“Old historical hotel with railroad car rooms”

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
michigan
“Old historical hotel with railroad car rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

We found a great price through Hot Wire. We had an old but comfrotable room. This hotel is conveniently located with a free downtown shuttle next door. The hotel has 4 good restaurants, 3 nice pools and a beautiful garden. It is a old hotel, so the hallways are noisy and it does have a little old smell. It was very clean and it looks like they are fixing it up.

Room Tip: Walk the Walnut Bridge across the TN River. There were festivals on both sides of the bridge last w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lovetoeatMichigan
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Thanks for your comments. I am glad that you were able to visit the restaurants, pools and garden. We work very hard to maintain our property. Just as you stated, we are indeed upgrading our hotel. We have just completed a 97 guest rooms and corridor renovation in Building 2. Thank you for recognizing that. We look forward to your return.
Regards
Quality Assurance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Upon arriving we walked into our room. At 1st glance you are impressed. However, when we laid down in the bed and looked up the corner of the ceiling and wall were molded & peeling away. The coffee pot did not have the filter area & the ice bucket had trash in it from the previous customer. I would not pay those prices again. The hot tub was NOT hot and kids ran around till all hours of the night.

The staff almost acted like assisting us was too much trouble! I will stick with the Hampton Inn or Marriott.

3 Thank suzanne326
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
I am disappointed to hear of your comments. Did you report the noise issue with the front desk? We have 24 hour security that would have taken care of that; if they had known. I am unsure as to your comment of an “old” room but I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. We would have gladly moved you to another room. I assure you that we want all of our guests to have a great experience. Thank you for appreciating the history of the Choo Choo. Regards,
Gray, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed at the Choo Choo for business in April 2012. I was impressed with the grand foyer and reception desk area. It had the look of the old train station - high ceilings, ornate trim, etc. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient.

I had high expectations for the Choo Choo, a Chattanooga landmark for so many years. I was disappointed in the condition of the building. I stayed on the second floor of building 2.The entryway seemed tired and lacked any "shine". It seemed as though there wasn't much attention to detail paid in the upkeep. New carpet and a fresh coat of paint would work wonders - even a thorough vacuuming would help. I stayed 2 nights and saw the same loose dirt on the carpet on the second floor walkway (from the stairs to the room corridor) the entire time I was there. The door handle to the corridor was loose, practically falling out of the door. There was chipped paint in a lot of areas and a musty smell to the building.

Thankfully the sleeping room was clean. The bathroom was clean and the bed linens were clean and fresh. There was, however, a tired-looking arm chair I wouldn't go near. Overall, the room was quiet - didn't seem to be too many guests there.

Ate in the Gardens Restaurant the first evening. I had chicken tenders and corn fritters. The food was average. Would liked to have eaten in the Station House, but it wasn't open on Monday nights.

Went to the area where the model train museum is. Downstairs is a little stark - something behind the empty windows besides black plastic would be good. And that musty smell was strong in this area also. Upstairs in the room where our business class was held there were stained ceiling tiles and the hvac system was so loud the instructor had to shout. Please do not use folding chairs for an all day class - terribly uncomfortable.

The Chattanooga Choo Choo is a great "theme hotel" with a rich history. It just needs some attention to detail and a lot of TLC to be restored to greatness. I hope in the future the Choo Choo gets on the right track.

Room Tip: If you can get a train car room, I think you'd be happier. I was fortunate enough to see inside...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TNtraveler070567
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Used Hotwire and gotten this hotel.....when checking in, the front staff was very cordial and friendly.....too busy talking about everything that he missed telling us that there was a parking fee! We just got the invoice on our checkout day. The room was very old with terrible basic items. Dirty old pillows that never been replaced....found hair all over the "clean" sheets.
I have been all over the country and visited many hotels from all different levels and this is the first time i have ever experienced bad attitudes in their housekeeping. For our entire stay, the housekeeping came in our room at all hours of the day and if we were not ready to vacate our room at their convenience, they were belligerent. When they came back to clean, they just made the bed and nothing else.....
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone......

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Woomac
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
I regret that we did not meet your expectations. I’m sorry that the desk didn’t inform you of the parking charge, if they were telling you about the property it is possible that they didn’t mention it. If you found hair on your sheets, did you call to speak with the manager? We would have taken care of it right away. I’m not sure how long your stay was but we do have a manager on duty 24hrs a day and this is the first I have heard of this issue. I would really like to speak to you about your visit, especially about the housekeeper.. I will email you via tripadvisor.
All the Best,
Jim Bambrey
GM
Memphis, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

There is history and it's got that going for it, but WAY overpriced. We paid $175 for 1 night in an old room. Kids running up and down the hall at 3am yelling and screaming. The indoor pool was nice, but not very big so you were on top of each other. I would never stay here again or advise anyone else to.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, don't stay here.
1 Thank cherkassy
Bay City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

It was a beautiful place to have dinner. Waiter was great & so was the food. We'll be back in Feb.Want to see more of the whole place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
ChooChoo29, Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
I am so glad that you enjoyed Dinner in the Diner. Thanks for complimenting the food and service that you received. We look forward to your return in February.
Regards,
gainesville ga
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

this being reported as a 4 star hotel, my opinionis it is a 1, tried calling office for extra towel, i could get no answer after 15 minutes of calling, finally i called on my cell phone and got a answer they said they would send one right out, it never arrived, room was very bare looking , with only one lamp, this room was no where as nice as a room that was cheap that i rented from days inn

Room Tip: stay away unless you can get a room at about $35 a day
3 Thank 60loverboy
ChooChoo29, General Manager at Chattanooga Choo Choo, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. It is unacceptable that you had to make numerous calls for towels and the response was slow. Let me assure you that this is not the norm. Your comments will be used to do some retraining. I am a little confused as to your comment about the room looking bare. We do furnish our rooms per brand standards. I would like to speak with you about your visit. Our goal is to always have our guests come back to us. I will email you via tripadvisor.
All the Best,