“Past glory”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #36 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed April 14, 2013

What looked very promising when entering the hotel lobby was somewhat neutralised by the sight of the hotel rooms. We stayed in hotel block 1 and even the presence of an indoor swimming pool could not hide the fact that the place urgently needs a refurbishment.
Rooms are clean and spacious but outdated.
Maybe hotel blocks 2 and 3 are more recent (we didn't have the time to check it), otherwise choose for the rooms in old train cars.
Staff was very friendly and there is a nice restaurant on the premises (The Station Hall) where the waiters in turn clmib on stage to sing some classic songs. And believe me, they can sing!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We just finished another million dollar renovation to Building 2 last year. In addition our capital plan, we spend $870,000 dollars annually on maintenance and landscaping. Our future looks bright we are making changes all the time. Thanks for your kind comments about the staff and the Station House!

There are newer reviews for Chattanooga Choo Choo

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at the Choo Choo from April 9th - 12th with our 9 year old son. We stayed in one of the train cars (#750) which was located at the "front" just steps away from the main lobby, restaurants, arcade and shops. Our train car was also located adjacent to a covered walkway, so when it rained on Thursday, we could walk around freely to everything without getting wet. The main lobby is breathtaking - the old, open steel dome trusses with their revits, the large center decorative glass dome, the old wood windows with all those mullions! We just don't build like this anymore and I love that this building was saved from demolition. Service at this complex is outstanding. Our "room" was cleaned while we ate breakfast (how do they do that?). We ate dinner at the Station House the first night. Live music and singing. Really enjoyed that along with the great meal and drinks. We ate at the Gardens the rest of the trip since kids eat for free there. Loved the ceiling trellis work and carnival type lighting at the bottom of the "trellis trusses". Food was good but I really loved their Blackberry Sangria. They also make wonderful pancakes; however, wished they used real maple syrup. (We'll bring our own next trip). We also enjoyed the indoor pool - very warm, great for tired feet! Now, the train cars. It was awesome to step up to our front door (all aboard!). Once through the front door, you walk through a narrow entry "hall", past the bathroom and then the room opens up and wow! Where's James West and Artemus Gordon? The bed was very comfortable - new mattress?. We also had a day bed for our son. The room had marble topped night stands, flat screen TV, desk/chair, sitting chair and dresser/mirror. Lots of space. The bathroom looked like it just got new tile and a cultured marble tub surround and sink vanity top. I would have selected different materials (basket weave tile for the floors and a subway tile for the tub surround - or a cultured marble "subway" tile surround for cost savings) and I would have had a serious talk with whoever did the installation. Please note that these are OLD train cars and have not been renovated to the likes of a Barrett-Jackson auction car. However, they are more interesting and fun than a typical hotel room. The shuttle to town was right there and the Aquarium was at the end of the line. Ruby Falls and Rock City were a short and fun drive down the road. We had a relaxing and fun vacation and will return to this hotel.

Room Tip: This complex offers three hotel buildings and 48 sleeper train cars. If you want to be close to the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for your comments and a 5 STAR REVIEW. We are glad that you recognize and appreciate the history of the Dome. We will share your fine comments with our staff. It is a pleasure to know that you were able to dine in the Station House and Garden’s Restaurant, enjoy the indoor pool and your railcar room. We love for all our guests to have a memorable experience. Based on your comments, you and your family did. That is always our goal. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Our room smelled like wet dog as there were large breed dogs everywhere ! We could hear dogs barking through the walls. We requested a room change which was promptly granted, however the new room had what appeared to be blood stains on the sheets. Will not be back.

• Stayed: April 2013
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

I am so sorry that about your experience with your room. We try to put dog groups in the same area so that this doesn’t happen. Unfortunately, we cannot always do so based on our occupancy. However, you should have been informed upon check-in. I do apologize for the room not being properly prepared for you. I assure you that this is not the norm for us. We will use your comments to continue to improve our product and service. We hope that you will give us another try.
Regards,
Jill Ellis Coker
Quality Assurance

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at the Choo Choo hotel when my husband bowled in the Southern bowling tornament. This was one of the best hotel's we've stayed in. Our room was in building 3. I love the fact that there were gift shops and restraunts at the hotel. Our room was very clean. We did do a little walking to go the breakfast and the gift shops but it wasn't too bad at all for us. All the staff we came across were really friendly. We ate pizza one night on one of the train cars and it was great pizza. I bought gifts for all my grandkids at 3 of the gift shops there on sight. I would so recomend this hotel. We did get special rates on our room being with the bowling association.I would love to go back, there is so much to do in Chatanooga.

Room Tip: We stayed in hotel 3.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thanks for your 5 STAR review!!! It's exciting to hear great comments like yours, especially when you are speaking about a group that visited our hotel. We have many repeat groups and we are thrilled to host them. Thanks for your comments about the staff. We have the best staff!!

Thanks again---We look forward to your return!!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had a great stay at the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel. We stayed in a train car and it was a unique experience. It is fun for everyone, but for families with kids is a blast. Also, the location is great, so close to most of the attractions - Ruby Falls, Incline, Rock City or the batterfields. Bottom line, it is worth the experience. They have so much to offer and the staff is extremely nice and also, if you have a dog they have an off leash dog walk area. where do you see that???
Overall, lovely place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for your WONDERFUL review about our hotel and staff.
We are pleased that you had a great visit to the Choo Choo. It means a lot to our staff to see this kind of a review. It’s a great time for the children.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Your experiece will not be the same if you do not reserve a traincar. The uniquness of the traincar is both delightful and authentic. I had my 7 year old on this trip and he was in disbelief that he actually got to sleep in a real traincar. I assure you that my little boy will remember this specific trip fondly for the rest of his life and we travel a lot so that says something. Our traincar was #766 and was next to the pool building and faced the inner courtyard. an excellent location Traincars also get preferred parking ($6.00 per day) by moving the orange cones and parking in front of their traincar. Free Shuttle Mon-Fri (not weekends). Buffet was outstanding and 2 kids eat free ($18.95 for adult) Entire Pizza's were only $9.95 in the Silver Diner. They had a Singing Server Restaurant that provded live entertainment. We ate at the Sweets Shop 2 times $.99 cent candy. It was not an expensive place so that made me happy. The also honor AAA Discounts. I got a traincar for $170 SO WORTH IT!!!!! The cars sleep large family's of 5 and 6.

This was a last minute stay because I had a special event at 8:00A.M. the next morning at the Aquarium. I actually called from the road to reserve a traincar.3 times in my 8 hour drive from Florida so I kept calling to see if a traincar opened up due to a cancellation and at 11PM when they were closing the reservation lines I was in luck and I got an opening for the last traincar available. I waited for a traincar because I read reviews on Tripadvisor that suggested that their trip would have been more authentic if they booked a traincar ILO a regular hotel room and I was so thankful I took this man's advice. Wait for a traincar it is not the same ina hotel room. The heated pool was awesome and we spent 2 hours there at night. There is also a horse and carriage stand that leave right from the hotel for $30.

The actual Traincar was clean and updated and in my opinion luxurious for what it was representing which was an 1800's way of travel in a traincar. The bathrooms were not as tiny as I expected and very functional with very hot water and good water pressure. The A/C (my most important feature) was ice cold like I like it. There is a coffee maker in the room as well plus an ironing board.

I WILL GO BACK HERE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next visit will be a romatic visit with my husband with one day on the traincar then the next day on the Delta Queen (Riverboat).

Room Tip: Only Stay In A Traincar there are 48 traincars on the property. It is a huge complex. The regualr ro...
4  Thank mpeacock_10

WOW WOW I was very pleased to see that you had the ““BEST TIME EVER!!!!!!!!”. That’s terrific! Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I’m also glad that you enjoyed The Station House! I have forwarded your review to the appropriate managers and know you will stay with us next time you visit Chattanooga!
All the best,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked a Victorian train car and was excited to stay in a train room converted nicely,even on tracks with other cars so feels like the real deal. This experience went from a box car to a slice of heaven with the staff quick to upgrade my train car as the first room was 82 degrees still after setting the thermostat to 70 before making the local attractions and returning three hours later to expect a chilly ice car to sweltering heat with a musky smell 740 to be exact. I called and guest relations immediately dispatched maintenance to fix it but in the mean time the staff switched me to a nicer car 741 with artic air and a cleaner over all train car. Kudos for going the extra mile

Room Tip: 741 is nice 740 not as "fresh" possibly just cause HVAC wasn't on caused musky smell
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

I do apologize for the problem that you experienced with your air conditioning but am glad to know that we exceeded your expectations with our recovery. Unfortunately, we can’t always predict when A/C problems occur. However, thank you for your very kind comments about our staff in assisting you to another room. We appreciate you sharing your story with us. Come back again.
Regards,