“Southern Hospitality”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #39 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I love Chattanooga because it offers so many unique experiences and staying at the Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel is one of those. We stayed in one of the rooms by the pool last summer and had a wonderful weekend getaway. But this time we stayed in one of the cozy train rooms. We loved it!! Very spacious, romantic and cozy. I was surprised how large the rooms were, nicely appointed and very private. The bathroom was also very large with a nice wall heater. We loved the breakfast, wonderful service and convenience of the free electric shuttle right next to the hotel that left every 5-10 minutes. The lobby is breath taking with the beautiful dome ceiling. Thank goodness they have maintained this beautiful hotel since you feel the excitement of the train days of yesterday.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 3 by the pool before which was nice but loved staying in a train car this time...
1  Thank Marsha C
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Southern Hospitality is what we are about. Thank you for your kind 5 STAR review. We do have a lot to offer on our complex. I am glad that you were able breakfast and our great staff. It is wonderful to hear that your railcar accommodations were very nice. . I will share your comments with the staff. We look forward to you coming back again and again and again!
Regards,
Jill Ellis Coker
Quality Assurance

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The lobby (that amazing terminal dome) is one of the most beautiful spaces you'll ever see, and the staff lives up to the ideal of Southern Hospitality. The food is good and their packages on Groupon are very generous. But forget about the three hotel buildings on site; really, the only place to stay is on one of the trains. Our room took up half a car and was surprisingly roomy with a truly unique ambiance.
One of the best parts of the stay is how convenient it is to everything. A free Chattanooga shuttle bus takes you to the heart of downtown just a few minutes away. But best of all, Chattanooga has really come into its own in the past few years, making it a great place for a Tennessee vacation.

Room Tip: Go for a train car!
2  Thank Larry N
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thanks for your great 5 star review. Also, I am glad that you enjoyed staying in one of our signature rooms, the train cars. Thanks for your comments about our Dome and the staff. Come back soon.
All the Best

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We loved our stay at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo. The rooms are a wonderful size, very clean.
The beds were very comfortable and everyone was friendly and helpful. The hotel is older but the accommodations were very ample and the authenticity was refreshing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Margie B

Congratulations on the wedding! Thanks for the 5 star rating! I am pleased that you had a good time. Also, thank you for your great compliments about our accommodations, staff and service. All the Best,

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Fantastic! A wonderful location. Entering the Hotel hall you suddenly enter an old train station of the 20's. The staff is professional and friendly, with many tips about the area. We slept in one of the train car suite. Unforgettable. Great decor. Charming. Even the breakfast, my first in America, was very good. I warmly suggest to stay here if you will stop in Chattanooga!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ciopman
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

AMAZING IS WHAT WE LOVE TO HEAR. Thank you for recognizing and enjoying the history of the Choo Choo. Glad you enjoyed your stay in a railcar room. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us on your trip to the US. We hope that you will visit us again.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed last Saturday night did the romantic get away had a great time stayed in a train car super clean ate at the station house the food was awesome great trip! Highly reccomend can't say enough good things would come back

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Hubub

I am so glad that you had a wonderful time celebrating your 10th anniversary. Congratulations! It is great to know that you enjoyed the railcar room and the Station House restaurant. Come back for another weekend getaway.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at the hotel this past weekend for a dance convention. Check in was fine and the employees all were friendly. That is the only positive thing I can say about this place and I travel often. We requested building 3 since it's supposed to have deluxe rooms and our request was met. We drove around to our room and I was surprised because the buildings looked like a prison for lack of a better word. But I was trying to be positive so continued into the dirty elevator. We arrived at the room to find vomit on one of the beds and mildew in the bathroom. So we called and were switched to another room in the same building that was still gross. Bathroom floor hadn't been cleaned in years and the toilet seat had urine and hairs on it. There was some mildew in the shower as well. Good thing I packed clorox wipes to clean up the bathroom so we could use it. The beds were hard as rocks and actually made my body ache. The rugs and floors were lumpy and uneven in the entire building. Our first night we woke up at 1am up by drunk people at the outdoor jacuzzi/pool area. Not the hotels fault but that didn't allow my daughter to get much rest for her competition. Also she was coughing really bad and couldn't breathe well when I turned on the heat. Maybe because the air filter was absolutely disgusting! I thought of switching hotels the next morning but didn't want to move since our dance company was staying here and it would be inconvenient. I wouldn't stay here even if they paid me and many of the other families at the convention had a similar issues. In the future I will stay at a nice clean establishment for the same price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Nickay
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

There is no excuse for this. We tried to call you the moment we got your review from our property management system We have identified the person responsible for this and that person has been reprimanded. We have 4 managers (including myself) on our QA team that inspect rooms regular basis, along with the Executive Housekeeper and her inspectors. I will email you via tripadvisor.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Recently stayed two nights at this hotel. Was expecting a much nicer property, so I was disappointed in the overall state of this hotel. Stayed in Building 1 which housed an indoor pool. Not sure if the musty smell in the common areas was from the pool or from several areas that were leaking. A bucket was used to catch water from one of the larger leaks. It needed to be emptied and I reported this to a housekeeper who called maintenance, but I don't believe it was emptied while we were there. The hallways leading to the rooms are in much need of repair which gives the impression that you are in a budget hotel. However, our room was much better than the common areas and was clean. It took a long time to get hot water when taking shower. Ate at the Station House one evening. Food was good and the singing servers were definitely a treat! Be aware that they automatically add a charge for the singers. Breakfast in the Gardens restaurant was average and service was slow. Electric shuttle station is conveniently located next door if you want to use this service to travel to some of the other city sites. This is a very historic place and because it is an icon in Chattanooga, I am glad that I got to visit. However, I don't feel that I can recommend this property to other travelers to Chattanooga.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. I do apologize that we had a problem with a ceiling leak during your visit. The installation of a new roof for building one began this week. Let me assure you that we continually work on renovating our property. We look forward to your return. I feel assured that you will not be disappointed on a return visit.
Regards