“Think we were invisible”

Sweet Basil Thai Cuisine
Ranked #112 of 842 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Been here many times. It's mediocre compared to big city Thai food. Could definitely use more spices. That being said...after being seated we waited 15 minutes and no one acknowledged us. People that came in after us were immediately given water and their orders taken. What do they think I'm chopped liver or something?? Geez! So, we left. Not one employee seemed to give a rip. the hostess smiled and said, "have a good night." Bottom line is...you really gotta drive to Atlanta for worthwhile Thai food. Chattanooga we need more "real" ethnic restaurants.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I enjoyed their pad thai. We were able to get take out, which was a very generous portion. We were able to eat it for two days! They also have weekly specials that keeps it affordable.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

As you will see from my other reviews for TN restaurants recommended by Trip Advisor, reviewers in TN really let me down. I should note that I lived in TN for 2 decades so this isn't an issue with me not knowing what to expect in TN.

As a group, we ordered a green curry, some sushi, and pad thai. Each of us had one bite of sushi and stopped. The pad thai was bland and the green curry tasted like it was out of a can. The only redeeming value was the nice waitress. Save your money and time and go elsewhere.

1  Thank serenityseekerFL
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Sweet Basil
5845 Brainerd Rd

With the demise of Royal Thai, Sweet Basil is arguably the most up-scale local Thai restaurant. The single room is open, bright and inviting. All tables and booths are mutually visible and there is a community-like feel when the room is full. Service is unfailingly friendly and efficient.
The menu offers the familiar and the less common. The somewhat limited offerings allow a better focus on what is served.
Appetizers ($3.75-6.50) run the usual gamut, but with two different satays and fish cakes. Soups by the cup or hot pot ($3.25-8.50) are the old standards.
Noodle dishes ($10.50-11.95) are limited, but the Pad Thai is a particularly clean, bright version with a nice “bite” of lime and subtle sweetness.
Salads ($5.95-9.50) may offer the best exposure to the type available locally, each with a different and refreshing dressing. Chicken, pork beef and green papaya salads are offered, the latter being especially good and traditional. While shrimp and squid salads aren’t listed, I suspect the kitchen would be happy to oblige.
A full range of curries and stir-fried dishes are served, and the curries have clear levels of flavor and multidimensionality. Recently, the red and green curries reflected their respective chili bases, and each had a hint of nutmeg. The Panang and Masaman have real depth of flavor and spicing.
Among the Chef’s Specials ($13.50-17.95) are two duck dishes, a traditional catfish in basil pepper-corn sauce, perhaps the best mixed seafood dish in town (brightly flavored light brown sauce with basil) and a spectacular whole fried fish with three sauces.
While there are several dishes on the lunch menu that are not on the dinner list, a dinner portion will be made on request and the Pad Pak Tofu is particularly worth while.
Heat varies a bit depending on who is in the kitchen, but the 1-4 pepper rating system is accurate (get at least 2 peppers). Condiments of ground pepper and pepper paste are served, and you can request fresh chopped chilies.
I have almost eaten my way thru the menu, and the consistency and quality are commendable.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

My husband and I went to Sweet Basil first on Tuesday, when they offered a special for 1 appetizer & 2 entrees for $20, and it has become a regular place for us to eat. Every dish I have tried has been fresh and delicious, and the atmosphere is wonderful for a quiet, stress-free dinnner.