“Great variety, poor execution”
Review of City Cafe Diner

City Cafe Diner
Ranked #12 of 859 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Description: 24/7 Anything anytime! City Cafe Diner in Chattanooga, Tennessee and Cleveland, Tennessee offers breakfast, lunch and dinner with a choice of 400 different menu items any time of day or night. We feature traditional American fare plus five different varieties of ethnic food, including Chinese, Mexican, Italian, Greek and Mediterranean cuisine. Choose from over 90 home made cakes, cheesecakes, and pies. Our downtown diner provides a full bar and live music. Our other locations provide beer and wine.
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I love the concept of this restaurant, you have wonderful choices, multiple fares of food, & great quantities. The only problem is that every time I have been here I feel as though I am in a cheap motel dining room. Parking is scarce. The staff is friendly enough but too overwhelmed. My or my friends food has been cold & had to be returned 3-4 times I have been here. They really have a great idea, location (if you are walking or riding the shuttle), & offerings of food is great. They are over due a make over & really need to increase staff at busy times. Most over train the cook staff to prepare the food completely.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,411)

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We arrived very late in Chattanooga due to weather delay in NC. We were starved, and their was no restaurant at our hotel. We drove down the street, saw the 24 hour open sign and decided to give it a try. AMAZING! Simple, nothing fancy but the food was very good, the waitress all smiles, and the desserts... well, you wouldn't believe this place could produce such incredable and crazy-awesomeness. We shared a piece of baklava cheesecake, need I say more? Oh, and they serve beer! Obviously a great local hangout, we saw very dressed up older folks, and college kids having a late night meal. Everything, all 350 items on the menu are available 24/7!!

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We went here at around 530 am for breakfast. There were about 15 others there eating also. The menu is large and all of it is served 24 hrs a day. I got the Philly omlet with home fries, husband got a chicken fajita omlet with home fries, and son got steak and gravy with home fries. We also got a side order of corn beef hash. Honestly, all of the food was a little bland and required salt and pepper and hot sauce. The home fries (course chopped potatoes with a scant amount of bell pepper) were under cooked. The corn beef and hash was okay. A plus for some might be the gigantic portion sizes. The saving grace for this place is the ohmygodholyfreaking crap fantastic brownie we got on our way out. That one thing would be worth a trip back all on its own. The desert case was about the best looking thing I've ever seen in my life but unfortunately I forgot to get a photo. Go for desert.... Stay for...... DESERT!!! There's like thirty different pies and cakes and other sweets. Just trust me....

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was skeptical as this is a restaurant in the Days Inn. I was looking for something close to my hotel (Marriott) as it was a very cold night, and I had spent all day traveling. To my surprise, this was a hidden gem. The service was friendly, prompt, and professional. The food was very good, and the portions were HUGE! Wonderful comfort food, far better than diner quality. I wish I had room for desert, as the cakes looked incredible, an elderly couple was in the booth next to me just for the desert. Not gourmet, but some of the best diner food I have had.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

This place is a must on our list every time we visit Chattanooga although eating there too often would be hard on the waistline! The menu and the portions are huge but the food is great if you aren't counting calories, fats, carbs, and sodium very judiciously. Service is always friendly, fast and efficient. Be sure to save room for an enormous slice of any of the large assortment of fantastic specialty cakes. This is not a dressy place . . . . just come as you are . . . to enjoy the fifties style decor and food.