“Had an awesome time!”

Raccoon Mountain Caverns
Ranked #4 of 153 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: Raccoon Mountain Caverns is located just 1.3 miles off of I-24 at the Lookout Valley exit (#174), and is less than ten minutes from downtown Chattanooga. Visitors are presented with a cave in its natural state and our 45-minute (+/-) Crystal Palace Walking Tour allows them to view thousands of diverse formations - stalagtites, stalagmites, delicate soda straws, flowstone, rimstone pools, draperies, columns, natural bridges, and a rare shield formation. We also offer a variety of wild cave "spelunking" expeditions for those who want to view beyond the lighted pathways and explore deeper into the mountain. Our Waterfall Dome expedition permits visitors to view the areas tallest underground, natural (unassisted) flowing waterfall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We have been to many caverns throughout the region. We came to Raccoon Mountain for the reviews. We decided to do a last minute 6 hour cave tour instead of the 1 hour standard cavern tour. Staff made a few phone calls to get us a tour guide for the next day (you have to schedule in advance). Jason, our tour guide came on his day off (thank you)! On the tour it was Jason, myself, and my 2 daughters (18 and 11). We had the BEST time with Jason, our tour guide. We crawled through holes, slid down rocks, and walked in flowing shallow water. Be ready to get dirty! He made our tour so adventurous and wanting more! Jason was friendly, educational, and very informative about the caves. He really knew his material and was very patient and safe with us. Jason is an expert tour guide! I can't wait for another visit!

2  Thank Vmotes
Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thanks taking one of our wild cave expeditions that explore the inner portions of the cave system. I believe that Jerry was your guide and you are correct that he is a very good guide with extensive knowledge of the cave system. He is a Senior Guide and has been both exploring this cave and providing tours for quite a few years. I am glad that you enjoyed the tour so much that you are already contemplating a return visit. Thanks again for your comments!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

There are several options at these caverns, from the average walking tour to wild cave tours and overnights in the caves. Price was good, tour guide was very informative and friendly, caves were more open and we could hear the sounds of the cave 'breathing'. I would absolutely return here and recommend to others, especially with children.

1  Thank meegan1

Thank you very much for your comments and I am delighted that you enjoyed your tour. We have a beautiful cave and we strive to maintain it in its natural condition. The "breathing" is quite obvious this time of year as the outside temperatures are lower than inside the cave. The cave "breathes" in the colder air, warms it up as it passes the mles of cave passageway, then shoots it out the higher openings as warm, sixty-degree air. Like an electirc heat pump, the cycle reverses when the outside temperatures are warmer than the cave (in the summer), Then, the cave "breathes" in the hot outside air through the upper vents, pulls it past the miles of cave passageway, and ejects it through the lower openings. If you visit on a hot summer day, you can feel the breeze of cool, sixty-degree air flowing out of the cave.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

The cave is incredible. I loved every part, but I don't think I will ever turn. The reason is some places are clausterphobic, and I'm I don't like clausterphobic places.

Don't let this review scare you away, because the cave is very cool. Definitely a place I would visit.

Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Thanks very much for visiting our cave. We are very proud of our cave and throughly agree with you that it is incredible! We strive to maintain it in its natural state because we want to present a natural cave complete with living (growing) formations and an intact eco-system. It is our opinion that, when you have so many beautiful, 100% natural and diverse cave formations that you do not need any of the laser light shows, projection TV's., recorded messages, concession stands, etc. that are found at other caves. Thanks again for visiting and for your comments.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

If you're looking for a VERY cool way to take a break from the cold (or the heat!), the Raccoon Mountain Caverns make for a really incredible day trip.

We took the Echo Room tour with Corey, and it was challenging, a little scary, but totally fun. It's the kind of trip that pushes you outside of your comfort zone in a really safe way, and the scenery is amazing. It's like being a completely different planet.

Corey is a fantastic guide who is both very knowledgeable about the cave systems, and also encouraging when it comes to pushing yourself to really get the best experience.

It's a great value and a great time. I'm going back, and I'm bringing friends with us next time!

2  Thank davismadams

Thank you very much for your comments and I am certainly glad that you enjoyed your tour. I shared your comments with Corey and he was also quite pleased to hear them. Caving is a great activity and the layout of our cave with numerous interconnecting passageways allows the guides to customize the tour too an extent based upon how everyone is handling the various areas within the cave. The Echo Room Expedition (~ 4 hr) which you mentioned is probably our most popular. The Waterfall Dome Expedition (~ 4 1/2 hrs) accompishes everything on the Echo Room Expedition plus a short detour into the Waterfall Dome. As you may have noticed, our cave is completely natural so the waterfall can vary from a tiny trickle in times of drought to a thundering waterfall after heavy rain. The Gypsum Flower Expedition ( ~6 hr) allows you to do everything on the Echo Room tour along with an extra loop that has a long belly crawl. Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

As a Christmas gift I got my partner tickets to the wild cave expedition. We are both claustrophobic and I wanted to push us both out of our comforts zones while still having fun.

When we got there we met our guide, Corey. He was fantastic. We actually were the only two in the group so we were excited to have scored a "private tour". Corey was knowledgeable and we asked him to push us out of our comfort zone.

We did the echo room tour. It was priced great. There were canyons we walked over and small holes we had to go through. Corey was more than accommodating to help us through the small squeezes.

Overall, we have memories that will last a lifetime.

3  Thank neveradullmoment87
Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you very much for your comments which I will be sure to share with Corey when I see him. It also sounds as though you thoroughly enjoyed your tour. As you discovered, our guides are highly skilled in caving and are there both to guide and assist you. Thanks again for going caving with us!