“Not a 3 Star Property”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #39 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I stayed for one night in Building 3 with my sister and two young children. I had heard this was newly remodeled ..maybe the other buildings were remodeled but Building 3 had outdated and undersized furniture and the bathroom needs updating. The room was pretty clean just not 3 star quality. The A/C did not work properly. Building 3 is the fartherest from the lobby. No restrooms near the pool at Blding 3..had to go back to your room for restrooms. The pool was not clean and they had cheap plastic chairs for poolside. Not all jets were working properly in the jacuzzie. We went to the indoor pool and there were restrooms there but not obvious..had to search for them. When you walk into the lobby and see the lobby, you think "Oh this is a very nice hotel" but then you see your room it doesn't match the lobby perception. I am glad I paid a discounted price, I would have been furious if I had paid over $100 for a room there. Some Hampton Inns and Marriott Courtyards are much nicer than this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to write your email.

I'm sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. We take your comments very seriously. I wish you would have called us during your stay, so that we could address any issue you had at that time. We have just finished a 1 million dollar renovation to building 3 in 75 of our guest rooms. The first 2 floors in building 3 were renovated in 2005 .In the last 3 years, we have spent 3 million dollars in renovation our hotel complex ,in particular, to our guest rooms.

I would be happy to speak with you regarding your stay. We would love to have you come back and give usanother try.

Thanks,

Reviewed June 23, 2009

I took my 8 year old niece to spend the night in one of the rail cars for her birthday. The entire experience was great!! She was mesmerized by the poodle skirts in the lobby attracting us to the Choo Choo Chaboogie Show. The train car was so much fun for both of us. She was able to have her own daybed. The room was clean and very inviting. The special aspects of sleeping in a real train car was so much fun for my niece. All of the staff at the Choo Choo treated us kindly and professionally. I am very thankful for the experience we had.

• Stayed: May 2009

Thanks for your kind review about our hotel and staff.
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo. We strive to create great service. It means a lot to our staff to see this kind of a review. The trains cars are a big hit with the children.
Thanks for your recommendation.

Reviewed June 20, 2009

Tdhe second irtiest motels i've been in. Made a promise to myself years ago to always stay in new or nearly new motels. I asked when booking and was told they were in the process of remodeling this one. I got the impression from the answer that this one newly remodeled. I broke my own rule by not persisting till i got a straight answer. The first room had peeling wall paper and paint on the ceiling. T here were definite water issues with the room and it smelled moldy. I asked for another room . The staff member was very helpful but the second room wasn"t much better, someone had been smoking in it.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank hawlass
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2009

Thank you for your comments on your last stay. I am sorry we didn’t meet your expectations .I wish I knew where you stayed, so we could check it out. Our 16 man grounda/maintenance staff do a great job maintaining our hotel.We have renovated about 125 rooms in the last year and are in the process of doing more.I hope you will give us another try on your next trip to Chattanooga.

Reviewed June 19, 2009

Though this is June '09 and my stay at this hotel was in '07, I felt the need to put in my 2 cents re. this hotel as I was on this site researching Chattanooga hotels again as we plan to make another trip there.

I totally concur with the other negative review. We found this hotel to be very old, outdated, musty smelling and just generally felt unclean. The night we stayed there I could barely sleep - maybe it was psychosomatic but I felt as if I were itching all night. The hotel may have been better in its heyday in the '70s and maybe (hopefully) it has been redone since I was there, but nothing looked well-maintained all.

The only exception appeared to the the pullman car rooms but the general hotel left much to be desired. I will stay closer to the aquarium next time, probably at the Marriott or Hilton. I did let management and the Holiday Inn know about my experience and never heard a word from them. My father used to avoid Holiday Inns back in the '70s/'80s and now I feel like I know why.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family

I would like to address some of your comments. That’s a pretty harsh title. You were here over 2 years ago and now want to do a review. Wow ..
We have just this past year spent over $1,000,000 on renovations. We totally renovated 75 guest rooms and all corridors in one of our buildings. Also, the Victorian Lounge, Roosevelt Room and the Main Dome Lobby received new carpet , vinyl, paint and furniture selected by our interior designer. In the past 3 years we have spent over 3 million dollars on renovations.We are committed to continued capital expeditures to make our 25 acre complex a great value for our guests.
Regards from Our Historic 100 year old hotel ,

Reviewed June 13, 2009

Very nice visit at the Choo Choo. The Celebrating a Century theme is neat. the rooms were spacious, clean and with a balcony. The breakfast buffet iw a grea value. m a female travelling alone and felt very secure. I recommend this hotel all the time.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Thanks for your kind review about our hotel and staff.
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo. The Centennial Celebration is a great even. Thanks for your recommendation
Look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 28, 2009

We stayed in one of the train cars for one night to celebrate our first anniversary. The car was so cute! It was small, but perfectly adequate for the two of us. It was clean and the staff was very helpful and courteous. We had a package deal, with tickets to area attractions included. We loved Rock City and Ruby Falls and the drive to these attractions wasn't bad at all! We also had to drive less than 5 minutes to get down to the riverfront and enjoy the park and cute shops there. The only problem we had was early in the morning the family in the next car was really rude and loud. Their kids were screaming "wake up wake up!" over and over. We didn't hear them at all the night before. So it's not perfectly quite.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2009

Thanks for your kind review about our hotel and staff.
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo. It means a lot to our staff to see this kind of a review. The train cars are a great unique experience.
Happy Anniversary!

Reviewed May 26, 2009

We stayed at the HI Choo Choo over Memorial Day weekend. The building was obviously historic but had been well maintained. the gardens were beautiful. The only exception is maybe the way back lot. They say they have tennis courts but if anyone has played on them in years I would be surprised. We had a room in building 1 - nicely appointed and newly remodeled. All staff was very friendly and welcoming. The outdoor pools looked great but we didn't use them because the weather was bad. The indoor pool was full of children as you might expect so we stayed away. Be aware that the outdoor pools are in buildings 2 and 3 and the workout room (only disappointment) is in building 3. if proximity to these are important to you be sure you specify when making reservations. The parking at this hotel is free and the free electric shuttle right next door will deliver you to the center of town and stop by many dining options and attractions. Friday night there is a Nightfall concert series that takes place in Miller plaza. it is a happening place and the entertainment is national and free. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rose W

Thanks for your kind review about our hotel and staff.
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo. It means a lot to our staff to see this kind of a review. We strive to create great service. Your room was recently updated and the free parking and shuttle is always a hit with our guests.

Look forward to your next visit.