“Very Beautiful, Historic Inn”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chattanooga
Mayor's Mansion Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Chattanooga B&B and Inns
Delaware
“Very Beautiful, Historic Inn”
Reviewed January 1, 2008

My family in I were in town for the NCAA Division I-A Football Championship. Since we booked at the last minute, the Mayor's Mansion Inn was one of the last places available.

We arrived late in the evening. The person at the front desk was a nearby University of Tennessee college student. She showed us around the hotel, and gave us some cookies to snack on before we went to bed. My husband and son both said the cookies were excellent.

The room was beautiful. It had a large bed. My son had a cot. He is a little big, and he said our bed was much more comfortable than the cot. There was a fireplace in the room, and the furnishings were beautiful. I liked looking at the woodwork in the room. The bathroom was lovely with a big soaking tub.

The previous reviewer freaked me out a little about the bedbug comments. I had read the review after I booked the room. So, I came armed with my picture of how to look for bedbugs. I inspected the room before we went to bed, and found no evidence of bedbugs. We did not stay in the same room as the reviewer.

There was a little street traffic noise, but not enough that we could not get a good night's sleep. We never heard anyone in the hotel while we slept.

Breakfast was EXCELLENT here. There was so much to eat that we had to turn down some of the courses. It varies each day, and a menu is posted the evening before. I especially enjoyed the fruit.

I would definitely stay here again if I came into Chattanooga!

• Liked — The beautiful surroundings
  • Disliked — The cot for my son.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank udalum1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed September 21, 2007

We arrived in Chatanooga without reservations, having driven from Asheville, NC. We found the Mayor's Mansion Inn with a AAA guidebook, and since it had the highest rating, we decided to give it a try. The second we walked in, our three children (ages 18-24) decided that this was where we were staying. It's a fascinating old building with beautiful, high ceilings and lovely woodwork. We stayed in two of the rooms on the second floor. Our room had a really pretty canapy bed and an enormous soaking tub and fireplace.
A previous poster complained about bugs, but we never experienced anything like that. The Inn is spotless, and although we had heard that the South was buggy in the summer months, we never encountered any pest problems of any kind.
Melanie at the front desk was fantastic, not only was she charming and helpful, but she directed us to a great seafood restaurant and fun cafe for dessert on the "Bluffs". Breakfast, which was included in the price, was outstanding. Three courses, fresh fruit, omelet and lemon mousse--all excellent.
The next time we are in Chattanooga, we will definately stay at the Mayors Mansion Inn. Highly recommend the Mayors Mansion Inn!!!!

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank Scotstrack
Florida
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We would agree with all the nice things previous reviewers have said about the Mayor's Mansion - convenient parking, great breakfasts, convenient location, attractive rooms - except for one HUGE PROBLEM! On our drive home to Orlando, my husband began to itch. We discovered his legs were covered with red bites, which we later learned were bed bug bites. Upon arriving home, we called the Mayor's Mansion and very politely told them what had happened and suggested they check the mattress and bedding in the room where we stayed (the Cumberland Suite, Rm #33.) Not only was the girl on the phone unconcerned and unapologetic, she even suggested that we could not possibly have gotten bed bugs from them because no other guests had complained. Well, we stayed nowhere else; my husband had many bites on his feet and he is never ever without his shoes except for in bed and in the shower; and we are certain that we could only have encountered them at the Mayor's Mansion. Perhaps we should have insisted on talking to the owner (whom we never saw as far as we know) because the young girls who work there appear to be students from the nearby college. All we can say is my husband has hundreds of bed bug bites (I luckily escaped with only half a dozen) and someone should investigate this before anyone else stays in Room #33.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Bed Bugs
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
11 Thank AllReadyTaken
Dragonjamm, Manager at Mayor's Mansion Inn, responded to this review, September 8, 2009
The Inn did not have these pests as stated 2 years ago by this traveler. The staff noted, at the time, that these guests had attended an outdoor lawn concert during their stay. Based upon the location and description of the bites, any native Tennessean could tell you they probably got into a "mess of chiggers". The room which they claimed was infested, was closed immediately upon their call and inspected thoroughly. The owner and 2 staff members inspected all parts of the room. Additionally, the room was completely stripped and deep cleaned in an effort to find anything that would cause these bites. Nothing was found at any stage of this process. Today, in 2009, we continue to educate our staff to look for any situation (this type included) that would cause harm or discomfort to our guests.
ny
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Our stay at the Inn was pleasant but we spent almost $230. per night and felt this was excessive for theses accomodations. Our main complaint was the bathroom. Our room had a shower and a tub-not all rooms here have showers. Lighting was poor which made the room dark. The sink was starting to pull away from the wall. The toilet area is separated by cafe doors which do not afford much privacy. The door separating the bathroom from the bedroom did not close properly and the door knob fell off ! The bedroom area was large and had a fireplace,high ceilings and nice furnishings. Again,poor lighting made this room dark.
Hotel staff was very nice. Gourmet breakfast was delicious and more than we could eat. One thing that would have been nice would have been a newspaper delivered to our room each morning. There was one newspaper in the breakfast area for all to share.
Location is great if you are visiting UT. However,you need a car to visit any other local attractions. Beware of all the one way streets which makes getting around confusing. The hotel provides directional cards which are helpful.

• Liked — the home like atmosphere
  • Disliked — the bathroom
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank chappaqua chick
Nashville, TN
Reviewed July 6, 2007

This was our second stay, and the historic inn is still the lovely, first-class place it was when we stayed there previously.

Melanie at the front desk was extremely helpful with our reservation and a delight throughout our stay, making sure we enjoyed all the little extras. The owners are also delightful.

The three-course breakfast is always a special treat. In addition, the Inn provides appetizers before dinner time and then a late-evening dessert for guests to enjoy -- both delicious. Tea, coffee, ice and water were always available.

We stayed in the third-floor French toile room. The bed was very comfortable. If there was any concern on our part, the water did not flow as generously one would expect in the tub, but both my husband and I were able to take decent showers. We figured this might be because the room was on the third floor & possibly many other guests were bathing at the same time. There were plenty of towels. The air conditioning worked very well, and our room was very comfortable on a hot summer day.

The decor of the inn is very tasteful, the facility is extremely clean, and the location is very convenient to many places one would want to visit in Chattanooga. Parking is on the premises, right outside the side door, and very well lighted. The front porch is a nice place for relaxing, too. We felt safe and comfortable at Mayor's Mansion and highly recommend it.

• Liked — Charm, atmosphere, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Extended neighborhood, beyond the immediate block
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MargNashville
Little Rock, AR
Reviewed March 11, 2007

We enjoyed our stay here, the house has been well taken care of and remains true to the time period in which it was built, except for the bathroom fixtures which are up to our modern standards. Nice fluffy towels, bed was good, room clean, breakfast served in the dining room at a private table was a treat. Staff was very very nice, gave us privacy but always available to us downstairs, enjoyed the tour of the mansion. Parking right out front is nice, keep in mind they didn't put elevators in 3 story houses in 1880 - pack light!

• Liked — Historic surroundings
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travelgirl75
Valdosta, Georgia
Reviewed July 29, 2006

This was my first stay at a bed and breakfast. I'm 34 years old and I've traveled extensively. I usually choose luxury hotels or resorts. This purpose of this trip was to have some new experiences for my children. For this reason, we choose to stay at a B&B.

The staff was incredible from the moment we made reservations until the morning we checked out. Upon our request, they made dining reservation for us. They made numerous recommendations for sightseeing. "We're here to help" was their motto.

The rooms were so clean we could have eaten off the floor. The beds were unbelievable comfortable. The Mayor's Mansion location in the city was ideal.

Saving the best for last, the food. The food was the most wonderful I've ever had the opportunity to eat. They only serve breakfast, which is to be expected. It was divine.

We plan to stay at many more B&Bs after this experience

• Liked — The staff, the rooms, the food....how do I decide?
  • Disliked — I loved everything.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family