“Wild Cave Tour is worth the money”

Raccoon Mountain Caverns
Ranked #4 of 149 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: Raccoon Mountain Caverns is located just 1.3 miles off of I-24 at the Lookout Valley exit (#174), and is less than ten minutes from downtown Chattanooga. Visitors are presented with a cave in its natural state and our 45-minute (+/-) Crystal Palace Walking Tour allows them to view thousands of diverse formations - stalagtites, stalagmites, delicate soda straws, flowstone, rimstone pools, draperies, columns, natural bridges, and a rare shield formation. We also offer a variety of wild cave "spelunking" expeditions for those who want to view beyond the lighted pathways and explore deeper into the mountain. Our Waterfall Dome expedition permits visitors to view the areas tallest underground, natural (unassisted) flowing waterfall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Birmingham, Alabama
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wild Cave Tour is worth the money”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

On a great weekend trip to Chattanooga, this tour was the highlight of our trip.

Chris was a great guide. He was very knowledgable about the contents and history of the cave, and gave us plenty of time to explore.

We did the 4 hr tour and I would not recommend going any shorter.

It is a full body workout! We were beat up and muddy when we came out....and it was awesome

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jbrasher1
Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
I was glad to hear that your cave trip was the highlight of your trip to Chattanooga. I saw Chris yesterday and shared your comments with him. He was very appreciative and wanted me to thank you once again for visiting our cave.

Houston, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Awesome Adventure!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Background:
My family and I did a road trip from Houston, TX to Niagara Falls, Canada this summer. The trip was 12 days long. My daughter was 13 and my son 10.
We booked our cabin well in advance. We originally had booked the Excursion and then you get to campout inside the cave after you’re done. The start time of the cave excursion was perfect timing as we were driving in from Washington DC that morning, but a few weeks before the trip, we decided to cancel the camp as we though it may be a bad idea to have to sleep full of mud.
We ended up switching our sleep arrangements to a cabin instead.
Thankfully the coordinator, Rebecca, allowed us to keep the late cave excursion since we were driving in from DC.

So we checked in around 6 pm and quickly changed into some old clothing as our tour excursion began at 7 pm. We were doing the 4 hour excursion that you get to climb, slide, etc through the entire cave.
It was just my family of 4 and the tour guide. It was such an awesome experience!!!
Out of our entire road trip (went to St Louis, Niagara Falls, Canada, NYC, Hershey Park, DC and others) this was considered our favorite hands down.

It was pretty hard and I actually thought to myself at the beginning “Oh my… what have I gotten my family into this time…”!!! This was such an awesome family bonding time. My kids are constantly picking on each other and it was such a wonderful feeling to see them help each other trying to climb those rocks.

I do not recommend this to anyone that is claustrophobic though.
But highly recommend to families with older kids.

Our excursion took the entire 4 hours as they had said.
We did not make it out until 11 pm and thankfully we had our own flashlights as our walk to the cabin was pitch dark.

We quickly took nice hot showers and headed out to Waffle House for a nice big meal as we were all starving afterwards!

We really paid for it the next day – our entire bodies felt like we had been hit by a train, but when we looked at our pictures, we knew it was all worth it!!!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Jessica R
Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I wanted to thank you for taking the four hour wild cave expedition and for staying in one of our cabins. Caving is an exceptional bonding experience because it is a sport in which there is no race to the finish line. Rather, everyone helps each other as they navigate through the cave passageways. It also helps build confidence and self-esteem as each obstacle (be it a tight crawl, climb, slide, etc) is successfully accomplished. Thanks again for your comments and I was certainly glad to hear that our cave was the highlight of your trip.
Memphis, Tennessee
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Not a Tourist Trap”
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I read the reviews and decided to stop on the way in to Chattanooga. It was a certainly worth the time. We did the 45 minute tour (the shortest one available). Payton (who did a great job) was our guide and you could tell that he was passionate about caves. We were the only two guests on that tour, so we had plenty of time to see the sights, which included a few cave creatures. As we were getting ready to leave, we saw a large group of kids coming out of the 4 hour tour. They were covered in dirt from head to toe, but it seems like they had a great time. We will definitely be coming back and bringing our boys back for the "real" tour.

Suggestion: We bought our tickets on line on the way to the cave and saved $3 each. Use the savings in the very reasonably priced gift shop.

Robert P, General Manager at Raccoon Mountain Caverns, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you very much for visiting our cave and your comments, which I passed along to Payton. He indeed loves caves, having explored many in the area with his older brothers. We work hard to maintain the cave in its natural state so you can glimpse some of the life that exists within the cave. I also appreciate your comments about our gift shop as our buyers work hard to find quality items that we offer at extremely reasonable prices. I am glad that you enjoyed your tour and hope that you are able to return for a wild cave expedition.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Always an adventure”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The guided tours, especially the over nighters. There is much to see in the underground world and plenty of climbs and crawls to attempt.

Thank you very much for your comments, which I shared with Michael. He wanted me to relay that he was thankful for your comments and for the opportunity to guide your tour. Our cave has an abundance of interconnecting passageways and that makes it easy to customize tours. We tend to highlight the areas that most guests mention (sandpaper slide, canyon, Echo Room, etc) but, as you mentioned, there is so much more to be seen inside our cave. Thanks very much for taking the time to visit and I am glad that you enjoyed your wild cave expedition.
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Far better than expected!”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I were staying in Ellijay, GA and decided to make the 2 hour drive to Chattanooga to do some caving. We went on the 4.5 hour waterfall dome tour with Michael as our guide. So exciting! Since it was just my wife and I, Michael was able to make the tour much more personal...going off trail a bit when I asked to and answering all of our questions. My wife was a bit fearful of the tiny squeezes...but she made it just fine and we had a blast. The Sandpaper Slide was quite a rush too and there are so many more exciting points on the tour than advertised. Probably 10-12 tight squeezes (some smaller than the 49 cent squeeze) and 6-10 other exciting crawls, slides, big rooms, etc. DEFINITELY worth the money and worth the t-shirt. :) Thanks again, Michael!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Brody P
I am certainly glad that you enjoyed your wild cave adventure with Michael. I passed your comments along to him and he was very appreciative of them. Naturally, I am very proud of our cave guides and their love of caving. Thanks again for your comments and I hope that you will consider returning for another on your next visit to Chattanooga.