“Damp smelly room, traffic noise”

Days Inn Chattanooga/Hamilton Place
Ranked #31 of 97 Hotels in Chattanooga
TN
“Damp smelly room, traffic noise”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Stayed here one night for business. Rooms on bottom floors are outside entry. Requested a quiet room but when I arrived for my reservation there was only one room left. Not sure it would have mattered as most rooms are exposed to traffic noise. Had difficulty getting door open and thought at first the key didn't work but the door was warped. Probably due to dampness from air conditioning unit. Appeared that room decor had been recently updated but room smelled like smoke (even though all Marriotts are smoke-free) and mildew. Didn't ask for another room as I knew there were no others available. Informed front desk at check-out but they didn't seem concerned. Free breakfast looked like one of the better ones I have seen at Fairfield but unfortunately was too tired to eat after no sleep.

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Can't believe this is a Marriott. It's the worst Marriott property I have ever stayed at. Here for 3 nights - very small rooms and a really small bathroom. The bed mattress - really bad quality unless you like really hard mattresses. Not the typical pillow top mattress that the other Marriott hotels have. Squishy pillows. Old furniture and an old television. This must have been a different hotel and Marriott bought it. No closet - not much room to have one. Carpet and drapes are new. If I had known that the bed was not the usual Marriott quality I would not have booked 3 nights. Woke up each morning with a sore aching back. This hotel is next to the highway - we had to stay on the 2nd floor as there were no rooms on the 1st or 3rd floors. We could hear the noise from the highway as well as someone walking above us. When people walked past the door you could hear every word of their conversation. Room has a unit by the window for heat and A/C. The A/C worked fine - just makes the typical noise. There is no fan in the bathroom. There is a pool by the side - did not use it. Breakfast was just so-so but I don't judge a hotel for it's free breakfast. Had I known that the mattresses here were not comfortable, I would have stayed at the other hotel that I had booked for one night up the street. The mattress was hard and the pool was closing for 2 days for painting so I switched hotels. There is no refrigerator or microwave at this Fairfield Inn. They have ice machines on each floor and soda machines. Really a budget hotel. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed May 4, 2010

As others have said this hotel has a weird layout. And it's in an area with thousands of rooms - I literally saw every chain hotel represented just by looking out my window. So if you are willing to bargain hunt I bet you can find a cheaper room nearby. That being said we stayed just one night at a good price and have no complaints. We often stay at Fairfields and this one was as expected.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Staff was friendly, rooms and bathrooms were very small. Expected more for a "Marriott hotel." Price was one of the lowest around, but didn't think the room was worth $80/night (government rate). Weird layout as well. 3 floors, 2 of which were outside entries and the 3rd floor was indoor entries. Had to have room key to access third floor. Overall, not what we expected from the Marriott name. One other pro: VERY close to lots of restaurants.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Alabama
Reviewed January 25, 2010

The fairfield inn in Chattanooga is worthy of the many positive reviews on this web site. While many of the reviewers point out that many of the rooms have doors facing the outside, the 3rd floor of the hotel actually had doors facing an inside hallway, much like more other Marriott hotels. So I got a room up there and it helped muffle the highway noise that otherwise would have been present being so close to I-75. The room is small and spartan, but the price is good so for short business trips I think it's really worth it. Plus the continental breakfast is very convenient if you only want a small bite to eat and don't have time to stop anywhere else on the way to work.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed November 17, 2009

An amazing AAA rate of $63 a night included a small, clean, very recently remodeled, safe and comfortable room, king bed, breakfast, parking, accommodating hotel staff, and wireless high speed internet in room or lobby. This hotel was walking distance to Applebees, Cracker Barrel and a couple other restaurants. Also, 10-15 minutes to all the attractions in Chattanooga, VERY close to the area mall. Typically, we stay downtown so we can get around easier and almost did for this trip too. I am glad I chose this hotel and recommend to anyone for a similar sightseeing short or weekend trip. I would have paid more, but the great rate made this stay A+.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
DeRidder, La
Reviewed September 5, 2009

friendly and courteous check-in ; rooms open to the outside ;extremely clean room with absolutely no odors; smaller room than most fairfield inns; compact bathroom. The room came equipped with a wingback style chair and ottoman plus a desk and standard office chair. Basic remote control on TV with no timer feature. The standard continental breakfast was the morning offering. Bed linens were fresh, clean , odor and stain free. The bed was firm with a pillow top mattress topper added. For a overnight stay, it was fine but would not stay there for extended time period.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
FFIChatt, General Manager at Days Inn Chattanooga/Hamilton Place, responded to this review, November 20, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel based on your recent stay with us. I am happy that you found your guestroom to be extremely clean - we strive to provide a room that is clean and fresh and reflects highest quality standards for all of our guest. While we cannot change the size of our rooms or the size of our bathrooms we can always make sure that the room is clean and ready for our guests when they check-in and I appreciate you sharing your experience.

I also wanted to mention that Fairfield Inn by Marriott is getting ready to launch an update to our current options on our Complimentary Deluxe Continental Breakfast buffet in early 2010 in response to guest feedback requesting new and healthier items. I hope that you will find the new breakfast items to me more enjoyable.

Thank you for your feedback - it is truly invaluable to us.

Sarah Stokes, GM