“Troop 1111 Enjoys the Caverns Again!”

Raccoon Mountain Caverns
Ranked #4 of 149 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: Raccoon Mountain Caverns is located just 1.3 miles off of I-24 at the Lookout Valley exit (#174), and is less than ten minutes from downtown Chattanooga. Visitors are presented with a cave in its natural state and our 45-minute (+/-) Crystal Palace Walking Tour allows them to view thousands of diverse formations - stalagtites, stalagmites, delicate soda straws, flowstone, rimstone pools, draperies, columns, natural bridges, and a rare shield formation. We also offer a variety of wild cave "spelunking" expeditions for those who want to view beyond the lighted pathways and explore deeper into the mountain. Our Waterfall Dome expedition permits visitors to view the areas tallest underground, natural (unassisted) flowing waterfall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Athens, Georgia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Troop 1111 Enjoys the Caverns Again!”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our Boy Scout troop returned to the cave this past weekend and did the four hour wild cave trip with the overnight in the cave as well. Last time, we camped but this time, we enjoyed the stay in the cave. Our guide, Chris did a great job and the boys and adults had a great time. The cave staff ar professional and it isn't gaudy or commercialized like lots of caves are. You get to learn a lot and experience a real cave in a relatively natural state. I'd recommend the overnight program to any scout group with a sense of adventure.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Randy S
Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you very much for bringing your scouts back for another adventure and for taking the time to share your comments. I passed your comments along to Chris and he was glad to hear that your group enjoyed their tour. As you probably noticed, we take caving very seriously and want to offer our guests a true, authentic caving adventure. I hope that your troop will consider another return visit in the future. Thanks again for the return visit.

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great trip for Scouts”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Our Boy Scout troop spent the night and did the four hour wild tour. Great trip with great tour guides. They make it interesting and educational. Our boys also completed the requrements for two merit badges - the instructors kept the boys engaged and insured that the boys understood the lessons. I definitely reccomend this to all!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Poopdaddy
Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for bringing your troop to do an overnight expedition. It does sound as though both you and your boys had a great time, and I am always glad to hear that. We take our responsibilities, both with caving and as instructors for approved badges very seriously. It sounds as though the badge instructors did a good job as well and that the boys learned the relevant material. I appreciate your visit and hope that you will consider a return visit with your troop for another expedition in the future. Thanks again for your visit!
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A great adventure”
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

I took my 10 yr old daughter here on a "Daddy-daughter date" and we had a blast! We did the 4 hour Wild Cave tour. Lots of adventure, sliding and crawling. We got lucky and it was just the 2 of us in our group- so we had the full attention of our guide.
I highly recommend it for those who are on the fit side and love adventure

2 Thank Cvilletrvlrs
Thank you very much for visiting and for going on the four hour (Echo Room) Wild Cave Expedition. It sounds as so though you and your daughter had a wonderful time, and I am certainly glad to hear that. You might have noticed during the tour that caving is an exceptional bonding activity as each person helps each other past the various obstacles throughout the cave. Thanks again for visiting and I hope that you will consider a return visit for another adventure.
orlando
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Worth a quick pit stop”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I read all the bad reviews on this site. But with a dead day before heading home we decided to give the carvern a shot.

Unlike some other nearby attractions, Raccoon Carverns does not contain loud music, light shows, robotic tour guides or fireworks.

Our guide (Payton) led us through a tastefully lighted cavern while giving us some history on the area.

That's it----plain & simple.

As a resident of the "vacation capital of the world" (Orlando), it's nice to find a down home, unspoiled attraction that hasn't sold out to some predatory real estate developer.

Long Live Raccoon Caverns !!!!!!!!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank otownrob
Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to visit and share your comments. I will admit to being somewhat taken by surprise by your comment about bad reviews because 91% of Trip Advisor reviews list us as being either excellent or very good.

Our cave is filled with so many awesome (and 100% natural) formations that we do not see the need for the distracting light and sound shows and robotic guides that you mention. We still do it the old way and let the guides speak and relate their knowledge of the cave, its history, and its geology. It is nice to know that our work is noticed and appreciated.

I passed your comments along to Payton and he was very appreciative of them and wanted me to thank you for taking the time to make us a part of your visit to the Chattanooga area.

Have no fears about any big developers swallowing us because the folks that own the cave are committed to preserving the unique treasures that exist within the delicate eco-system of the cave. Thanks again for visiting and I hope that you will consider stopping in for another visit the next time that you are in the Chattanooga area.
Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Worth your time to take a look.”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

There are two types of tours. The one for me was the standing upright (most of the time) standard cave tour. We had a very nice young man named Kylend to lead our group. I really hope I spelled that right. It was a small group of only four people, so we were able to ask questions and stop and take pictures when we wanted. He was able to answer all our questions and pointed out a lot of things I would not have noticed without his help. It was a short tour but we saw some very interesting formations. The other tours are called "wild tours" and require wearing gloves and kneepads and crawling through small openings and getting wet and dirty. Apparently these tours are very popular and require reservations. We saw some people just beginning their wild tour and the group included a child probably 10 years old, so it may not be too strenuous. They even offer tours where you go on the wild tour and then spend the night sleeping in the cave. But I was happy with the standard tour. All the staff were friendly and helpful. I even went back the next day to get something from the gift shop. It is just a short drive from Chattanooga and easy to find.

Visited December 2013
Thank you very much for visiting and for taking the time to post your comments. I spoke with Kylend (yes, you spelled his name correctly) and passed along your comments. He wanted me to pass along his "thanks" for your visiting our cave. Kylend is certified to do both the Crystal Palace Walking Tour which you took and most of our Wild Cave Expeditions.

I understand that some caves now have the guides lead you through the cave while playing pre-recorded messages. We still like to give "old style" tours where the guide still speaks and can share and relate their knowledge of the cave along with the items and formations that interest them the most or which they find to be unusual. Our cave is awesome in that the pathway is circular so you can see new and diverse formations literally around every corner.

I really appreciate your taking the time to visit our cave and to see the delicate eco-system that exists under our mountain. Thanks again for your visit and I hope that you will be able to visit again when your travels bring you this way.