“A zoo is a zoo is a zoo...”
Review of Chattanooga Zoo

Chattanooga Zoo
Ranked #14 of 148 things to do in Chattanooga
More attraction details
Owner description: Imagine a zoo that's specially designed to bring the animals up close to you. Imagine a zoo where you have time to notice the subtleties of animal behavior, instead of being pushed along by an impatient crowd. Imagine an exciting and diverse zoo that's still easy to navigate with strollers...or little legs. That's the new Chattanooga Zoo!
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A zoo is a zoo is a zoo...”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a pretty small zoo compared to other cities, and I think that really kinda shows here. We went late in the day on a Monday, I think two hours before they closed, so we were only there with about a handful of other families. We knew something was peculiar right off the bat when we received half off our admission with my husbands military i.d. I mean, yes, that's great, but usually bigger zoo's only do a dollar or two off. So either this was the best deal in the history of mankind or something was up.

I have a hard time visiting zoo's at all because being in them is a little more than depressing seeing the animals cooped up in sometimes cramped cages or stalls. This place was sadly no exception. The animals looked restless as ever, pacing back and forth, tiring a path into the ground where you could see it had been over several months or years' worth of wear. Not all of the animals were like this, but I felt a collective unease here with the animals. Particularly the panthers and the coyotes as I remember. And there was a large bird in one area that had a constant blasting of a "jungle-esque" type music track playing over and over again. I was annoyed after only two minutes of hearing it. That poor bird probably has to hear it all day!

Not all of the zoo is bad I suppose but the vibes I got off the larger animals was unpleasant. I don't remember exactly why animals pace but I know why humans pace, and it's never because they're calm and happy. I hate to see things like this. I can't say for sure whether there is anything fishy going on here for certain, but the animals' behavior seems to speak volumes to me and it's saying, "Get me out of here!"

I wish my review could be happier but unfortunately it's not. I feel for the animals in their confined spaces, whether for their own good of conservation, or not. I don't feel it's right. Wild animals don't belong in zoo's for man's entertainment. I can only hope the money I paid is actually going toward their care and happiness, and that the animals will know peace one day, as well we freedom.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Adventurer L

Lincolnton, North Carolina
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Nice Zoo”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

As many people have previously stated, the zoo is missing some of the larger animals. However, for the price this is a very good value. The enclosures allowed us to see some of the animals up close . The day we attended was very hot, so some of the animals were trying to stay cool and were more difficult to see. Overall, we had a very good experience and saw some interesting animals.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Derek R
Corbin, Kentucky
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Small but worth it!!”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

While it is a small zoo, it is well laid out, clean & well-kept, animals look healthy & clean. HIghly recommend !!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Scrappler46
Tennessee
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Small Zoo”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

It's not a big place by any means but it's still worth the trip. Great exhibits and they are growing and getting every year.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank douglas_s00
chattanooga tn
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Charming with room for growth.”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The best thing to mention first is the great price.Very low.Great for families,locals and tourist on a budget.The enclosures are great, because the animals are very close to the walking trail,for easy viewing.(At some zoos,the animals are so far away you can't see them well.) It is a small zoo though and we were done sooner then we thought.We were entertaining family from out of state and they were disappointed that there were not any Lions,Tigers,Bears,Sea Lions,etc.I understand that soon,they will be getting some Giraffes.That will be "great" ! My favorite part was the large Macaw Parrots,one of them kept saying "Hello" and "Goodbye" as you walk by.!! It was so..so..so Cool. !! I think the zoo and Warner Park probably has enough land space available, that maybe with time they can continue to expand and develope the zoo.Maybe money,research,and animal study programs will lead to growth.All in all, it was a very nice afternoon visit. Our guests really enjoyed it.

Visited August 2013