“Luxury in a train carriage”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Gosforth, England, United Kingdom
“Luxury in a train carriage”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at the Chatanooga Choo Choo in November and it was a really good experience. We stayed in one of the rooms on the actual train and the room was really nice, spacious and warm. If you are staying in Chatanooga I would recommennd the hotel, but there isn't much in the area directly around the hotel. As we were just staying the night on the way to Nashville it did not matter to us. A trip up the nearby mountain was good fun, and there is more to do in Chatanooga if you have time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thanks for your review and I am pleased you had an really good experience. Also, I am glad that you enjoyed staying in one of our signature rooms, the train cars. We get many similar comments from other guests.
All the Best
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I am very pleased about my stay at the Choo. From the moment we landed until we left, the staff was professional and friendly. I came with two friends, met up with another and ended up getting two rooms. One of the rooms was a traincar that was phenomenal. It was warm, it was spacious, and it had a sense of history to it. The other room was a standard room which took a while to heat up but was very nice and had a much larger water heater. The Choo was very close to many local attractions and eateries and the free electric shuttle is next door. I was impressed by the attentiveness of the managers and front desk people. One of my companions ate at the Choo and was very happy about the quality of the food. I also liked the gift shop and the old tyme photos even with their wifi issues.

I would stay at the Choo if and when I came back to Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Room Tip: If you get a bad room, contact the front desk and they will fix the issue for you.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Happy Birthday! Thanks for the 5 star rating! I am pleased that you and your friends had a god time. Also, thank you for your great compliments about our accommodations, staff and service. See you next time!
Dallas (near Atlanta), GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have visited the Choo Choo hotel several times over the years and seen it go downhill and back uphill. Right now, it is moving in the right direction. Other reviewers are right when they say that some of the place it run down. The good news is that the current owners are vested in returning it to its former glory. I highly recommend staying in a train car room for the experience, though they do get pricey for longer stays. The indoor pool is nice, but you do have to walk around the grounds to get there unless you happen to have a room in that building. The model train layout is a must-see for kids, but when I was there, it was in serious need of a dusting. The must-see for adults has to be the Station House restaurant where the waiters and waitresses all get on stage and sing for the patrons...do be aware that since every now and then your waiter will be on stage, that they won't be able to serve you until the song is over. And, of course, you should definitely find your way around the old terminal and the grounds, specifically the rose garden and historic trains.

Room Tip: Train car for the nostalgia or Building 3 for the pool. Train cars right at the parking lot will pr...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We do have a lot to offer on our complex. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the grounds and utilize the other venues on our property. It is wonderful to hear that your railcar accommodations were very nice. I am pleased that your children enjoyed that experience. The Station House is an enjoyable experience. They do have some very talented entertainers that love to perform and make many memorable experiences for a lot of customers. I will share your comments with the staff. We look forward to you coming back again and again and again!
Regards,
Jill Ellis Coker
Quality Assurance
Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We came to the Chattanooga Choo Choo thinking it was just a museum. It was not advertised very well and we were a little disappointed to see that there was not much out there besides the historical train cars as part of a hotel. There were hardly any signs and we didn't even know it was a hotel until we saw the actual buildings way past the train cars. Still, it was something to check off the list, to say you've been there, done that. Lots of historical and preserved artifacts. There were a few shops, a model train museum, a restaurant, and a coffee/sandwich shop. There was also a horse-drawn carriage pick-up stand right out front. Most of it looked pretty run down, though. Not much for younger kids to do besides climb on a restored locomotive for a bit. Maybe I'll come back on a romantic getaway in one of the train cars and see how things go then.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
I don’t believe the guest stayed with us, but just walked around. We have thousands of people that do just that every year.
What the guest saw was over 100 years old! We work very hard to keep our complex clean and well maintained. We have a rolling list of capital projects that are worked on regularly,which is required by our lender. Also, we spend $870,000 dollars annually on regular maintenance and landscaping. I guess Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

As most have said, I was a bit apprehensive about bringing my family here based on some of the reviews, but decided to give it a chance as my son is obsessed with trains. We were completely wowed by our experience at the world famous Choo Choo! Our room was in the first building with the indoor pool, what a great way to get the kids energy spent up! We absolutely loved the model railroad museum, our son didn't want to leave! They have these buttons that the kids can push to make specific parts of the display move (the clucking chickens was his favorite part). Our room had two double beds and was very spacious, plenty of room for my wife's massive suitcase with room to spare for our son to play in the room. We loved having the sliding glass door out to the patio/garden. We had a very early morning departure planned and phoned the desk for a wake up call, Jackie answered the phone and was very helpful. She inquired as to how our stay was going and if we needed anything else, wished us a pleasant evening. While this isn't a top resort in the world; it was more than ideal for our family! Hardest part was leaving!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
It is thrilling to see that you enjoyed your stay to include your overnight accommodations and the model train museum. Your comments will be shared. We work hard to be the best hospitality value in Chattanooga. Thank you for your repeat business. We look forward to a return visit with your family.
Regards,
Jill Ellis
Quality Assurance
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recommend the railcar stay for one night only. Our 7 and 9 year old thought is was really cool. My husband and I thought is was a little run down and not squeaky clean. A couple of the staff working there were excellent. I did not see any other rooms and did not eat at any of the restaurants. The grounds were interesting and enjoyed the gas lanterns.

I'm sorry to say that we will probably not stay here again.

Also, we had called at 10am and the price was $179 per night. By 1pm it had dropped to $159 and by 3pm we ended up getting it for $149.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I am glad to hear that your children enjoyed the train car room. We work hard to make trains the central theme of our hotel. As noted in other replies, we do continue to work on our hotel. It takes a lot of time and labor to make sure that we maintain our property. We have a team of 200+ employees who work very hard in all areas of our complex. Thank you for your compliments. We would welcome a return visit.
Regards
Jill Ellis Coker
QA
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

A unique place to stay. Many different accomodations to select from, including a rail berth suite. Restaurants are "just" okay; don't miss the gift shop; unique as well. Only problem we encountered was loss of power and room keys didn't work, but was corrected quickly(probably not their fault).

Room Tip: Different buildings; we stayed in high rise in back, overlooking pool(with balcony). Consider train...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
I am pleased you loved it and thanks for your 4 star reviews... hope you return someday for that rail car experience