“An overall good experience”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #37 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful train carriages and well worth the visit. Not much life though in the hotel and the bar shuts very early. She was packing up as we were Drinking so it made us feel quite unwelcome. Overall an excellent experience but they could do better.

We ate in the station house. Have reviewed this separately.

• Stayed: August 2013
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for a great review. I apologize for the situation that occurred.
I have reviewed your comments with the respective Department Heads, so that they can take corrective action. We take your comments very seriously and it is our opportunity to improve our product and service.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed at the Choo Choo Aug 1, 2 & 3 to attend an annual family reunion. I loved the concept; historic, shops, restaurants but the quality of the service was a negative factor. I stayed in building 3. There was a light outage on early Saturday morning like 7:30 am and lasted to late afternoon. The second elevator in the building was down during most of my visit and the decor, cleanliness of the room was below average. I recognized this isn't a four-five star facility but really expected more.

In any event, I still patronized the restaurants and even tipped housekeeping including on the day that the lights went out and had to wait until after 6:00pm before our room was cleaned and was almost late getting ready to attend a 7:00pm family event. I understood that the light issue contributed to the delay and tried to make the best of it. The last straw was when we checked out, both elevators were down so we had to lug our belongings down the stairs. We had a little more stuff than usual since we were there for a family reunion. Anyway, when I went back for the last few items, another guest advised he heard the elevator was back working, I didn't see any evidence of it so still elected to take the stairs. On checkout I asked to speak with the Manager to advise of the inconvenience of lugging our items down the stairs. I didn't even get a chance to mention my other comments when he proceeded to tell me that he confirmed the elevator was working. This was not the case when we first started packing our cars, other family members had the same issue and had shared the same complaint. He made me feel as if I was not being truthful, at that point, I became frustrated and shared this with him. He offered a pass for breakfast which wasn't going to work since we had to get on the road and no way in my opinion covers all of our inconvenience during our entire stay.

We had at least 80 family members at this facility over the weekend and we all spent money but it was like he could care less about our business. Besides the event and rooms costs, me and my husband alone spent over $500. Because of his lack of empathy and poor response, it turned an okay visit into a bad one.

On the bright side, I loved the restaurant with the live entertainment and there were several staff members that were delightful. But the manager was definitely not one of them and in the end, he said he could do nothing because he couldn't get quality assurance on the telephone.

1  Thank April S
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

This is the second time this review has been posted in a week. Here is my response on 08-09-13. I am sorry to read you were disappointed as we typically receive excellent reviews for our level of service. Our maintenance team inspects the elevators frequently, and confirmed that the Hotel 3 elevator you referenced was operational Sunday morning. We did have an issue on Saturday, caused by a four hour power outage, which the city fixed ASAP. During the outage, we had team members stationed in each hotel building to provide assistance and help with luggage. Power outages like these are unpredictable and we were concerned for all guests during this time. On Sunday morning, we took your comments very seriously and the manager on duty instructed maintenance to check all of the elevators. No one was called a liar as suggested in the review. We had 360 rooms occupied and very few complaints. People were very understandable about the situation.

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Our family of four stayed two nights in a train car. We had a queen bed & a daybed with trundle & had surprisingly plenty of room. The bathroom was small & had a hair dryer & coffee maker. Everything was very clean. We ate two good dinners at The Gardens restaurant, which wasn't pricy & the kids ate free. The grounds are well-kept & has a very pretty garden area between the train cars. We enjoyed two of the three pools. Minor upgrades are needed, such as painting, but all we saw was very clean. The free electric buses are located beside the hotel as is the visitor's center. Market Street has all kinds of restaurants & shops to stroll through. Close to Lookout Mtn, aquarium & parks. It is a little expensive, but we purchased a Living Social voucher which included $50 dining vouchers & tickets to model train car museum.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. We love to hear such comments about our Historic Hotel. We take great pride in our property. The train car rooms are very popular and run a high occupancy.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

...that was what my traveling companion texted me today after returning to her home in New Orleans after our trip to Tennessee. There is a lot going on in New Orleans, so that's really a good compliment--and one that is well deserved!

The Chattanooga Choo Choo was very understanding when our arrival was delayed because of travel difficulties. When I checked in during the wee hours of the morning, the clerk was very helpful and understanding. We were feeling stressed because of our trip being delayed, and the clerk's positive attitude and helpfulness were very much appreciated.

We stayed in one of the train car rooms, and doing so was a really unique and memorable experience. The room offered the comforts of a fine hotel room, with the added advantage of the fact that it was a cool RAILROAD CAR! Wonderful!

The housekeeping and desk services were terrific. We were able to get everything we needed to enjoy a great vacation. We didn't get to try all of the restaurants, but the ones we did try were excellent. It pays to peruse the Web site of this hotel just to acquaint yourself with all that it offers. It's a unique and special place to stay!

Room Tip: Get the train car room if you can, unless the possibility of outside noise is particularly an issue...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your 5 star review! I am pleased that the you had a great experience. Thanks for the great comments about the train car and the staff. ! Your review means a lot to us. .

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was the third time I've stayed at the Choo Choo for a convention. Love the room, the pool with the waterfall and hot tub, and the whole experience. The Pennsylvania Station room was great for our meals and the convention rooms were also great for the speakers and other events.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in Hotel 3 with the waterfall pool
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

First of all, thanks for the 5 stars. Thanks for your great comments. We are glad that you enjoyed exploring ALL the venues of our property. Come back soon. Regards,
Jill Ellis Coker
Quality Assurance

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Unique and charming but not fancy. Good value for the price. Would go back if in the area. Good location with free downtown shuttle next door. Lots of history of the railroad and the city. Great buffet and other food choices.

Room Tip: Some rooms are in old railroad cars and some are in hotel buildings
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind comments. We love to hear such comments and I will make sure they are shared with the departments. We take great pride in our property. Come back again soon!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I too was a member of the Davis Stanley Family reunion for the weekend of Aug 2-3. I thought service was poor from the very beginning of the check-in. We stayed in Bldg 3 which from the moment door was open there was a mildew smell in the hall. Our room was around three very long hall ways. The light was blinking in the entrance way when we entered room. there was an employee that we asked could he have light changed. he called to front desk to request but when we checked out Sunday morning light was still blinking. The bedding was incomplete as no bed-skirt was on either bed. Only one elevator was working during my stay there. The electricity went out Saturday morning from 6:00 am until after 2:00 pm.no info was forthcoming on the cause. On checkout we were advised to leave our name and phone number as management would get in touch with us if we inquired about the blackout.Today is the 13th and I have yet to receive a phone call or even a post card. This was a family reunion and normally a event that is enjoyable. I still enjoyed my family but experience at this facility was inexcusable. not even lights to light a dark hallway was even provided. If this facility is ever used for any event again I will say, Thank you, but no thanks.

Room Tip: Building 3 rooms are so far from the elevator. Please ask for a map to review before accepting
1  Thank Brenda L

I am sorry to read you were disappointed as we typically receive excellent reviews for our level of service. Our maintenance team inspects the elevators frequently, and confirmed that the Hotel 3 elevator you referenced was operational Sunday morning. We did have an issue on Saturday, caused by a four hour power outage, which the city fixed ASAP. During the outage, we had team members stationed in each hotel building to provide assistance and help with luggage. Power outages like these are unpredictable and we were concerned for all guests during this time. On Sunday morning, we took your comments very seriously and the manager on duty instructed maintenance to check all of the elevators. We had 360 rooms occupied and very few complaints. Most people were very understandable about the situation. We made phone calls to everyone we had.
I will email you via tripadvisor