“Great vacation spot”

Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Harmony, Maine
“Great vacation spot”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We did not know what we were in for when we stayed at this hotel. What an enchanting, historic place. We stayed in a pet friendly room and it was so comfortable and clean and no smells. The inner courtyard opened up into a pool area that was really cool. It looked like the inner rooms all had balcony's. This place was huge and the room was huge and it was clean and comfortable. Dogs loved running about the room. The lobby was amazing. I wish we would have had more time to explore this place it was huge and a vacation within the hotel. Hope to make it back there when we have more time to check it out. You can even stay in a rail car. We did not. Wonder if they were pet friendly? Only downside is that we had a late checkout (we had arrived at 3am and had to call at 8am to see if we could do a late checkout-did not like this) and the maid came by and knocked on our door prior to our check out time. Other than that our stay was wonderful.

Room Tip: Stay in the rail cars if you can. We heard that it was a unique experience.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for calling us a great vacation spot. We strive to provide the best value and exceptional service in the city. I do apologize for the early knock on your door from housekeeping. That will be addressed with the rooms division. Continue to come back year after year. I assure you that we won’t let you down.
Regards,
Jill
Quality Assurance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
Southest US
Reviewed August 4, 2013

If the words "new, luxurious, and modern" are on your must have list for a hotel stay you will not be happy at the Choo Choo. If you like "historical, charming, and family-oriented" then it is probably a better match for you.

I found the grounds, lobby, and general appearance of the property to be very clean and appealing. Keep in mind the fact that you are visiting a property that is on the historical registry. Is there some peeling paint here and there? rust? Yes, but nothing that does not appear to have been maintained over time.

We stayed in the vintage rail car with our young child and it was a major hit. The rail cars are plenty large enough and comfortable. I agree with some reviewers that they could continue to update them (for example, the sink fixture was a nice brushed nickel finish while the shower fixtures were old and dingy). The gardens/ponds/fountains are beautiful and we had a good experience in the Gardens restaurant for dinner. At first I thought the model railroad would be cheesy but it was very interesting and impressive. We did the scavenger hunt with our daughter, and all had a great time. The property has several pools; we only visited the indoor pool which was clean. Overall, we had a great time and were pleased with the property. I think anyone with children would be happy hear for one or two nights.

We did not stay in the hotel rooms; the property was revamped in the 70s with hotel rooms so the architecture of that area of the complex does not fit the historic style of the overall property, but if you look at the pics online and read the reviews you should have a clear idea of what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. We would recommend this hotel to other families who want a fun, short getaway with children.

Room Tip: Our rail car was near the shops; surprisingly it was not loud, but if you want to ensure a quiet sta...
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay here with us at the Chattanooga Choo Choo. I am pleased to hear your fine compliments about the cleanliness of the lobby and appearance of property. We work hard to maintain our hotel. I am proud to hear that the railcar room was a big hit with your child. It sounds like you were able to visit some of our venues to include the model train museum, gardens, restaurants and pools. Thanks for recommending us and sharing your experience with others. Come back soon.
Maryville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Spent one miserable night in this place. The entire hotel is filthy, smelly and just plain gross. The toilet in my room did not flush, the bathroom was dirty with hair stuck to the floor and just like the rest of the hotel it smelled musty. The bed was uncomfortable and the sheets were very rough. Fortunately I only had to spend one night there. Don't waist your money on this high priced Motel 6 stay at the Marriott it is much nicer and also cheaper. The nicest thing I can say about this place is the food in the garden restaurant was edible.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank helloauntb
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I am confused as to why you didn’t report any of these concerns during your stay. We would have gladly moved you to another room had we known. It is unacceptable that your room wasn’t properly prepared for you. That shouldn’t have happened and I do apologize. However, I feel confident that we could have found you a room that exceeded your expectations. We have a manager on duty 24 hours a day to handle any guests concerns. I hope you give us another try. Your next visit, I feel assured, will be much different.
Regards,
Jill
Quality Assurance
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Our room was clean,with comfortable beds, and was recently updated. The iron furniture was quaint. Rug was clean but could need to be updated. Dinning was very nice, and with iron furniture, matching the bedroom furniture. Overlooks beautiful gardens. Breakfast buffet was $15 per person, pricey! But guess this would be expected with fine dinning. Souvenir shops and arcaid for young and old right at the motel. Secured parking meant that there was a guard on duty (somewhere).

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Kathy K
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thanks for your comments about your room and for appreciating the recent upgrades. We always love to hear that you enjoyed the many amenities of our property. We look forward to your return.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We needed a room in Chattanooga for one night to attend an event in the area, which happened to be Valentine's Day weekend, so I browsed all the "deal sites" to see what was out there. There was a Living Social Escape package for Valentine's Day for around $140 for one night at the Choo Choo, including champagne with keepsake flutes, chocolates, bath products and breakfast for two. After researching other downtown area hotels, I found that this was the best deal that weekend. I called to ask questions before purchasing the deal, and unfortunately there were no queens, kings or suites left. While this didn't really bother me seeing as a double bed would be fine for my husband and me, I thought it was a little strange that it was offered as a romantic Valentine package. As we were there in February, and the temperature was extremely low, the grounds were not really all that entertaining--mostly frozen--but it was still fun to look at all the train cars. We were in a double room in one of the hotel buildings, and I don't know when it was built, but the rooms could really use some updating. When we first entered, there was a bit of a "stale" smell, but nothing that lasted too long once we got air circulating. The room was clean, but just very dated. From other reviews, it seems like the whole place is pretty dated. We spent most of our time downtown or across the river, so we didn't fully explore the grounds, but we enjoyed the huge model train exhibit (which needs dusting) and breakfast in the restaurant. I loved the "feel" of the place and the history, and I definitely think spring or summer would make for a better visit. It looks like the extensive grounds would be lovely then. For us, the visit was just so-so. It was convenient to be next to the free electric trollies that take you around the city, but not great for night life, as the last trolley runs at 11pm. We ended up walking back at midnight from the more central bar and restaurant scene and almost froze to death! I would probably visit again if I had kids or if they remodeled...but I definitely would not pay full price! I think the LS deal was almost half off, and it was still $140 for one night in a really old room with double beds. Same story on the breakfast--It was really pricey if it had not been included.

Room Tip: Rooms in the hotel are outdated. If you want the whole experience or have kids, go with a train car...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. Thanks for the “cool concept” comment. We learn plenty from our guests. On average, we invest between $1.5-3 million a year in maintaining and upgrading the property I will email you via tripadvisor.
Austin
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We had a great time. Staff was great; helpful & friendly. We were there for a convention and the motel did a great job with our two meetings with food. Our room was ample and comfortable. We had a view of the pool if you wanted to people watch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your great review! We try to be the best hospitality value in the city. Thanks for the comments about staff. We look forward to your next visit.
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I spent a Saturday night recently at Chattanooga ChooChoo, the establishment went above and beyond what I expected during the stay. My key card took several swipes to unlock the door. I return to lobby to request new keys and they dispatched a maintenance working to room. By the time I return the maintenance worker was waiting for me. I recommend this resort hotel to all my friend. Plan to schedule another visit.

Room Tip: All of the rooms/suites in hotel 3 over look the pool and hot tub.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Willie T
Thank you for your great compliments of our staff. We are glad that we exceeded your expectations. Your review helps us maintain a very high score on tripadvisors customer satisfaction index.
We look forward to your return.