“Not Impressed....”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Gainesville, Georgia
“Not Impressed....”
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I had higher expectations for this property since my husband stays here on business occasionally and other members of my family had recommended it to me after a recent stay.

#1- At check in I asked if there was a side entrance to the building so I didn't have to walk around to the front since I had to park in the back of the side lot. I was trying to avoid having to haul all of our luggage quite so far. The person checking me in said," Hmmmm. I'm not sure. You can look." Really??? What kind of answer is that? Perhaps your employees could be told what a better answer might be.

#2- My reservations included the free breakfast buffet. I was not aware that I should have received "tickets" to give to my server at breakfast. A HUGE thank you to Stephen for handling that for me!! He was very helpful. Went downstairs to the desk and handled it for me. He was tipped well for the effort. Sweet guy! He seemed embarrassed for a $20 tip. He earned it! Too bad the front desk is not as helpful.

#3- Friday night parking is awful. It is downtown. I expect it to be a challenge to find front parking. However...when asking my friend went to ask about parking at around 2AM she was told she could rive around. Note that there is a parking garage behind this property. I am still not clear on whether or not it's an option on the weekends or weeknights. The wording is a bit vague on the sign. Saturday night, I pulled around and saw 2 employees outside getting ready to leave and asked abut the parking garage. One of the guys said he was leaving and to pul around to the regular self-parking lot and take his space. PERFECT! Thank you!! Very helpful. Again the front desk...not so helpful.

#4- The maid service. I know there was a labor dispute going on when we were there. Pickers in the front and all of that. Not sure if that had to do with there inly being 1 maid to clean on the 3rd floor or not. She had not reached our room by 5PM so just told her to forget it and give us some coffee for the room. We did have our "do not disturb" sign out the day before because we didn't need anything. So when we were leaving and she was just getting started knocking on doors at 12:15 kind of hoped it would be done before 5. Maybe if she had help. Not sure. So no maid service for the 3 day trip.
Our room was also VERY dusty. Mystery stains on the sides of the dust ruffle. The mirror over the desk was splattered with something. Candy and wrappers behind the night stand. Not too impressed with cleanliness of the room. It did have a refrigerator and a microwave. If they would dust beside them they might look better. An earring back and greasy Hotel info cards. Gross.

#5- A pleasant surprise on my check out bill!! I wasn't charged to park!! It was supposed to be $8 per day to self park. So that saved me $24. After all of the unhelpful front desk suggestions on the parking situation it was a nice surprise.

There you have it. Will I stay here again? Probably not. If it's the only place I could stay free with loyalty points, then my answer would be yes. Free is good. Not willing to pay for it when I passed about 4 other comparable hotels on the way to this one.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
DoubletreeChatt423, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chattanooga Downtown, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your response about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback very much. We take our guest reviews very seriously, and are now aware of the issues that need attention at our Front Desk and Guest Rooms. We have been working to get these issues corrected, but after seeing your review of our property, our Department Managers have called Staff Meetings within their departments to go over these today. We have already had discussions with our newly hired staff in regards to the standard of service we require them to offer our guests. We are working very hard to get these issue resolved, and are hoping to see improvement from our staff immediately.

Again, I do thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I hope the next time you are in Chattanooga you will try us again. We hope to provide you with a much better overall experience at Doubletree Hotel Chattanooga.

Julia Lowy
HR/Accounting Manager
Doubletree Hotel Chattanooga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We only stayed one night but everything was excellent except one thing that I will mention first. The hotel charges for parking. It was an $8.00 charge. Don't know if they charge by the day or the single reservation. I know some hotels charge more but still, it seemed a bit silly. Other than that, I have no complaints. The hotel was nicely decorated and very clean...from the lobby, to the elevators, to the room itself. The staff was nice and helpful. We were there for a conference and the conference rooms also were nicely decorated and clean. Checking in and out was a breeze. There is a variety of restaurants nearby to fit any budget and many attractions within walking distance. Also, their pool and pool area were very nice although we didn't use the pool.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Extremely clean hotel within a very short walking distance to restaurants and bars. Will definitely stay here again on my next visit.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed February 5, 2011

As a Hilton Diamond member I try to stay at a Hilton brand when on business. My co-worker referred this hotel as he stayed here last year.

The location was right in downtown so it was convenient for me. I could walk to my business and many restaurants.

The hotel is 13 stories high (top floor being the suites). I was on the 12th floor. The rooms are very small....So small that the bathroom door opens out which blocks the front door. I understand accessible rooms have the bathroom door open outward too but this one leaves no room to walk by.

The bathroom (especially the shower..no tub) was very small as well. This goes for the closet as well.

Bed was comfortable. Has Fridge and Microwave (fridge was not cold though). Has restaurant but did not go to.

The room was clean and even though I'm not a fan of dark dark wood...the furniture was not dated and was in good condition.

Many restaurants within 2-3 blocks.

I may try the Hiltion Garden Inn (1 block away) the next time I'm in Chattanooga (downtown).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed January 20, 2011

We stayed here for a holiday weekend and had the best time. The staff is the friendliest we have ever known and they gave us extra cookies. We love the cookies! Walking distance to everything downtown and the free bus takes you anywhere along broad street. We were sad to leave. Thanks doubletree.

• Stayed January 2011
US
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Stayed here last weekend. LOVED EVERYTHING about it. Stayed at Marriott Courtyard last yr, come each yr. for Head of the Hooch. Gorgeous rooms, friendly helpful, courteous staff, inexpensive parking with valet,readily changed us to a King size from 2Q, love the cookies :), easily gave us late checkout at no extra charge and kept our luggage stored until late in the day when we were departing. Convenient to riverfront, couldn't be happier. Best hotel, will return next year without hesitation. Making reservations as soon as permitted. Lobby bathrooms beautiful, upscale. Refrig, MW in room, stall shower- awesome, in shower hand pumps of shampoo, conditioner and soap, magnified makeup mirror. Thank you Doubletree. Will at desk very nice and helpful. Sent someone up to our room to take our things to a different room. Same price as HGI and Courtyard- and much more upscale,

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IlovetheCaribbeannow
Collierville, Tennessee
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Stayed here for three nights. Found the room a little small, but clean. Beds were very comfortable. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful with directions and dining suggestions. Very close to lots of restaurants. Enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends