“Friendly staff, wonderful rooms and excellent facilities”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Nashville, TN
“Friendly staff, wonderful rooms and excellent facilities”
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I went in for a weekend trip to Chattanooga and decided to stay in the historic Chattanooga Choo Choo. Am I ever glad I did! It was a great location - hop on the FREE electric shuttle and you're in the heart of downtown in no time! I went to the Mother's Day brunch with my family and was amazed at the wonderful spread the cooks laid out for the almost full capacity crowd. Nothing was ever empty and everything I had was delicious! I will definitely make this a regular weekend trip and the Choo Choo is where I will stay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
Indiana
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I would recommend this hotel for families on a budget. My family stayed in the Choo Choo on our way to Florida and on our way back from Fla. I bid this hotel on Priceline both times and got what I paid for. I paid less than half of what you would pay if you booked directly. I say I got what I paid for because the first night I stayed, our room was just okay. It was in the second building (this complex is huge and you have to drive from the lobby to your building) It's an old hotel with lots of charm and character. But it does smell old. The beds were comfy, and it was pretty clean but the tub didn't drain very quickly and the only update in the room that I could see was the faucet and the paint. However, a week later, we stayed again, and bid same price through Priceline and the room was better. It was the first building and the room was definetely updated. Again the beds were comfy, the shower drained quickly and it smelled only slightly. We enjoyed the pool. It was very warm and deep. Probably a little too much chlorine, but you'll have that at hotel pools. Again, we got what we paid for. This is not the Ritz Carlton, but it was different than the same old hotel. If you eat at the Station House, prepare to pay for the entertainment that was added to your check. It was fun, but expensive. I would recommend this hotel for families on a budget.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 5, 2009
Thank you for your kind words on your most recent stay at the Choo Choo.
I’m glad you came back to visit. Thanks for your recommendation for other guests! The Station House is a great venue for our guests.

Reviewed May 10, 2009

I stayed 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Chattanooga Choo Choo and from the first impression of the historic lobby I had fairly high hopes.... which were soon dashed. I made the mistake of using the restroom in the lobby - it had a very strong urine odor similar to a port-a-potty at the state fair. ICK.
My room was in a building behind the main historic train station lobby... the moment I entered the building (not historic, just run-down) I knew I was in for it. The carpet was faded and tattered and chunks of ceiling tile were missing in spots. I found my room.. very close to a noisy pool of screaming kids - it was clean with the exception of the PUBIC HAIR of the last guest all over the tub. DOUBLE ICK. And BTW, bring conditioner and body soap because apparently its not a standard offering. There are a few shops with typical southern clap-trap for sale... most of it was very dated looking... like it had all been in the same spot on the shelf for years. The garden was nice but seriously... they are plants... how much joy can you get from a plant... you know, you've seen one fern you've pretty much seen them all. I went to an all day conference at another location and upon my 10PM return found no available parking and had to park in a far away lot which had no lighting until closer to the hotel entrance. Apparently a prom or wedding was in full swing and therefore elimintating the parking designated for paying guests. Ok, fine... I wasn't raped or killed in the parking lot on my long walk through the rain to the building. Wake up the next day go to the 'espresso' shop within the hotel for coffee... the gate was down and the girl peered at me and said they didnt open for another 15 min and I would have to come back. I sat right next to the gate in the seating provided to wait.... I was okay at this point BUT the 2 girls "working" there stood behind the counter and discussed the happenings of their social lives and the previous evenings excitement.... so, I'm getting a little pissy at this point knowing they are yapping and glancing back & forth between the clock and me. All I wanted was a cup of coffe... plain jane drip coffee and a prepackaged muffin. I could smell the coffee so in my mind - as the customer - true customer service would have been to honor the guest request... i mean after all, they were not doing anything other than asserting their power over the gate, the coffee and me. I could have left the hotel, driven to Panera and been back in 15 min - I regret not having gone there first. I finally get the coffee from the large formal "think lawn furniture with table cloths" and an english muffin to go, which ran double what I would have paid in the adjecent coffee shop. All I can say is that I'm glad I got a decent rate via Priceline but I would have thrown a TIZZ-ZZY if I had paid the price shown on the hotel website, which was well over 100$. The place was teaming with senior citizens and little kids... I was the only person - with the exception of staff - between those two age groups. I would avoid this place if possible.... the historic parts are open to the public so I highly recommend staying somewhere with clean carpet, courteous staff and pube free tubs... I fell for the Holiday Inn name without realizing this is NOT the average H.I. If you do stay here I would wear shoes and clothes to bed because there were obvious blood stains on the underside (the part that touches your BODY) of the bedspread. TRIPLE ICK. I'm not so much into DNA samples and forgot to pack the Luminall and black light. I'm just sayin'....

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 3, 2009
I would like to address some of your comments. That’s a pretty harsh title. Our Historic 100 year old hotel lobby has just been refurbished with painted walls, new carpet, and soft seating. Building 1 has just had new wall vinyl,
Ceiling tile and carpet. All but one retail shops are leased out. Sweetly Southern has been here for 30 years and does extremely well. I am sorry about the Café Expresso –they should have opened up and serviced you. Our Gardens Restaurant with the think lawn furniture Is green wrought iron with vinyl table cloths to go with the theme of our award winning Formal Garden which the restaurant faces. We do cater types of individuals including seniors and children. I’m sorry that you did not appreciate their presence. Our rooms are inspected after the room attendant services the room. Also, management inspects rooms on a regular basis.
I wish you had brought you concerns to us during your night stay we would have addressed them immediately. It’s concerning that people that people leave and don’t give us the opportunity to resolve any issues.
knoxville
Reviewed May 9, 2009

The room was much larger than I expected. It was very clean and well maintained.
The breakfast the next morning was excellent. Especially the waffles hot off the waffle iron.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, May 13, 2009
Thanks for your kind review.

We are pleased that you had a great stay. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations. Our breakfast buffet with fresh waffles is always a hit.

Hope you return soon.

All the Best,

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2009

This was our second night of a music/war between the states roadtrip. I booked a package for $250 from the tourist website for this hotel plus tickets to Rock City, Ruby Falls and the Railway so for two it seemed good value. We arrived early and I went to reception to ask for the tickets, not expecting the room to be ready. To our pleasant surprise it was - well done to the dude on reception, the foyer is certainly impressive and my ticket pack was clearly visible on the shelf behind reception. It is a relatively large complex and we were in block three. I considered the railcars but they are on the through passage to all the amenities, and looked a bit small.
The room had a comfortable king size bed, usual amenities, balcony and clean bathroom (bathroom looked a bit tired if anything) - a bit of a walk from the bars and restaurants within the complex but not off putting, we had a drink in the bar and listened to the trio jazzing the evening up then went into the city. It is a pity that the area stores are run down opposite the hotel but thats social change for you.

I would recommend the electric shuttle to get around town, free but worth a donation and some interesting characters use it! There are plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from about 5 -10 minutes of the shuttle.
In conclusion if you have kids (or are big kids like us) it is a enjoyable place to stay. Prices are typical of such establishments but you don't have to stay in the complex. Drive to the attractions is up to 20 minutes so not a bad location. Not having kids though I can imagine at the height of vacation season could be a little interesting. I would stay again and if a Platinum PC member there are a few little extras that were handed to me which was welcome. Hope the photos are useful!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your kind review about our hotel.

We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo and our great city. I'm gald you enjoyed the Victorian Lounge and the jazz Trio. We host many visitors from England, as you know, the Choo Choo is "World Famous".

Thanks for your recommendation.

Regards,
Atlanta area
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We stayed in the Victorian Train Car with the trundle bed (3 adults/1 child). The room was spacious enough, but there was a wet spot on the carpet that remained wet during the entire stay (3 days). The train car needed a lot of repair work. There was peeling paint, aparent fixtures that had been removed and not replaced or painted over, and dust everywhere. It was obvious that the room was not cleaned very well after each guest, when my 2 year old son kept finding food and showed me a dirty cabinet where he was getting it. I complained, but was not satisfied with the outcome.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, May 7, 2009
Thanks for your email.

After researching the situation, an Assistant. General Manager talked to the guest the day they checked out about the issues she had in her room. He asked the guest, why she didn’t let us know of these problems upon arriving to the room? The guest said she was too busy. He told her we could have moved her to another room or sent someone to re-clean her room, After all, the guest was here several days. He apologized to her and generously gave her half off her stay. She was not happy with that, but he told her that we could have corrected the problem if she had told us the first day she was here... It only takes a couple of minutes to let us know. We have maintenance and housekeeping here every day, 18 hours a day.

I would be happy to speak with the guest further.

Germantown
Reviewed May 1, 2009

Our stay was the best ever. We have been to Chattanooga before and it's a great city. This is the first time we have stayed at the Choo Choo . We will be staying there from now on. The staff, rooms and service was the best we have had in a long tim. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Thanks for your kind review about our hotel and staff.
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo. It means a lot to our staff to see this kind of a review. We strive to create great service.

Thanks for your recommendation.

Regards,