“Great Hotel, Excellent people”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #36 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed April 10, 2009

Beautiful historical building, great staff, especially in the lounge, no one is a stranger......

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2009

Thanks for your kind review.

We are pleased that you had a great stay. Our goal is to provide "the best hospitality value in the city".

We hope you can return to our hotel soon.

Regards,

There are newer reviews for Chattanooga Choo Choo

Reviewed April 8, 2009

Two words for ya'.... tourist trap.
The room was awful. Stained, 25+ year old carpet. Mold in the bathroom ceiling, "dungenous" feel, shower jumping from cold to hot for no reason, room service was a joke, the food (at both restaurants) was awful. $150.00 for this room per night! Do yourself a favor and go to a nice Hampton Inn or Wingate. The "choo choo" history is nice but not worth the horrible living arrangements. Do not waste your time with this place.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Thanks for taking the time to write your email.

I'm sorry that we did not live up to your expectations.
We take your comments very seriously. I wish you would have called us during your stay, so that we could address any issue you had at that time. I believe describing our hotel as a dump is a bit harsh. We have just finished a 1 million dollar renovation to our guest rooms. In the last 3 years, we have spent 3 million dollars in renovation our hotel complex ,in particular, to our guest rooms.

I would be happy to speak with you regarding your stay.

Thanks,

Reviewed April 4, 2009

We were traveling from Fl to Nashville & decided to stay at the hotel to let my elderly father-in-law experience the train depot. This was our first time & definately would recommend as a stay over for anyone. Check in early enough to explore the shops, restaraunts on site & memorabilia. It was fun to see his enjoyment & take his picture by the trains. We stayed in a suite which was roomy & comfortable. Staff was pleasant. Did not explore the area outside of property & not sure the area beyond is safe. Resort area was safe & restaraunt with buffet was excellent. Definately would recommend & stay again. Only problem we had, room next door had barking dog when they left it alone!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2009

Thanks for your kind review.

We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo.

We do have a great city and the free shuttle which leaves from the Choo Choo is
a fine asset..
We have just finished a 1 million dollar renovation to our guest rooms. In the last 3 years, we have spent 3 million dollars in renovation on our hotel complex ,in particular, to our guest rooms.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed April 2, 2009

After reading other reviews on-line, I was a little nervous about staying here but my fears were put to rest after checking in. This hotel's accommodations are fairly typical of a older Holiday Inn. We stayed in building 1 and the room was simple, but clean. There was a heated indoor pool in this building that my kids enjoyed. The train in the courtyard was a big hit with my kids, as was the old train station lobby. If your kids like trains, this is the place to be. We ate breakfast at the hotel and the food was good and the prices were decent. The hotel was easily accessible to all attractions and we did not have to drive anywhere thanks to the free electric shuttle bus provided by the city that stops right at the hotel. The hotel really does need to be updated however, and I would not pay the full advertised rates to stay there. If you can get a good deal on the room rate, then this a great hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank momof3Clarksville_TN
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2009

Thanks for comments about the hotel.

We take these comments very seriously and are reviewed by our staff on a daily basis. Our goal is to always have our guests make a return visit to the world famous "Chattanooga Choo Choo".
I would like to update you on the status of the Choo Choo:
We have just this past year spent over $1,000,000 on renovations. We totally renovated 75 guest rooms and all corridors in one of our buildings. Also, the Victorian Lounge, Roosevelt Room and the Main Dome Lobby received new carpet , vinyl, paint and furniture selected by our interior designer. Since 2003, we have renovated 225 guest rooms and 48 train cars. We are committed to continued capital expeditures to make our Historic 25 acre complex a great value for our guests.
Thanks again,

Reviewed March 25, 2009

We held a conference of about 140 people and the staff and accomodations were terrific. Everything they said they would do...they did. The staff was a joy to work with. The facility is beautiful. The food was excellent! The rooms were clean and affordable. The Choo Choo is just minutes away from all the local tourist venues and it is right off the interstate highway. As the Conference Coordinator, they made me look very good. All in all, I could not be more pleased.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to write your review.
I appreciate your great comments about the staff! It's exciting to hear comments like yours ,especially when you are speaking about a group that visited our hotel. Group business is very important to our hotel. We have many repeat groups and we are thrilled to host them.
Thanks again---hope to see you soon!!

Reviewed March 21, 2009

Upon checking in after 3:00pm there was long line, I got my key- and drove off to the room - the room was not ready housekeeping didn't have the room cleaned out - hauled the luggage back into the car and drove back to the lobby, waited in another line and had to wait till later in the day to get into the room. Next morning I discovered no coffee was left for me...called and never got the coffee after waiting an hour...call for room service to bring coffee...and the wait was too long to get the coffee...the pool was closed but they suggested that I could use the hot tub...It was locked. The hotel was noisy at night when trying to go to bed to get sleep. And I once was locked out of the building and had to drive back to the lobby (a long walk) to get another key (they said that I was given an old key and they often fail to hold the programing). I got another key... why so much trouble...the staff was mostly nice about the issues...but upon on call via the cel (when my room wasn't ready) the person on the phone suggested that I needed to contact the front desk - but couldn't transfer me to the desk for help...I asked who I was talking with and she said hotel services...but I felt like she wanted to say- you better call someone who cares!!!

1  Thank southcarolina1

Thanks for taking the time to write your email.

I'm sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. We take your comments very seriously. I have spoken to the respective Department Heads for investigation and corrective action.
We would love to have you return to our hotel. Give us a chance and we will make it right for you.

I would be happy to speak with the guest.

Thanks,

Reviewed March 20, 2009

I ended up staying at the Chattanooga ChoCho b/c the hotel for my conference was booked. The lobby was quite breath taking - truly an American classic - as stated in the hotel literature it is an renovated train station. Next was my walk in between renovated train cars to my "suite". If you have kids or are a train enthusiast the walk between the train cars and the approach to the room is worth the reservation. However, don't have your standards too highly set. The hotel was renovated in the 70s and that may be the last time any updates were done. My allergies were highly assaulted (I am guessing from mold) and I had to brush the dust off the hangers in the bathroom before I hung my shirts. Keep in mind that the train cars are divided into two "suites" so all that is dividing you and the room next door is a metal wall (this was an issue for me b/c I am a light sleeper and the young "honeymooning couple" and "heavy snorer" were easily heard in my room. All in all, for the price it was a decent location, but don't set your sites too high. I now have a story to tell about the time I slept in a train car, but wouldn't do it again.

1  Thank rkristo2
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to write your email.

We have just finished a 1 million dollar renovation to our guest rooms. In the last 3 years, we have spent 3 million dollars in renovation our hotel complex , in particular, to our guest rooms. The train cars are our most popular request and they have been upgraded this past year.

I would be happy to speak with the guest.,

423-308-2401