the old luggage racks all around the room. The entire room, including the bathroom have an old-time feel, when life was slow. The room may look old-fashioned, but it's clean and very cute.

The on-site restaurant was fairly good too and most of all, the place was quiet. If you can appreciate a place that has history and character, then go to the Choo Choo. I went there for that and not for the kitsch of Ruby Falls or to shop (I can do that anywhere, really).

• Stayed May 2004