“We absolutely loved it - wish we had stayed longer!” 5 of 5 stars

Chattanooga Choo Choo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Market Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402-4489   |
Ranked #36 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
London, United Kingdom
“We absolutely loved it - wish we had stayed longer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I have just logged in to write a review and I'm so surprised to read all the negative stuff!! We absolutely LOVED staying here! (At the same time as some of these bad reviews)

We are doing a road trip of the Deep South, and we seriously wish we had stayed more than one night in Chatanooga, and a large part of that was because of the hotel!

We checked in - its amazing walking into the old station - and were delighted to find that we were staying in a rail car and not the main hotel as we thought we had booked.

The rail car room was amazing - so cool that we had to take pics immediately for FB lol. Yes, it's a bit old, but that adds so much to the charm! It's unique and beautiful. You should be aware that the cars aren't very sound proofed but ear plugs fix that problem.

The rest of the hotel is really pretty - lovely gardens, and some nice pools. We spent an hour or so by the pool with the waterfall, which was very nice and not at all busy.

There are some great eating places nearby - dont eat at the hotel, I don't think it's very nice! The breakfast was awful and expensive - but we got amusement out of having fried chicken for brekky.

Maybe it's just luck that we had such a great experience, but definitely give it a try.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank N_Bibi
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
WOW! Great comments. Thank you for not listening to the negative reviews. I am so pleased that you LOVED your stay. It is a joy to hear your story. Glad that you were able to stay in one of our signature traincar rooms during your stay. We look forward to your return. In May, we had 3 reviews that were 2 or below, out of 6104 rooms sold. That’s one for every 2034 rooms sold.
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
bournemouth uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

our room was dirty,especially all the air vents, covered in dust, the floor was wet and damp. the whole hotel had a feel of being unkept and unloved. ordering a drink in the bar, we then saw the bar staff wiping off all the glasses and bottles and locking them away, the staff completely emptied the bar, we were then told to drink up and leave. we ordered the buffet breakfast then found that we had been charged 6$ for the milk for our tea as an extra. a local taxi driver informed us that he had received a lot of complaints about the hotel and ws surprised that we were staying there, he hopped that the local council would intervene and help with re furb. as it was he felt it was an eyesore. the holiday inn status has been removed because of the poor standards.

Room Tip: the room units seem to be opened only when a tour group appears, we were in block 1 which was neares...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank koftepofte
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
I apologize for the problems that you experienced during your stay. Let me address your concerns:
• I am sorry that your room wasn’t properly clean. It is unacceptable that your room wasn’t properly prepared for your arrival. If you had let us know we would have resolved your room issue.
• (2)I do apologize for the service that you received in the lounge. I am puzzled because we have never had any comments like this before. However, I do appreciate you letting us know and will address with the department head.
• As I have mentioned before, the Southside of downtown (our area) has undergone a revitalization with restaurants (3), retail and housing ($300,000+ condo’s) in the last couple of years.
• I am unclear as to the taxi driver’s comments. I don’t believe that he knows much about the hotel industry. We chose to move in a different direction with another chain, Preferred Hotels Group and Historic Hotels. It was not because of poor standards, as a matter of fact, we just had an evaluation and it was 87%
We host many groups from the UK normally with great reviews. We do make mistakes, but we great recoveries.
All the Best
Lewisburg, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Visited the Choo Choo about a month ago. Had such a great time that we planned a return visit this month. We have children and other family in the area and will only stay at this property! Excited to get back to our new friends at the Choo Choo!

Room Tip: We stay in building
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Millie M
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for your great comments. We love to hear such comments and I will make sure they are shared with the departments. We would love to have you return.
Paris, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

You can't get the local weather on the TV or any local channels. My phone did not work, lights did not work. It's in a bad location. They won't let you check a minute before three O clock. The staff was not very helpful, but the price through Hotwire was only $ 39, I guess you get what you pay for. There are no computers or wi fi

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 12harley2ride
I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. We offer 39 stations including local plus the weather channel. I am unsure as to why these issues occurred with your TV, phone and lighting. Did you report while you were here? We have Maintenace 18+ hours a day to take care of all guest issues. We do have free WiFi and a business center. We do accommodate guest check-in prior to 3 pm if we have rooms available. I am sorry that we were unable to do so the day of your arrival. We hope that you will give us another try. I will email you via tripadvisor, please call me.
Northleach, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night as part of a tour of the Deep South from the UK. We stayed in many hotels during our stay and this one was the one I was looking forward to the most but it didn't live up to my expectations unfortunately. We stayed in one of the hotel rooms which was clean enough and the beds very comfortable but I felt the whole hotel to be quite run down and tired. The whole area too is in a run down area and I wouldn't feel safe venturing out of he hotel on my own day or night. I can't say much about the food as we only had one meal but what I can remember it was ok though it was expensive and many people in our party headed across to the bar across the road where it was much cheaper. All in all a pleasant enough stay for one night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MissChampers
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. We continually work on upgrading our property. That is a big focus of ours. We hope that while in Chattanooga again, you will give us another try.

Gilman, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Thanks to Hotwire, my dog and I stayed two nights for $135.00...Molly (my pet) was $35.00 additional for the two nights. Convenient little pet area (fenced in) to allow Molly to potty. The hotel website is a lie about all rooms having a balcony. I stayed in building 2. Building one and two have 8" ledge with railing, I guess if you brought Barbie and her patio furniture, it would be a balcony. If you truly want a balcony, you must get a room in building three. Our 8" balcony had a dead bird on it. (see picture) I just kicked it off so I didn't have to look at it. There were also dead birds on the front lawn near entrance lobby. Like so many other reviews, the hotel is extremely dated. Room was dirty, alarm clock was on its last leg, never knew what time it was.

Bring your own pillows if you can, mattress was firm

It wasn't a horrible stay, I'd deffinetly stay again, but would NEVER pay rack rate.

Free wifi worked great
Gardens were awesome
Lobby had so much old world character
Trains were cool
Parking was great, not sure why they charge $6.00 a day
Restaurants and room service was good?

Staff was friendly, especially Sam who relocated to Tennessee from Wisconsin. Front desk staff was nice and personable.

It really is time for a facelift!!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Mark H
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
I apologize for the problems that you experienced during your stay. We would have gladly moved you to another building had we known of your concerns. We have a manager on duty
24 hours a day to take care of any problems that occur. Let me assure you that this is not the
level of service that we normally provide. We will use your comments to continue to improve
our product and servcie. Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are glad that
you will stay with us again. I will pass along your great comments about the staff.

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed in Hotel 1, Very Old, Definitely needs up-grading. I did not like the fact that animals, pets, etc. were allowed to stay in the rooms. I wondered how the AC system was cleaned after the guests left with their animals and how the Hotel got rid of fleas, tics, dander, etc. that was left behind. I actually found a TIC in my room next to a room that had animals in their room for four days. Other than that, I had a great time in Chattanooga, Tn. I would go back there but I would have to talk more to the staff, and I think I"d do a good inspection before I signed on and ask a lot more questions.

Room Tip: If you have any kind of medical problems, Allergies, Ask questions about your room. It may save your...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Al Y
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the complex but regret that we didn’t meet your room expectations. We do have a commercial cleaning
company who cleans all guests rooms specifically targeting animal hair and dander. This
is on a routine basis. It is a joy to hear that you loved Chattanooga. We look forward to your
return.