“Anniversary”

Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
Chattanooga
“Anniversary”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were very pleased with service, upgraded to suite at no extra charge. Station House retaurant was awesome, good food and great entertainment. Our waiter Kenny Herron went beyond all expectations. Room was very nice and clean. outside of hotel could use some updating and color.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
I am so glad that you had a wonderful time celebrating your anniversary. Congratulations! It is great to know that you enjoyed the suite and the Station House restaurant. Come back for another weekend getaway.
Jim Bambrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Korean first
Columbus. Ohio
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is billed as a historic hotel. It has multiple hotel buildings, plus rooms available in old railroad cars [for a $40 upcharge]. It also has several restaurants and shops, and a large ballroom/meeting area. Our room was spacious but tired. Our building had little sound proofing so we heard doors opening and closing, cars pulling in, etc. for much of the evening. Public areas were ... tired. The ballroom, where we were working the next day, was ... tired. We were here off-season so many of the shops were closed by 6, when we arrived. We walked around the railroad cars/upgraded rooms. Couldn't see in them but the cars themselves looked ... tired. We considered having dinner at the Station House restaurant, where wait staff also step onstage and perform ... but the live music was so loud we opted to eat elsewhere where we could talk. Hotel staff were wonderfully helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank peebs777
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. I am sorry that you weren’t pleased with your accommodations. Ownership has reinvested millions of dollars into the Choo Choo. Three years ago, we finished a 1 million dollar plus renovation to our guest rooms and corridors in Building 3 to brand standards. It is requested regularly by thousands of guests because of the oversized rooms, balcony or patio for each room. We just finished another million dollar renovation to Building 2. The Ballroom was renovated in 2007. I don’t know your room number, but would be glad to speak to you in more detail about your visit. I will email you via tripadvisor.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The hotel lobby is one-of-a-kind as the old rail station and the whole experience continues from there to the restaurants, outside areas, train cars, etc. Great place for children with fun shops and train museum. We did not book one of the train cars rooms but will next time to enjoy that unique experience. Our room was normal and average with a sagging king bed and spartan facilities. We found it weird and very inconvenient to have to trek through the pool area with all our luggage to get to our room. That was difficult with multiple locked doors and wet floor bit we got in and settled.
The hotel is a distance from the aquarium, riverfront, restaurants and city activities, but the terminus for the free electric shuttles is next to the hotel; very convenient.
We ate the prime rib buffet special in the Gardens Room. Average fare for most of the food. After, all it is a buffet. The prime rib was very good.
Overall, an OK stay. We will stay here again on our return to Chattanooga with our grandchildren and treat them to a night in a rail car.

Room Tip: Try the rail cars if your budget allows for a unique experience. Beware of Building 1, with the poo...
1 Thank Knox10SC
Thank you for your kind comments. We love to hear such comments and I will make sure they are shared with the departments. We take great pride in our property. We will check the bed out in this room. Come back again soon!
Oak Ridge, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I have no stayed here three times in the last year and a half, once for Chattacon and twice for Connooga. I have NEVER had anything go wrong here. All of the staff are friendly and very welcome. They made me feel wanted, and not just a burden to the hotel. Some conventions I have gone to the staff acts annoyed to have us, but The Choo Choo has NEVER had that attitude. Beyond their superb service, their facilities are wonderful. We have stayed in building two and three (three being my favorite due to the parties/pool area), and they are both neat and each unique from the other. Next year just to try it out, we are going to stay in building one, so I can swim in the warm indoor pool. Everything was clean, and convenient, and rooms are very nice and relaxing. I also hope to someday stay in one of the car rooms, because that seems really cool. I again just want to thank the staff for everything, and I hope to stay there every year I go to the cons there.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, but I will advise IF YOU ARE STAYING FOR CONNOOGA OR CHATTACON that if you stay...
1 Thank LaurenPierce
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
FANTASTIC IS WHAT WE LOVE. Conooga is a great event with great people like you.
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband bought a stay at this hotel through social media. He was looking forward to visiting Chattanooga. The attractions were great and we enjoyed our weekend visiting all the sites.
However our stay at the hotel was not as fun. This hotel is in serious need of updating. Our hotel room was large but rather dirty. The clock radio had months worth of dust on it and the other nightstand had not been wiped clean in awhile We had breakfast at the hotel. My first napkin was dirty and had lipstick stains. The second napkin had hair on it.(pubic) The coffee cup I was given had lipstick stains and was dirty on the outside. I will never stay here again. The whole place made my stomach turn.

2 Thank jane s
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I am sorry about this situation. Did you notify management about your issues? If management knows of an issue they will act on it. We do not like unhappy guests. I assure you that this is not the normal level of service that we provide. . We have 4 managers (including me) on our QA team that inspect rooms on a regular regular basis, along with the Executive Housekeeper and her inspectors. Our CSI with Tripadvisor this quarter is 83%. I will email you via tripadvisor to talk to you about your review.

south carolina
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a fun place to stay that is reasonably priced, and close to everything. There are lots of hokey, train-themed shops and things on the premises. The place is very old, so if you are the kind of person that critiques the wallpaper, you may want to stay somewhere else.

But if you are fun, and you want to be within a few blocks walk or free trolley ride to all of the fun things in Chattanooga, stay at the Choo Choo.

Also, for really great food and beer, try the Terminal Brewery right next door, they are always busy and there is usually a wait for a reason.

Room Tip: I know the train cars sound fun, but stay in a normal room. Better price, less claustrophobic, will...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank atmccr
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
We strive to provide the best hospitality value and exceptional service in the city. It sounds like you were able to enjoy the venues around the complex. Thank you for your comments. We hope you will come back again while visiting Chattanooga.
Regards,
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I were in Chattanooga on business, and we stayed here, although we usually stay elsewhere. Tried a change. This place is revolting. Sticky carpet in room, black mold spots on ceiling (let's HOPE it was mold...) food clotted on chairs in room. Vile.

Room Tip: Somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Jessica H
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
We cannot find you in our Property Management System. If you stayed with us, I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. I would like the opportunity to speak with you concerning the issues you encountered. Did you speak to a manager during your stay? We always want the customer to talk to us while they are here do we can make sure they have a pleasant stay. Please call me at the hotel so we can get more information on your experience. I will email you via tripadvisor.