When were we there: June 2012
Who are we: Part of a tourist part from Great Rail Holidays in the UK. Age group about 65
Where is the Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel: about 3-4 miles out of the City
Transport links: there is a free electric shuttle bus very close (100 yards) from the hotel entrance which runs a frequent service downtown (such as downtown is), but terminates at the Tourist Information Centre.
Hotel description: not a particularly pretty hotel being an ex railway station from years gone by. Rather a small'ish sprawling complex of buildings and railway coaches (which you can book to sleep in). Some small nice gardens. Gift shops. Old railway Engine (on Track 29!!). Look for the door above the reception area, which in the old days was where a man would stand and shout the train departures. Not many people know this!
The rooms: typically American with two double beds, slightly dowdy but with a decent sized bathroom. Abit faded splendour generally sums up the hotel. Trading on being what it was in the past. Very acceptable and generally quite clean. No room safe. Coffee facilities.
Good security with respect to entry into the hotel buildings
Breakfast: a very decent restaurant available for food, but cereals or somethings abit cheaper, go to the cafe alongside the main restaurant. Quite small but OK. Cafe also will make up a decent sandwich
There is a bar with a most entertaining and witty barman who has been there many years. A really nice guy. He will also tell you about the hotel and it's past .
Parking: adequate and quite safe
Staff: very nice and friendly
Swimming: look like a nice pool in Building Complex Number 1.
The area around the hotel: nothing there really. No small Ma and Pa for breakfast.
Chattanooga: quite a lovely city. Go down to the riverfront. Seems a safe place.
Tourist Information well worth a visit. Much to learn and nice staff. Good map of City on the wall.
Would I stay again? Yes. Good transport links (as above) to city. Check hours of operation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the South's most renowned landmarks, the Chattanooga Choo Choo opened in 1909 and welcomed thousands of travelers during the Golden Age of railroads. Today, the 23 acre complex is a magnificently restored hotel resort for visitors of all ages. The Holiday Inn Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel offers a variety of overnight accommodations, including the famous Victorian Era train rooms and luxurious suites. *Theme restaurants *Specialty shops *Authentic New Orleans trolley ride *Model railroad display *Convention Center *3 swimming pools *Tennis courts *Beautiful formal gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Preferred Hotels, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Chattanooga Choo Choo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel Chattanooga
- Holiday Inn Chattanooga Choo
- Chattanooga Holiday Inn