“Awesome! You HAVE to do this cave!!”

Raccoon Mountain Caverns
Ranked #4 of 148 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: Raccoon Mountain Caverns is located just 1.3 miles off of I-24 at the Lookout Valley exit (#174), and is less than ten minutes from downtown Chattanooga. Visitors are presented with a cave in its natural state and our 45-minute (+/-) Crystal Palace Walking Tour allows them to view thousands of diverse formations - stalagtites, stalagmites, delicate soda straws, flowstone, rimstone pools, draperies, columns, natural bridges, and a rare shield formation. We also offer a variety of wild cave "spelunking" expeditions for those who want to view beyond the lighted pathways and explore deeper into the mountain. Our Waterfall Dome expedition permits visitors to view the areas tallest underground, natural (unassisted) flowing waterfall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome! You HAVE to do this cave!!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My BF and I (40/36) wanted some adventure! And boy did we get some! Our guide Kyle was great! We went on a Friday at 2pm and we were the only on our group, which made the experience even better! We booked the echo room adventure but I'm sure Kyle went out of his way to make it exciting for us, and showed us a lot more!! the water falls inside the cave were incredible ( thanks to the huge storm from the night before!)
We climbed, slide our butts, dragged, crawled.. Geshh!! You name it! We are both average size and we were able to fit through a lot of the small spaces.
I was wearing old tennis shoes and did good! Kyle the guide was wearing rain boots and I think that's the way to go! We also went through some areas were we had to get our feet wet, so boots would have been great!
Overall it was a great experience!! PLS do this cave! We had an awesome time.. We stayed at the campground in cabin #3, which I think was the most private of all! Great location facing a mountain and extremely clean!!
Thanks!! Kyle ; ) and Racoon mountain for a wonderful wkd!

1 Thank Jocytrips
Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you very much for visiting our cave and for staying in one of our cabins. I spoke to Kyle after I read your review and thanked him for doing a great job. Our waterfalls are 100% natural flow as we do not use any pumps to enhance water flow. That means that after it rains, the waterfalls can be thundering while at other times (such as during droughts) that can slow to less than a trickle. I am glad that you enjoyed your tour and stay and hope that you will return in the future to go on another expedition.

Georgetown, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Raccoon Cavern worth a stop”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

It is a cave, so dress appropriately. I do have to say that the guide was knowledgeable and the experience was well worth the price and the time invested. It took about an hour for us to arrive, buy tickets, and take the tour. The interior of the cave is striking and fascinating. Good for just about all ages from 6 up

Visited April 2013
Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking time out of your schedule to visit our cave while you were in the Chattanooga area. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the tour. Obviously, I am somewhat biased, but we do have an exceptional cave and it is amazing that a cave this large and with numerous rare and endangered species, can be less then ten minutes from the downtown area. Thanks again for visisting!
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Awesome time”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I had a great time doing this! We even had our 9 year old nephew with us and he loved it. We requested Corey as our guide ( my husband had gone before and thought he was great). The facility is amazing and our guide, Corey, was thorough, fun, and careful. I highly recommend the caves.

Visited March 2013
Thank you very much for the return visit. We frequently have people who return for longer tours with the same group or they bring friends in order to experience the adventure all over again. Caving is a great family sport because of the way in which everyone helps one another throughout the tour. I spoke to Corey today and thanked him for doing such a great job. Naturally, he was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the tour and hoped that you will be able to return in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great spelunking for the family”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our family (2 parents, kids ages 10, 8, and 8) had a great time doing the Waterfall Dome Tour. With the 5 of us, the tour took a little over 3 hours. We had a great time slithering through small spaces, tromping through mud, and sliding down rocks. The kids were barely tall enough (at about 52-53") to make it through some of the obstacles (the Canyon was particularly tough for 2 of them). I think this also depends on the temperament of the kid - one of ours is more of a go getter, and she did fine with everything. Our other two are more cautious, and we heard a fair amount of, "No! I can't do it! I want to go back!" but they always made it through with the expert guidance (and infinite patience) of our guide, Payton. He was really great with the kids and an excellent guide. Highly recommended. We definitely got super muddy and needed a change of clothes and a quick shower right after.

1 Thank MRKutz
Thanks for taking the time to visit our cave and for sharing your comments with others. I spoke with Payton today and thanked him once again for doing a great job. Payton, is indeed great with younger kids and provides them with the appropriate encouragement to overcome obstacles such as the Canyon Passage. This tends to build self-confidence and self-esteem and this is one of the best aspects of caving. Thanks again for visiting and for sharing your comments. I hope that you will be able to return in the future for another wild cave adventure.
Fairburn, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“great cave tour!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We opted for Raccoon Caverns rather than the other more over priced cabe tours. So glad that we did. Our tour guide Natalie was so informative and we had a great time asking questions and learning. Would definitely do the tours again!

Visited April 2013
Thank you very much for visiting our cave on the Crystal Palace Walking Tour. Natalea is quite knowledgeable about the the cave, its geology, and history. I mentioned your tour when I last spoke to her and thanked her for doing a good job on the tour. Our wild cave expeditions are indeed priced a bit higher than the walking tour and the price depends on the tour along with the number of people on the tour. We strive to offer these tours at the lowest possible price and that is why we give discounts as the number of people on the tour increases. We also provide the gear (pads, lights, gloves, batteries, helmets, etc) and there is a significant amount of work involved in cleaning, maintaining, and testing the gear. Knee pads and gloves wear out and are constantly being replaced. Consequently, wild cave tours cost a few dollars more than the walking tour but we believe that they are offered at a great price and especially when compared to tours of similar length in other parts of the country.