“Scary night”

Ranked #51 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
usa
“Scary night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stay at the Hampton Inn because I have always found them to be clean, professionally run and because I feel secure and safe. Things that are important to me since I travel alone most of the time. The time I stayed here I had passed quite a few exits because I was specifically looking for a Holiday Inn Express or a Hampton Inn. By the time I found this place I was tired and it was dark and I was ready to stop. What a mistake. The lobby was dingy filled with groups of men that I later found out were railroad workers. The receptionist was friendly enough but her appearance was not very professional. We discussed room locations and I said I wanted an inside room. It was located a good distance from the main building and my car was the only one there. When I called and asked if I would be safe and did not feel secure she assured me that i was safe, "The security guard made rounds and the railroad men were in and out all night". The room and furnishings were old and seedy. The sofa was covered in dust and there was a big brown spot on one of the cushions. The bathroom was clean but worn looking. Had it been earlier and I had seen anything better I would have left in a heartbeat. I was afraid things would only be worse.so I stayed and left early!
Some executive from the Hilton chain needs to stay there or at least visit the place and I bet it wouldn't carry their name any longer.

Room Tip: There is no good room....don't even pause there.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Jonesboro, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel a few times on business, but this weekend will be my last stay there. The staff is ok, but not as good as what this hotel had in the past. I had a reservation and checked into this Hampton around 6 pm. After getting my key and room number I went to the room. I opened it up and saw someone else was in the room. I went back to the desk and was shocked at the response the girl gave me. She said, "oh yeah. The previous guest is still here. You got here too early." What?? It's 6 pm! Finally she gave me another room after offering me some free chocolate first.
The rooms are always fairly clean. The tv's are great since they went to flat screens and dropped that sorry Lodgenet system. The pillows are usually pretty good with plenty of towels in the room. You get free bottled water in a cooler by the front desk.
The doors to each room open to the outside, which isn't good considering the noisy location of the hotel. My room had a gap under the door to expose light and more sound. A group of army guys were next door and seemed to hang outside my room all night smoking and being loud. This hotel has a lot of military staying here, as well as a lot of railroad workers. Many of the railroad workers seem to hang around the lobby for some reason. There are also a lot of PTI Transportation vehicles always taking up the best parking spaces. The breakfast used to be good here with a good morning staff, but they've quit making the sausage, gravy, and biscuits. Now they have eggs with a lot of peppers in them and they always have some sliced weiners and little squares that they call home fries. They do still let you make your own waffle, but if you do something wrong the "breakfast nazi" will let you know about it. The guy that runs breakfast now always gets defensive and develops an attitude if you ask or complain about breakfast.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Jaguar94xjs
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

The Hampton Inn on Shallowford Rd. in Chattanooga is an “old style” Hampton Inn where the rooms open to the outside as opposed to an inside corridor. This means going outside when you want to access the lobby or breakfast area. The hotel’s biggest pluses are its location in the Hamilton Place mall area, nearby restaurants, reasonably priced rooms, and friendly and helpful staff.

Since my last visit, the lobby has been remodeled and redecorated, and the breakfast has been expanded and refurnished. The guest rooms also appear to have been updated with new chairs, lampshades, and window treatments. It also looked like the carpet had been replaced or cleaned, and the tile floor in the bathroom looked new to me.

I did have a few issues with the room I was given. The sink was slow to drain, and the clock didn’t work (yes, I checked to see if it was plugged in). The outside door handle required the strength of King Kong to open. I had to put down everything I was carrying and push down on it with all my might using both hands. When I checked out I let the desk clerk know so that at least the sink could be fixed and the clock replaced before the next guest arrived. She was very understanding and didn’t dismiss my complaints. Even though I did not ask for, nor expect, any compensation, I was offered a gift card for the inconvenience. I appreciated the gesture.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Montgomery, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

I booked this Hampton because of the convenience and because we have found the "Hampton Inn" chain to be very reliable. What I found in this Hampton shocked me beyond words. It is a very dirty, seedy establishment and I worried for our safety. The entire facility is filthy and no matter how much $$ they pour into that dump it will not make a difference. I am contacting corporate to insist they reevaluate this facilty and close it all together. If you decide to stay there, I highly recommend you sleep with your clothes on and wear shoes in the shower (filthy). It was the most digusting experience I have ever had with over night accomodations. As I read the other reviews I could not help but wonder where they stayed or if they were from some third world country. Trust me please...DO NOT STAY AT THIS LOCATION!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed here from 5 to 12 May 2010, and my choice was based on some of the Tripadvisor recommendations, the competetive price, and the location of the Hotel to the I-75, and to local restaurants and shops.
We had booked a king size room, and had interior access, although we would have been happy with outside access, and the room was lovely, recently redecorated, with a large bathroom, and sofa and desk in the bedroom as well. We appreciated the coffee which was available all day, and the iced bottles of water in reception, which were invalauble as the weather was very hot when we were there, up to 92 which is hot for early May!! I always tried to time our arrival back to the Hotel with the fresh cookies at reception each day! The internet was good for keeping up to date with news from home.
The breakfast was delicious, plenty of fresh fruit and the usual cereals, bagels and waffles, but my husband appreciated the choice of hot items each day.
The Hotel is so well situated for travelling to downtown, only 20 minutes to the shuttle park at $3 for the day, and we could walk out each evening for a meal, only 10 minutes walk to Appelbees, O'Charleys, which was excellent, or Faziolis, and the Texas Road Steakhouse as well, we had a great meal there.
The staff at the Hotel are all so friendly and helpful, and became our friends over the week, thanks to Becca, Stacey, and Pat as well as all the other staff for making our stay great!

Sally and Dennis

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Shoemakersville, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

DO NOT stay at this hotel if you value your possessions or safety. They have no security provisions whatsoever.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rabii
nashville, tn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

Great staff, great room, great overall experience. The room was nicer than I expected. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The bathroom was small but not uncomfortable. Nice tv, sofa bed, microwave, and refrigerator. I didn't hear any noise from other guests or from the interstate. The room and all of the hotel grounds were very clean. The breakfast was nice; especially for free. The area was great with any type of food you can imagine. There is a mall right on the other side of the interstate. (Pretty good mall with several major department stores and almost all of the stores actually are occupied.) I would definately stay there again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple