“Pleasant but small”

Ranked #26 of 96 Hotels in Chattanooga
Nashville, Tennessee
“Pleasant but small”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Desk staff was extremely nice and helpful. Everything was clean and the breakfast was well stocked.

Our 2 double bed room was away from the interstate so no highway noise (might want to request that) but the bathroom had zero counter space. The breakfast area also felt cramped.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I debated for a while to rate this place a 3 or 4. As stated in the previous reviews this is a really old Fairfield Inn but management has made the most of it. The rooms and especially the bathroom are small but they are clean, updated and well maintained. The bed was very comfortable and overall it was a very good value. One comment about the breakfast area, admittedly we were there when it was quite busy but there has to be some way to arrange things so it is less congested. It was almost impossible to navigate. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2011

The hotel is nice and clean. The rooms all enter from the outside of the building - I know this can freak some people out so it's good to share.

There is NO privacy in the bathroom - no fan or anything. Also, the rooms are small so fitting a pack n play in there is tough.

• Stayed November 2011
FFIChatt, General Manager at Days Inn Chattanooga/Hamilton Place, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I wanted to mention that we do have one floor of interior entrance rooms that are available upon request for guest who prefer interior hallways instead of our drive-up rooms/exterior floors. Though these rooms are the same size as our rooms on our exterior floors many guest feel the rooms are larger due to a different layout of the bathroom. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Sarah Stokes, GM
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 8, 2011

As others have noted, this is an original style Fairfield. This means the rooms are smaller and there are outside entrances on the first and second floors. The second floor is also secure - not just the third - as you must use a room card to get on the elevator.

Given that, the management understands this and has priced the rooms appropriately. This makes it a good value if you're not planning to hang out in the room very much. The beds are great and the room was very clean - and I'm fussy. Absolutely up to my standards. The room and the lobby have been updated and I thought they did a nice job on the last update. New LCD TV, chair, desk, etc.

We found the staff to be extra friendly and helpful - I couldn't ask for more. The breakfast had a nice selection and was stocked well, even though there were several teams staying at the hotel.

The area has a lot of dining options very close by and is right off the highway.

I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Third floor are inside entrances. Second floor are outside entrances, but secure as a card is requir...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Alabama
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel is just a place to rest your head. Clean and comfortable but nothing extravagant!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Decatur, AL
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Definitely an older property. No issues with cleanliness or problems with our room, but.... The first two levels of this hotel have outside-entrance rooms, so be sure to specify that you want a third-floor/ interior room if it matters to you. We stayed here on points for one night as a stop-off point for a trip to a B&B in Kingsport. The room we had was tiny; and the bathroom almost too small to turn around in. It had no vanity space and a very narrow shelf with no space for toiletries. The breakfast was about as basic as you can get; waffles and cereal; no fruit (perhaps it was already gone, but none to be found).The elevator is situated in a strange place just inside the first set of doors from the outside. I've stayed in MANY Fairfield Inns and have not seen one situated like this one. It is very convenient to shopping and restaurants, but the location is about all it has going for it. The staff was very pleasant but not enough so to make me want to return. We have stayed at another of the Fairfields in Chattanooga with a much better experience and would definitely choose a different property for a return stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Austell, GA
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I agree with a recent review that this hotel a no frills stay facility. I took the advice offered asked for the 3rd floor to have a room with an entrance as the 1st and 2nd floor rooms have entrances from the outside, and they were able to honor my request.

We had a room with double beds. The room was quite snug but comfortable and clean. There was an armchair and a desk with office chair. No closet, just an area where you can hang your clothes out in the open. There was also a 6-drawer bureau with an HDTV and 4-cup coffee maker. There was also a bedside bureau with a lamp and alarm clock. There was no room for a microwave or small refrigerator (you will need to bring a cooler to keep any cold foods cold). The HDTV offered an assortment of local and basic cable channels and included premium HBO channel. There was free WIFI in the room which my sister used with no complaints. The coffee maker came with self-serve coffee and tea if you wanted to make your own (I got it from downstairs - see below)

The hotel offers a free continental breakfast which includes boiled eggs, hot waffles you make yourself, assortment of hot and cold cereals, bagels, muffins, English muffins, coffee, juice, milk, fruit and yogurt. The offerings also include refrigerated microwaveable items such as mini-quiches, pancake and sausage on a stick, and bacon/egg/cheese biscuits. The hours for the breakfast run 6am - 9am Mon-Fri and 6am-10am on the weekends which means you need to rise early to take advantage of it and to avoid the later crowds. If the offerings don't meet with your approval, there is a Cracker Barrel restaurant within steps of the hotel entrance.

Other plusses: The hotel has a decent sized outdoor pool which wasn't crowded. Coffee and tea are offered in the lobby area which includes an assortment of sweeteners (including Splenda, Equal, and Sweet-n-Low as well as sugar) and creamers (French Vanilla, Hazelnut, Half-n-Half). At around 4pm each day, cookies are available at the front desk. There is also complimentary sunscreen for the pool (individual packets you can grab and go as you need).

The minuses were few but important: I had to request extra soaps and shampoos every day, along with extra towels. I did get them when requested, and the shampoo bottles were thrown out when the shampoos were not even completely used. That is wasteful. Also, there was not a fitness center on the property, but I overheard a guest being told there is an agreement with a place down the street to use their facility.

Another thing that bugged me: I made my hotel reservation online and used my Marriott points rewards number with my RSVP. I was supposed to get the "lowest rate guaranteed" but I am not sure if I did, because I overheard a front desk clerk on the phone speaking to someone who called inquiring about a room, and I heard her tell the caller a double bed room was $82/night when I was charged $89/night for Thursday and Friday night. I asked about that when I checked out, and was told to speak to the manager who was not on duty until later in the day (?) I did call back, and she basically blew me off, saying the rates changed but didn't apply to me, etc. I think that most places would want to accommodate their REWARDS guests in some way or fashion, and so the front desk clerk checking me out should have had the power to make an allowance while I was still there and not referred me to the manager, after I had already left and returned home. That to me is terrible customer service, and makes me wonder if they value my patronage. Because of that one thing, I may or may not return to that property, and I will tell everyone to be wary if they are a rewards customer to call the hotel BEFORE you book online (and get any quotes in writing).

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd Floor room if you want an interior entrance to your room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
FFIChatt, General Manager at Days Inn Chattanooga/Hamilton Place, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel.

I will be sure to speak with the housekeeping department about the soap and shampoo being thrown out each day. When we have a guest with us for more than one night we should be leaving the soaps and shampoo/conditioner bottles for the guest to determine when they are finished with it & should only throw out the items if the bottle is near empty or the soap is almost gone/broke apart. I will make sure that issue is addressed and corrected.

I apologize for the issue with the rate that you explained especially if you felt that I was blowing you off, which was not my intention. During our conversation we were discussing that our rates change from weekday to weekend and from season to season. When I spoke with you on the phone we both agreed that you only heard one side of the conversation so we did not know the situation of that booking, i.e. dates of stay or what discounts that customer was eligible for (AAA, group, corporate, etc). Marriott does offer a best rate guarantee so that whether you book your room online, with the property or through the reservation center you are quoted the best rate available, which for the dates of your stay you were in at our best selling rates. The front desk staff is able to adjust rates for offered discounts but he referred you to me since you were in at our regular rates and weren't asking for a specific discount that we offer. If you are eligible for a discount that you did not receive - AAA, senior or government - please let me know and I will be happy to adjust your stay. We do care about your business as a rewards member and as our guest and I hope that we have not put you off from our hotel because of this.

Thank you for your time and your review of your stay. We hope to see you again if you are back in Chattanooga.

Sarah Stokes, GM