“drove out of our way to see this, worth the trip!!!”

Raccoon Mountain Caverns
Ranked #4 of 148 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: Raccoon Mountain Caverns is located just 1.3 miles off of I-24 at the Lookout Valley exit (#174), and is less than ten minutes from downtown Chattanooga. Visitors are presented with a cave in its natural state and our 45-minute (+/-) Crystal Palace Walking Tour allows them to view thousands of diverse formations - stalagtites, stalagmites, delicate soda straws, flowstone, rimstone pools, draperies, columns, natural bridges, and a rare shield formation. We also offer a variety of wild cave "spelunking" expeditions for those who want to view beyond the lighted pathways and explore deeper into the mountain. Our Waterfall Dome expedition permits visitors to view the areas tallest underground, natural (unassisted) flowing waterfall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
atlanta
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“drove out of our way to see this, worth the trip!!!”
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor for weeks and so we decided to stop here on our way home from Gatlinburg to Atlanta... it was not too far out of the way. When you pull up it looks nothing like all of the junk and tourist traps places around Ruby Falls... nothing too it really, a rinky gift shop and the caverns... We paid our money 13.95 each for the Crystal place walking tour, it was me my husband our teen girls and another couple with their two smaller kids.. our tour guide, Michael was probably the same age as my oldest daughter and still in high school.. but he was very polite, and took his time with us and answered as many of my questions as he knew the answer too.. The Cavern is really pretty and I was impressed with how they have done nothing "corny or silly" to this nautral formation.. I thought it was worth the money and our time, quite amazing actually. I have seen several caves in the south and the one in Florida this is really nice. There are other parts to the caverns, they actually go very deep but those tours require some very tight spaces and crawling on your belly... as well as a reservation... We are planning to come back and do that.. we saw a group come out of the side of the mountain as we were leaving.. mostly women muddy with big smiles i asked how was it, she was truly speechless and said it was great!! I think my only regret was it seemed the only person who could answer alot of my questions was a lady who was no where to be found, and when we asked if there was a map or brouchure with a history or info about the caverns they had nothing really to offer..... still worth the trip, we will be back

Visited April 2011
7 Thank cinibun2

Atlanta
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“awesome expedition”
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We went on the echo room expedition and had a great time. Expect to get muddy, but also have fun the entire time. It goes way beyond the "walk through the cave" type tour. This is a must do when in Chattanooga!

Visited March 2011
1 Thank beanery1979
Avery County NC
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Nice place, nice people”
Reviewed March 1, 2011

we arrived early and were the only people on our tour. We had a great time.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank strollingbonez
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great trip.”
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Everything was great. The guides knew what they were doing. The most fun part of the cave is the 49-cent squeeze. It's basically this 15"x15"x15" triangle in the wall that you have to dive through. I definately want to go again. Only one thing: the lights on the helmets could be brighter. You can see where you are going just fine but taking a picture is the only way to know what else there is. Oh, btw, avoid the bottomless pit on the left! Lol jk ;)

2 Thank GotoThisPlace
Chattanooga, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Better formations and less crowd than Ruby Falls”
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I am from this area, but I had never even heard of Raccoon Mountain Caverns until recently when my wife found it on tripadvisor.

We took some of our family on the crystal palace walking tour, and it was a great experience. The crystal palace room is very impressive. The formations seemed much more impressive than Ruby Falls and other caves I've been into in the area. It was also a less commercialized attraction with fewer people, which made it a pleasant experience.

The walking tour is not strenuous, however, there are stairs, some damp and uneven pathways, and a few low clearances for tall individuals. There are no tight squeezes on the walking tour.

We went on a rainy day, and there was water dripping into the cave. I got dripped on a few times, but was able to avoid most of it. It was also 60F in the cave. I was glad I had on a light rain jacket.

We will definitely go back, and my wife and I are considering doing one of the "wild cave" tours. We hope you enjoy Raccoon Mountain Caverns as much as we did.

Visited January 2011