“Great time at the Choo Choo!”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #37 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Washington, DC
“Great time at the Choo Choo!”
Reviewed July 3, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Chattanooga Choo Choo. We stay there every time we travel through Tennessee and love staying there. The hotel staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. We usually stay in Building 1 and are always happy with our room. The room and bathroom were clean and the AC worked wonderfully. We enjoy walking around the grounds – there’s plenty to see and do and lots of eateries right on the property which makes it convenient. We like to eat at the Gardens Restaurant and also love the pizza place and both are reasonably priced. Besides what’s available on the grounds, the hotel is close to lots of restaurants and attractions fun for the family both day and night in the downtown area. We always have a great time staying at the historic Chattanooga Choo Choo and highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, July 11, 2009
Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate your business and it is our goal to make sure we are meeting the needs of our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again on your next visit to town.

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Traveling to Chattanooga, TN, I was at first very leery of staying in the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel. From reading about potential bed bugs to possibly having to undertake the role of a CSI investigator while staying in my room, I thought something undesirable was going to happen. Now I will explain some of these myths were false.

Myth: The lobby reeked of mold.
Truth: It did not reek of mold. It was quite clean, actually, and very spacious. Remember, the building is quite old. The lobby has been very well taken care of, and the furniture was obviously new. Many families and couples were in there taking pictures.

Myth: The food service is poor.
Truth: It wasn't poor at all. Now the breakfast was overpriced and the pizza was not the greatest I ever had, but it was actually quite good. Like the poster below, I enjoyed eating in a train car. The breakfast area had a very nice selection, and there were a variety of juices. A lot of families were eating there and enjoying the meal.

Myth: The bathroom/room is dingy.
Truth: The bedding was extremely comfortable and the furniture was updated. The bathroom was also updated and clean. I was pleasantly surprised. I took my sandals off, and my feet were not dirty at all from walking around. The room was spacious, and though someone made the comment that one could fit two kings in there compared to two queens... who cares? Maybe having a little extra space is good. I certainly did not feel cramped in the room.

Myth: The pool is dirty.
Truth: The only part I really did not like was the jacuzzi by Building Three. That needs to be updated because the headrests are worn and not all the jets are working. However, the pool itself was refreshing, and the waterfalls added to the fun. People definitely came out there to swim often. It was a very nice place to spend a few hours in the afternoon.

Myth: There is no shampoo, conditioner, or a Do Not Disturb sign.
Truth: All were there in the room, and they certainly were not hard to find.

Myth: The area is unsafe.
Truth: Any downtown area will have its safe and unsafe parts. The hotel grounds are fine, and people were walking around later in the evening. It is near the Tennessee Aquarium, some used bookstores, and a few great restaurants. I recommend the Mexican restaurant by the Aquarium... it is a brisk walk, but the hotel is located next to a bus station, so you can take the bus. You can also drive to Lookout Mountain to have a very nice day. The unsafe part, if you want to know, is the area of Rossville Road. It is not terribly far from the hotel, but far enough that you definitely feel safe while staying there.

Truth: Yes, the buildings where the hotel rooms are older, but they have been renovated.

Other Perks:
-Two new computers with high-speed internet in the lobby area.
-The front desk called our room an hour or so after we arrived to check up on us.
-The hotel was charming, historical landmark.
-To the person who wrote about the HBO, you can see HBO anywhere! Have discretion when it comes to watching television! Run-of-the-mill, regular channels are on the TVs in the room. The TVs are quite large as well.

Recommendations-
-The jacuzzi needs work.
-A bell should be placed in the pizza restaurant to indicate that a person has arrived.

...Yet that's all. It was a very nice stay. It would be great to visit again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
Wow Wow Wow Thanks for your kind review about our hotel and staff.
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the world famous Choo Choo. It means a lot to our staff to see this kind of a review. I will review your remaks with the staff. The recommendations that you made are being handled .
Thanks again for you time and kind words.

alabama
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I reserched the hotel before staying. It had good prices and a indoor pool big plus. I went with my 18 month son 8year old sister and grandparents. We had the best time my son loved the trains. The staff was so nice and helpful. Food was ok I have had better. But overall the hotel is beautiful. I loved it and cant wait to take my husband and 4 month old.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Thanks for your kind review about our hotel and staff.
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo. It means a lot to our staff to see this kind of a review. We can't wait to have you back at the Choo Choo.
Just give us a call..

Deltona, Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2009

After reading some of the poor reviews of the place I was leery about staying. My worries were put to rest the moment I arrived.

I enjoy staying in areas that have a lot of historical background. The hotel has a lot of character and charm, which added to the experience. The gardens were well maintained and hearing the birds chirping in the morning set the tone for a good day. Even though I stayed in building 3 and it was far from the lobby, it gave me a great excuse to get out for a good walk. Everybody needs some exercise...yes even on vacation!

I stayed in building 3. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. There were no bed bugs as other posters had complained about. The AC worked well, although I had to turn it off during the night because it was quite cold and loud. An easy fix.

I enjoyed the outdoor pool. The waterfall really made it special. The hottub was just the right temperature and under nice shade. The ppol was a very active part of the hotel. There were many families with children. I'm a teacher, so I am used to seeing and hearing kids all day long, so that didn't bother me at all.

I ate at the hotel a few times. The night I arrived, I ate in the Silver Diner car for some pizza. Okay, the pizza wasn't spectacular, but it was the experience of eating in a rail car and listening to the old 50's and 60's music if yesteryear. In the morning I ate at the breakfast buffet. The food was okay and a little overpriced, but there were plenty of options and service was fine

The staff at the hotel was very helpful from the moment I arrived. They even called the room a few minutes later the make sure everything was going ok. I have stayed in several hotels and not all take the time to do that. So, kuddos to the staff.

The only thing that the hotel could improve on is putting up more signs about where the pools, fitness center, and business centers are, and hourse for some of the in house atrractions. We did get a map, but it helps to have signs that can direct you as well.

Some of the posters had mentioned the hotel was in a not so great section of town. Come on! No, it's not Beverrly Hills, but its not in the ghetto. I felt very safe at the hotel. There were several security cameras around and the security stafff regularly rode arond in their carts to patrol the area. Any downtown area will have good and bad spots. Yes, if you were to drive about a mile or two down the road, it wouldn't be the best spot, but the actual hotel location is completely safe. The hotel was centrally located near the Tennessee Aquarium and lots of little shops and restaurantes. I enjoyed stopping in some of the eclectic shops.

So, was it perfect? No.

Was it a safe, clean place to sleep at night? Yes.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Little317
Thanks for your great review about our hotel and staff.
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo. It means a lot to our staff to see this kind of a review. We strive to create great service. Your room was recently updated and the free parking and shuttle is always a hit with our guests.

Look forward to your next visit.

Georgia
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I just completed a week at the Holiday Inn Choo Choo. It was absolutely wonderful for kids and adults, which was the make-up of our group. The staff went out of their way to be helpful, the sales people and the manager made sure everything went well, the food was some of the best I have ever had at a conference, the three pools were very much appreciated and were always clean with towels. You can get on and off the free electric shuttle to town right at the Choo Choo where it begins and ends...10 minutes to town. Having different restaurants to choose from was nice too. The Jukebox Junction Theater right across the street was amazing.....a super performance I would recommend to everyone vising Chattanooga. Hats off to the Holiday Inn Choo Choo in Chattanooga, TN. We will be back next year!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank BarbaraGeorgia
Thanks for your comments!!!

It's exciting to hear great comments like yours ,especially when you are speaking about a group that visited our hotel. We have many repeat groups and we are thrilled to host them. Thanks for your comments about the staff. We have the best staff!!

Thanks again---We look forward to next year..!!

Western NC
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We just returned from staying at the Choo Choo. We opted for the "train car". We have a four year old who loves trains and thought he would love it for his B-day. He did! Not so much for the parents! Very Shabby! Entire Complex needs an overhaul. Had dinner at The Garden Restaurant (part of hotel) expensive and disgusting. Do NOT eat there. I think the food is brought in from another location. It arrives with warming covers (like a hospital) and is really nasty. We had thought about eating pizza in the Silver Diner and after checking it out decided it was probably just reheated pizza so we ate at The Garden. Unless major renovation we will never stay at the hotel again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 30, 2009
Thanks for taking the time to write your email.

I'm sorry that we did not live up to your expectations.
We take your comments very seriously. I wish you would have called us during your stay, so that we could address any issue you had at that time. I believe describing our hotel as a vert shabby is a bit harsh. I'm glad that the thousands of other guests don't have that opinion. The train cars have been upgraded in the last 2 years. The plate covers are used in restaurants around the world to keep food hot and safe. We have just finished last year 1 million dollar renovation to our guest rooms. In the last 3 years, we have spent 3 million dollars in renovation our hotel complex ,in particular, to our guest rooms.

I would be happy to speak with you regarding your stay.

Thanks,

Atlanta
Reviewed June 26, 2009

This property is located downtown but away from the high traffic tourist area. It is convenient to the free electric bus station next door, which makes your trip to the aquarium, riverboat, and Imax just a few minutes away. The complex has a few nice curio shops, a few restaurants, an impressive electric train display, and a simple trolley ride. What it needed was obvious: "A real running Chattanooga Choo Choo". Well now it has it! There is a weekend train ride and they now have a musical show, "Elwood Smooch Chatanooga Choo Choo Show" next door.
Now as for the room...
We stayed in building 3 which was had convenient free parking but was a small hike to the main building. Our room was clean, comfortable, with a nice view of the pool area. Although the hotel has an indoor pool, we tried the outdoor pool at our building and were not disappointed. It was clean with a nice waterfall attraction. The co-located jacuzzi was at the right temperature but had only one of the four jets working.
Some mention has been made here about the section of town. Well, it is in an area where several buildings are vacant. That said, you really are staying in a 24 acre compound with a security guard booth and mag locks that require a hotel key to enter guest buildings, 24 hours a day. The complementary electric CARTA shuttle is next door to the registration building and the buses run at 5 minute intervals.
Negatives? Well, the air conditioning in our room was louder than most hotels. You might consider turning it down at night to minimize cycling.

• Liked — Free parking yet conveninet to downtown
  • Disliked — Loud air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank GaryinStoneMountain
Thanks for your kind review about our hotel .
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo. Your comments about the room and pool are greatly appreciated. I will share them with the staff..The jacuzzi has been repaired.
I hope you return soon.