“Dated and noisy” 1 of 5 bubbles

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #39 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
“Dated and noisy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I have never been so disatified with a hotel. Our room was next to the elevator Shaft which was loud and noisy it kept us up all night. We literally got about 3 to 4 hours of sleep. I spoke to the hotel the very next morning that we would be checking out. they told me there was not going to be an issue with this but I had to run it by our booking agent. The manager now refuses to return a phone call and has been unavailable for over three weeks to address this issue I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Jsbishop70
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you very much for your very valuable feedback. I apologize for the situation that occurred. I never received a phone call. I return all my calls regardless of the nature. I will email you via tripadvisor, please call me. I will also try to find your number in our PMS.
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
Gold Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I visited for three nights with our 1 year old son. He was very excited to stay in the train car, loved the pools and it was very relaxing to take evening strolls around the garden after our day of activities.

Our room and the hotel grounds were all extremly clean. The restaurants on the property all were very nice, great food, and good service. Station House was by far the best! The food was amazing, the service was some of the best we have experienced and the entertainment was great!

All the staff was very helpful and friendly in everyway and the hotel staff took care of our every need. Daily housekeeping was great as well. We always came back to a nice clean fully stocked room.

Over all the price paid for the stay, food and services was well worth it! We already have plans to return again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the train car room. There was plenty of space, the beds were very comfortable and our 1...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank railfans3
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Glad you had a great getaway! We love to hear that you had a great stay. Thanks for letting us know of the cleanliness of your room and the friendly staff. The Station house is always a hit. Thanks for appreciating the value
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I have just logged in to write a review and I'm so surprised to read all the negative stuff!! We absolutely LOVED staying here! (At the same time as some of these bad reviews)

We are doing a road trip of the Deep South, and we seriously wish we had stayed more than one night in Chatanooga, and a large part of that was because of the hotel!

We checked in - its amazing walking into the old station - and were delighted to find that we were staying in a rail car and not the main hotel as we thought we had booked.

The rail car room was amazing - so cool that we had to take pics immediately for FB lol. Yes, it's a bit old, but that adds so much to the charm! It's unique and beautiful. You should be aware that the cars aren't very sound proofed but ear plugs fix that problem.

The rest of the hotel is really pretty - lovely gardens, and some nice pools. We spent an hour or so by the pool with the waterfall, which was very nice and not at all busy.

There are some great eating places nearby - dont eat at the hotel, I don't think it's very nice! The breakfast was awful and expensive - but we got amusement out of having fried chicken for brekky.

Maybe it's just luck that we had such a great experience, but definitely give it a try.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank N_Bibi
WOW! Great comments. Thank you for not listening to the negative reviews. I am so pleased that you LOVED your stay. It is a joy to hear your story. Glad that you were able to stay in one of our signature traincar rooms during your stay. We look forward to your return. In May, we had 3 reviews that were 2 or below, out of 6104 rooms sold. That’s one for every 2034 rooms sold.
bournemouth uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

our room was dirty,especially all the air vents, covered in dust, the floor was wet and damp. the whole hotel had a feel of being unkept and unloved. ordering a drink in the bar, we then saw the bar staff wiping off all the glasses and bottles and locking them away, the staff completely emptied the bar, we were then told to drink up and leave. we ordered the buffet breakfast then found that we had been charged 6$ for the milk for our tea as an extra. a local taxi driver informed us that he had received a lot of complaints about the hotel and ws surprised that we were staying there, he hopped that the local council would intervene and help with re furb. as it was he felt it was an eyesore. the holiday inn status has been removed because of the poor standards.

Room Tip: the room units seem to be opened only when a tour group appears, we were in block 1 which was neares...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank koftepofte
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
I apologize for the problems that you experienced during your stay. Let me address your concerns:
• I am sorry that your room wasn’t properly clean. It is unacceptable that your room wasn’t properly prepared for your arrival. If you had let us know we would have resolved your room issue.
• (2)I do apologize for the service that you received in the lounge. I am puzzled because we have never had any comments like this before. However, I do appreciate you letting us know and will address with the department head.
• As I have mentioned before, the Southside of downtown (our area) has undergone a revitalization with restaurants (3), retail and housing ($300,000+ condo’s) in the last couple of years.
• I am unclear as to the taxi driver’s comments. I don’t believe that he knows much about the hotel industry. We chose to move in a different direction with another chain, Preferred Hotels Group and Historic Hotels. It was not because of poor standards, as a matter of fact, we just had an evaluation and it was 87%
We host many groups from the UK normally with great reviews. We do make mistakes, but we great recoveries.
All the Best
Lewisburg, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Visited the Choo Choo about a month ago. Had such a great time that we planned a return visit this month. We have children and other family in the area and will only stay at this property! Excited to get back to our new friends at the Choo Choo!

Room Tip: We stay in building
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Millie M
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your great comments. We love to hear such comments and I will make sure they are shared with the departments. We would love to have you return.
Paris, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

You can't get the local weather on the TV or any local channels. My phone did not work, lights did not work. It's in a bad location. They won't let you check a minute before three O clock. The staff was not very helpful, but the price through Hotwire was only $ 39, I guess you get what you pay for. There are no computers or wi fi

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 12harley2ride
I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. We offer 39 stations including local plus the weather channel. I am unsure as to why these issues occurred with your TV, phone and lighting. Did you report while you were here? We have Maintenace 18+ hours a day to take care of all guest issues. We do have free WiFi and a business center. We do accommodate guest check-in prior to 3 pm if we have rooms available. I am sorry that we were unable to do so the day of your arrival. We hope that you will give us another try. I will email you via tripadvisor, please call me.
Northleach, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night as part of a tour of the Deep South from the UK. We stayed in many hotels during our stay and this one was the one I was looking forward to the most but it didn't live up to my expectations unfortunately. We stayed in one of the hotel rooms which was clean enough and the beds very comfortable but I felt the whole hotel to be quite run down and tired. The whole area too is in a run down area and I wouldn't feel safe venturing out of he hotel on my own day or night. I can't say much about the food as we only had one meal but what I can remember it was ok though it was expensive and many people in our party headed across to the bar across the road where it was much cheaper. All in all a pleasant enough stay for one night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MissChampers
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. We continually work on upgrading our property. That is a big focus of ours. We hope that while in Chattanooga again, you will give us another try.

Jill Ellis Coker