“Good Experience for me”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #36 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I stayed for 4 nights mid-Oct as part of a convention group (so the rate was very good). I was a bit concerned reading the reviews posted here. However I did not find any of the problems discussed. My room (in Building 3, farthest from the main building) was fine. It was a standard hotel room, but did not have the wear that others complained about. The room was large and comfortable. It is a bit of a walk to the main entrance, but I didn't mind.

My one complaint concerning the room is the lack of a wastebasket (there is a small one in the bathroom). After reading the complimentary newspaper, all I could do was leave it on the floor. The next day the cleaning person left it there (otherwise did a reasonable job), and the following day they moved it onto the table. How does one throw stuff out?

The area around the hotel is very dead. I didn't feel unsafe, but the urban renewal that happened downtown is just starting to happen there. The free electric bus to the downtown area is across the street, so it's easy to get there without driving. The hotel also offers a free shuttle to/from the airport.

The hotel lobby and public areas are very impressive, and I enjoyed the train cars. They also have an electric trolley that goes around the grounds - ride for a fee.

Would I stay there again? There isn't any reason not to stay there - but there are plenty of other hotels near the Aquarium so it's really a question of the best price. If you really love the railroad theme, or want to try the sleeping car rooms, then go.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ChooChoo29, GM at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2009

Thanks for great comments about the hotel.

We take these comments very seriously and are reviewed by our staff on a daily basis. Our goal is to always have our guests make a return visit to the world famous Chattanooga Choo Choo.

I'm sorry about your wastebasket, that shouldn't happen. We do have several security staff members on 24 hours per day, which is lead by our Director of Security (a retired police officer of 30 years). The area around the Choo Choo is under an exciting revitaliztion plan of residential condos, retail shops, and restaurants.

I hope to see you again in the future.

Thanks again,

HISTORIC HOTELS OF AMERICA
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES

There are newer reviews for Chattanooga Choo Choo

Reviewed October 31, 2008

My family stayed for 3 days at the hotel in a traincar. The traincar was okay, but a little musty and frumpy. However, my husband and 4 year old son got bedbug bites from the bed that my son slept on. They both had to go to the doctor when we got back in town and the physician told us that the bites were bedbugs! GROSS!!! I contacted the hotel and they said that they looked into it and didn't find any problems with the room. This was the only hotel that we stayed in and they didn't arrive with bites or get any new ones once we got home. I am grossed out by this and really disappointed with the way that the hotel handled my complaint. I know that bedbugs have become a serious problem here in the US with travelers, but I didn't pay to stay in a fleabag hotel and didn't expect to have this problem!

2  Thank pedot
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to write you comments.

We have a professional exteminating company that checks our rooms and publc areas on a regular basis. We have never had bed bugs or any trace of bed buga at our property. Our bed sets are all new within the last 18 months. Bedding is a big isssue with guests today and we take every precaution to make the bedding special to our guests.
Thanks
jimb@choochoo.com

Reviewed October 16, 2008

I stayed at this Hotel, due to a Convention I was attending, for
3 days. The Hotel is a wonderful place, with some very good
staff and management, that is obvious. The General Manager
was standing outside, greeting guests as they arrived - at 6PM
on Friday, which is pretty rare today.

Rooms are nice, and well maintained, food was great, and
if you were ever a child at all, you will love the trains!! Plus,
bring the kids - with you, on the next business meeting, or
even passing through on your way to Nashville or Atlanta. This
hotel has History, and gives a service experience that shows
a Hotel knows how to make a true effort for the guests. The
whole area is beautiful, and there is a lot do do there. I will
always return to the Choo Choo, when in Central TN or if I am travelling on I-75, North of Atlanta.

- A very satisfied customer!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2008

I stayed at this hotel as a kid in the 80's and was excited that I got a room for 1/2 the hotel's advertised rate on Priceline.com (we paid $66 including tax!). I wanted to take my son there since i enjoyed it so much as a kid. I have to tell you though, it probably hasn't been updated since I was a kid either! The lobby furniture was really worn and the entire hotel smelled musty. The grounds were clean and I think that our room, located in Bldg 1, had been redone recently. The room itself was clean & comfortable. We had no issues with the room, thank God. Although walking to our room from the parking lot I got a sinking feeling that we paid more than we should have, even with our discount. The public areas of Bldg. 1 were really run down. It was straight out of the 70's. I was relieved that our room was just fine. We ate at the Station House restaurant, which surprisingly was pretty decent. The decor and atmosphere again was like being in a time warp---Hello 1975! Wood paneling, low lighting. We made the best of it though. The music was actually great! The hotel is not in the best section of town, however we felt safe. Downtown Chattanooga seems pretty cool and we did enjoy our visits to Lookout Mtn. attractions. I think next time though we'll stay more in the downtown area so we can walk to fun restaurants & attractions and maybe just walk through the choo-choo for posterity's sake. This hotel needs a makeover in a bad way!

• Check in / front desk
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to write your email.

I'm sorry that we did not live up to your expectations We take your comments very seriously and review on a regular basis. We have just finished a 1 million dollar renovation to our guest rooms.

We would love to have you return to our hotel. Give us a chance and we will make it right for you.

I would be happy to speak with the guest.

Thanks,

423-308-2401
Jimb@choochoo.com

Reviewed October 15, 2008

Growing up going to the Choo Choo, I wanted to take my daughter to visit and stay a night. We stayed in one of the traincars...expensive but fun. The train cars are furnished in a Victorian style - not the nicest accomodations I've ever stayed in (the daybed was pretty bad!) but worth it for the experience. It wasnice to walk right out of your room and into the gardens and shops.
Kids eat free in the Garden Restaurant. We also enjoyed the trolley ride and the model train museum.

Reviewed October 9, 2008

The lobby of the hotel is very impressive, and I'm sure that staying in one of the sleeper cars is a nicer experience, but I found the regular hotel room (in one of the three hotel buildings) rather disappointing. It was sort of dingy and damp, and just generally had the feeling of being in need of a renovation. I also noticed that one of the pillows on the two beds (not the one I slept in) had a blood stain on it that, while not on the pillow case, could be seen through it. Also, the hotel map was completely useless in locating the gym. The only nice thing was the English Rose tea room across the street.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank sarahlala
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Dont listen to earlier reviews! This place is awesome. Not sure if they read all those poor reviews and fixed it, but the place is wonderful. The place is more of a complex than a hotel. A very beautiful lobby (original train station used from 1909-1970) with 3 different hotel sections behind it. In between these hotels and the lobby is a wonderful middle ground complete with restaurants, rose gardens and what not, shops, and a working trolley. We stayed in a victorian sleeper car (original trains fitted to be rooms) in this middle ground. Highly recommend staying in the sleeper cars. Yes, they are more expensive (appx 100 extra bucks) but very cool. I didn't do a grounds inspection, but I saw one outdoor pool (clean) and one indoor pool (clean) in hotel #2. 4 restaurants as part of the complex: 1. the gardens (fairly normal hotel restaurant right next to the lobby. 2. Dinner in the diner (surf and turf and stuff for a romantic getaway...didn't do). 3. Stations rest. where the staff sings and stuff (didn't do). 4. Silver diner where they cook pizza in a train car for late night eating. Plenty of parking, so dont worry about the valet, etc. Right next to the hotel is a shuttle depot (base of the public parking garage) that can ferry you back and forth from the aquarium (free) check with the hotel staff for hours and what not. Staff was attentive to needs and everyone was friendly. Great job. Definitely the place to stay when in Chattanooga.