“It's 10pm in Chattanooga and you are HUNGRY.”
Review of City Cafe Diner

City Cafe Diner
Ranked #15 of 847 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Description: 24/7 Anything anytime! City Cafe Diner in Chattanooga, Tennessee and Cleveland, Tennessee offers breakfast, lunch and dinner with a choice of 400 different menu items any time of day or night. We feature traditional American fare plus five different varieties of ethnic food, including Chinese, Mexican, Italian, Greek and Mediterranean cuisine. Choose from over 90 home made cakes, cheesecakes, and pies. Our downtown diner provides a full bar and live music. Our other locations provide beer and wine.
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is not your typical hotel/motel restaurant. Catering to the locals, this Days Inn restaurant is your fix for giant slices of cake, platters of meat and potato dishes and breakfast served all day.
My husband and I recently ate at the City Cafe Diner as it was the only kitchen open after 10pm on a Saturday night. One block walking distance from The Read House (our hotel), we entered this busy, brightly lit diner to find a host with a tie and a clip board efficiently taking names and showing new guests to the Days Inn lobby through a plain -almost institutional -door located in the middle of the diner.
Upon review of the extensive menu, it is evident there is a Denny's approach to "offering it all". However there is a neat little section entitled Greek Entrees which included more than a handful of Greek plates. Included is Moussaka, something you hardly ever see. As the dish is a labour of love to make, I had to try it for myself. My husband had a gyro. We were both very surprised at the portions on our plates complete with a very green side salad (no ice berg lettuce) and very fresh pita triangles.
My moussaka was good. While made with potato's and not full of nutmeg and tomato sauce. The portion ways HUGE. I immediately thought this would taste even better if I had quite a bit to drink before.
Service was efficient and friendly-what you want in a diner. Staff appeared to know their locals.
As we were paying at the register (front door where you enter) the baked goods section became more visible (the line for the register builds in front of it). The cakes were the size of a human head.
Will go back most definitely.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Best selection of tasty, delicious and unusual cakes and pies, portions of cake that are jumbo, like getting 2 pieces at the Cheescake factory

Reviewed September 17, 2012

With their wide variety of choices and generous portions every member in the family can find something that they like. I have been to City Cafe three times with my best friend when visiting Chattanooga. My mouth waters just thinking about the rotating cake display! The next time I make a stop in Chattanooga I will be sure to go back to City Cafe. The atmosphere is casual, the pricing is right, and the food is fabulous.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I had dined at the City Cafe years ago and remembered their awesome desserts. So, after dinner my husband and I walked from our hotel to get dessert. When you walk in, you are greeted with their cakes. We asked our server for her recommendation and we shared a slice of the red velvet cake. It looked great, but tasted kind of bland. I expected rich cream cheese frosting. Also, it was still partially frozen.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The City Cafe is open 24 hours and is known for it's huge servings of food and display cases full of tempting deserts! Many people split a dish because of it's size; a lot of others leave with "to-go" boxes. Even breakfast omlets will fill you up!

Days Inn guests get a 10% discount, but we found out that it didn't work for drinks or deserts we picked up to go. Our waitress to the time to ask us if we were guests and wrote our room number on the check. The one at the register paid no attention and they would not adjust the charge. That was my only complaint.