“Huge portions, low price, great service, pretty good food...but no greasy spoon!”
Review of City Cafe Diner

City Cafe Diner
Ranked #14 of 836 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Description: 24/7 Anything anytime! City Cafe Diner in Chattanooga, Tennessee and Cleveland, Tennessee offers breakfast, lunch and dinner with a choice of 400 different menu items any time of day or night. We feature traditional American fare plus five different varieties of ethnic food, including Chinese, Mexican, Italian, Greek and Mediterranean cuisine. Choose from over 90 home made cakes, cheesecakes, and pies. Our downtown diner provides a full bar and live music. Our other locations provide beer and wine.
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Before you order, a warning -- you will need a doggie bag. Portions here are enormous. Unless you consistently eat a pile of food bigger than your head, you will not be able to finish it at this restaurant within a normal dining time. Service is very attentive and friendly...your drink will never be empty, and the waitstaff anticipate what you'll need, without hovering (probably because they have so many other customers). And service is quick. You seldom have to wait more than ten minutes after ordering from the packed menu before your food arrives. The first time I dined here, before I knew about the portion size, I ordered a vegetable soup starter, house salad, and the Greek lemon chicken. EACH of those were large enough to feed an army; the large bowl of vegetable soup tasted homemade, and the overflowing platter of half a succulent chicken was just tart enough, with vegetables al dente. The house salad had two hard boiled eggs, bacon, a quartered tomato, red onion, cucumber, and probably half a head of iceberg lettuce, with a cup of dressing on the side. The salad, however large, was not quite up to the quality of the soup and lemon chicken. I did not then, nor have I since, been able to order dessert. Clientele is a mix of locals, travelers from the adjoining motel, and Chattanooga business people who are there mainly at lunchtime Tho there's lots of neon & chrome, this is not a "diner diner", but it is a darn good restaurant.

• Visited November 2012

“Love their breakfast!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I both enjoyed the banana nut pancakes but we got them without the whipped topping. We've been fortunate enough not to have much of a wait on any of the occasions we've eaten there and the service is great.

Sacramento, CA
“Good diner for the "real folks" out there”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

If you are looking for a laid-back, "greasy spoon" diner in downtown Chattanooga, this is the place. The menu is preposterously large (in a good way) and the food's always been good when I've gone. The wait staff is friendly (they seem to know I need a soda refill before I do!) and like a good blue collar diner, often talk to you like a friend, not a customer. I've never had dinner-oriented food there as I usually get breakfast fare, but it's definitely good. They have a huge dessert selection as well, although I am usually stuffed before dessert time.

• Visited July 2012
“Fantastic”
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Great experience! Friendly atmosphere! We will definitely come back in our next trip to Chattanooga.:)

Nashville, Tennessee
“A Real Diner in Tennessee”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

As someone who has spent most of his life in Tennessee and the South, but who spent a couple of years in the New Jersey / New York City area, I often am challenged to explain what a real diner is.

Don't get me wrong, in the South we have great "Meat & Three" joints which are good for home-cooked meals, but that's a completely different animal. Then there are the bogus imitation diner chains you run into in vacation spots.

City Cafe is the real deal in my book, as evidenced by:
An extensive menu that includes many many options
A strong breakfast menu
An in-house bakery and eye-popping desserts on display

Open 24/7 and providing a 10% discount to Days Inn Rivergate guests, the food and service is great and they are happy to make it "to go" so you can eat in your room.

Prices are reasonable and portions generous.

Visited November 2012