“Train Wreck”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #39 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I think the idea of the Victorian train car is very admirable. The service overall was superb and the proximity to downtown is great.

Granted, if you want to stay in a train car and sleep past 6 a.m., you are out of luck. The walls are thin and you can hear every blow dryer and baby scream.

There was a matte of hair in the bathtub, which certainly looked like it had seen better days. I debated on using it to shower in the morning-my vanity won out. The water pressure was good.

Overall it is a good experience for one night, especially if you have children. The staff is fantastic.

• Stayed: December 2013
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am pleased that your overall experience was a good one. I apologize for the situation that occurred. .
I have reviewed your comments with the respective Department Heads, so that they can take corrective action. We take your comments very seriously and it is our opportunity to improve our product and service. I will email you via tripadvisor, please give me a call.
GM

Write a ReviewReviews (2,734)

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Let me start off by saying we originally made our reservation to stay at the Choo Choo on Aug 11 2013. It was a disaster.

We were trying to book a "Santas Car ride on the Polar Express" through the TVRM.

We made the reservation which was originally planned for my sons 3rd birthday celebration on 13,14 and 15 Dec 2013.

When I received the confirmation luckily I noticed the package was not correct. I contacted the reservation specialist and was told I needed to check with the TVRM the following day.

The next day I contacted the TVRM and was told that the Choo Choo was wrong in selling the Santas Car Ride since they can not see those specific seats. The Choo Choo is authorized to sell certain packages that the TVRM has but not that one. Was told to call the Choo Choo and get a refund on the ride and then call back.

Upon calling the Choo Choo Reservation Specialist I was
informed that all sleeper cars were
Sold out. Then I asked the next availability and was told 20,21 and 22 Dec. Unsure if my wife could get those block of days off I had to 1st contact the TVRM to see if they had tickets for the Santa Car on any of those days and luckily they had today Saturday 21 Dec at 5:45.

Booked a stay in the train car for that Saturday evening.

In the meantime we considered how much our son was gonna miss out on if we just stayed 1 night and decided if my wife could take the 20th off we would drive down and stay wherever we could.

On the way I called the Choo Choo and much to our delight they had a room for us.

Prior to arriving we were reading all of the reviews and for the most part they were either good or bad with a few that were alarming.

Bring retired Army and disabled I always try to take reviews in stride so I can see for myself.

At checking the reception was very pleasant. We had a couple hours prior to check in and spent it with our two babies browsing in the gift shops. The gift shop staff are all very friendly and one "Lady...." Gift shop across from the pizza car is one of the most generous people I have ever met.

When time arrived to check in we were assigned to building 3. We could imagine at one time how this place may gave looked. We were a little concerned after reading a couple reviews but it was not as bad as others made it out to be. Is it perfect NO but it is not like a prison ward (makes me question the character of the person who wrote that review) but it appears that it is currently going through renovations.

The carpet in our room appeared to be new, the water was hot and had pressure and the beds were clean and made.

We ate dinner at the main rest. We were seated and for 10 mins no one came out to give us drinks so I went over and asked the two guys in the drink fountain room if we could get drinks. At this point dinner was looking like a mistake.

One young man walked over and apologized and got our drinks. A few minutes later an apologetic young lady came over and said "she was sorry but someone wanted ice cream and because it was frozen it took her extra time". Now dinner was looking better and we had no hard feelings. A matter of fact we left her a really good tip.

We had the buffet which was all you could eat prime rib- kudos to the chef it was delicious. I did let the wait staff know how good it was.

Now here is where the story goes to the subject line. "Saved by the Mabager"

Sleeping was pleasant with no noise heard through the walls or floor like other hotels/ motels we have stayed at.

We were told the previous day that if we check out a little early and let the clerk know we were going to transfer into a sleeper car that they would make all efforts to grt one ready for us early so out babies can nap before the train ride.

I checked us out at 10:00 and informed the receptionist as instructed. She wrote my name down and told me to check back periodically. Since we purchased the Elves Workshop package we took the boys to Pictures with Santa and then the workshop then lunch.

Everytime I checked in I was told there was no rooms cleaned yet.

At 1:00 pm the wife and I discussed the option of canceling the reservation and check in at a hotel where the boys could get a nap,

In a last ditch effort while eating pizza at the pizza car I called and asked to speak with the manager on duty. I think his name was Dave and I shared my story from Aug 12 to current with him.

About 15 minutes later we had our keys and got the boys down for their nap which they are taking as I write this.

The sleeper cars may appear old on the outside, they may also appear to be old on the inside but what a wonderful difference. The beauty of them. We have one with a queen (I believe) along with a trundle day bed.

Based on the outcome of the events we are truly to be guests at this hotel for many years to follow.

I would like to say Thank You to the Manager on Duty ( I did think him as I was getting the keys) but wanted to mention him in this review. (I should and do feel embarrassed for one of my disabilities short term memory loss but I think his name is Dave)

I would like to also say Kudos to the manager of the restaraunt and the 3 receptionist there that didn't charge us for the total of 6 cups of white whole milk for the boys. The kind lady at the scrapbook store "Lady ....." We purchased some items there and she gave me free batteries and some post cards. Never expected it.

Everyone we gave encountered have been very courteous and helpful.

Thank you and we will def be back in the summer and Christmas again for many years.

S.D. , Jr

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Dibblejr
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

WOW! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased that the MOD saved the day for you. As I have mentioned before, we do make mistakes, but we also make great recoveries. Thank you for not listening to a few negative reviews. Our CSI index In November of 2013 was 84%. We sold 6,220 rooms with 1 review rating of 2 and below! We look forward to your return.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed in the train car and it was so great! How cool! It was quaint going during the Christmas season, with the decorations and Santa visiting.I was concerned about sleeping because I could hear every word of the man's conversation in the train behind us. But the bed was very comfortable and no noise until morning! This is a very fun, memorable place to stay.

Room Tip: Stay in the Train Car!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Thanks for the 4 star rating. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. The Choo Choo is beautiful at Christmas time. We sell tons of packages during the season. We look forward to another visit soon.
Regards,
Jill Coker
QA

Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I were excited about spending the night at the Chattanooga Choo Choo on our trip from St. Louis to Florida. It was the worse hotel we have stayed at in years! They put us in the far building with the tour buses. The room was large but sparse-not even a clock. The carpets were torn and musty, both in the room and even worse in the hallways. Sorry Chattanooga, can't think of anything positive to say.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank teachagain
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

I’m sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your stay at the Chattanooga Choo Choo. Did you notify management about your issues? If management knows of an issue they will act on it. We sometimes make mistakes, but we also make great recoveries. Please, give us a chance is all I ask.
I will reach out to you via tripadvisor. Please call or email me.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

My wife and I just had a return trip to the Chattanooga Choo choo. this is the third time (year) we have stayed there and each time, we are only more impressed. When we checked in, there was some confusion as i had not properly reserved our room. however, the staff at the check in desk went way out of their way to make my mistake go away. when we arrived in our room, my wife and i both sat on our balcony and enjoyed the view (even though it was about 40degrees!). my sleep there was better than at home. i did not wake up the entire night!

i cannot recommend the Choo Choo highly enough!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your repeat business and great review. I am pleased that that the error was corrected to your satisfaction. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We appreciate your great comments. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

My husband and I recently spent the night in an old train car at the Chattanooga Choo Choo. It was lovely! The car is furnished as it may have been back in the days when the train actually carried passengers. I was intrigued by the history of the entire complex. I'm not sure what the regular hotel rooms were like as every couple in our group stayed in train cars. The location is great. There is so much to see and do in the area. The price was a little high but in my mind, it was well worth it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 4Rtrip
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

It is great to hear that you enjoyed staying overnight in one of our signature, train car rooms. We have many repeat customers that enjoy the train car rooms. Thanks for appreciating the history of our complex. Come back again soon!
Regards
Jill Ellis Coker
QA

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Recently, I had the opportunity (returning to Nashville from Georgia in icy weather) to stay at the Chattanooga Choo Choo ~ I've always been intrigued by its charm & historic character wondering how the experience would be staying in one of the Pullman cars. It was fabulous....The staff was so accommodating & friendly plus I enjoyed a delicious meal while being entertained by the Singing Servers at the Station House. It was a cozy, sweet treat on a cold wintery night.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you for your great review and the compliments of our staff. We are glad that we exceeded your expectations. The Station House is always a hit, they do a great job. Your review helps us maintain a very high score on tripadvisors Customer Satisfaction Index (November was 88%).
We look forward to your return.