“Best in the area”

St. John's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
St. John's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 833 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 13th St
Transit: Chattanooga's complimentary electric shuttle has a stop at the St. John's building.
Description: Chattanooga's most acclaimed restaurant, St. John's Restaurant serves inventive Regional American cuisine from Chef Daniel Lindley in a elegant, historic setting. St. John's superb staff will provide you with a warm and remarkable dining experience and delight you with an extensive and eclectic selection of wines.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Best in the area”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Always a pleasure to dine here. Excellent food, drinks, service and local ingredients to boot. I just wish I could afford to go more often. Still, it's always worth the price.

Visited September 2012

Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Perfect”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Looking for fine dining in Chattanooga? This is it! St. John's Restaurant is perfect.

Perfect? Really?!

Yes, I have absolutely no complaints, no issues at all, not even the tiniest thing that bothered me.

My wife and I went for her birthday, and the service was flawless from the moment we stepped through the door. The staff was warm and welcome, took our coats, and had my specially reserved table ready right away. We sat upstairs next to the window, which is the best table for two in town. You'll get a great little view of Market St and the rest of the restaurant without being in the middle of everything. The service continued to be excellent for the rest of the night: our glasses never emptied, nothing was served too late, and they were always just a moment away.

Now, for the food: it was perfect! We had the foie gras to start: it was especially perfect! At first bite, both of us were craving more. In fact, we really, really want to go again just for this dish. Then, we had the duck and the venison. Both were wonderful. At this point, my wife is already saying this is her #1 meal ever.

Finally, for dessert, we had the fried apple pie. I can only dream about making something so flaky, so deliciously balanced between tart and sweet. We were also served Jack Daniels ice cream for the special occasion.

I would absolutely recommend this place. Unless you "don't do fine dining", then this is a must visit. Is it worth the extra cost? Of course. Will I love it to? Not unless you hate food!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Bobby D
“Fantastic food, fantastic service!”
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

The ChristianCritic family arrived at St. John's, not knowing what to expect. High class restaurants aren't usually our thing, but this was a special occasion (my brother-in-laws college graduation). The prices are steep but the value is obvious. Not every family in Chattanooga can afford to bring the family to a place like this, but it's perfect for a celebration or a special date (with your special someone). Our server was Megan - she knew every detail of the menu and was obviously passionate about her work. Every moment she stopped by our table she greeted us with a smile! We began our dinner with a "Bob Jones" organic salad which was absolutely delicious - questionably the best salad I've ever tasted. Though we didn't order it, they provided us with salmon soup (compliments of the chef) which was also quite tasty. Each member of our party ordered a different entree - I ordered the flounder and it was savory. The portions were perfectly sized and I yearned for more! The atmosphere was great, quiet, and the seating arrangements are comfortable...well done St. John's...we look forward to returning soon.

1 Thank ChristianCritic
Asheville, North Carolina
“Excellent Chattanooga Choice for Fine Dining”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We were in town on business and were lucky enough to find this restaurant online and book a reservation only 1 hour in advance. When we arrived, a gentleman opened the front door for us. A host immediately greeted us and escorted us to our table.

We started with a bread basket with two different breads and some whipped butter. Both were outstanding. The butter was magic. We asked our waiter about it. He said it's just butter, but I'd love to know what brand or what sort of magic they did to make it taste so wonderful. The waiter brought us a second basket, too.

I had the scallops with grapefruit and vanilla bean. It was an amazing blend of flavor. I also tried the pork belly, which was cooked to perfection and served with a poached egg. Never in my wildest dreams did I realize that a poached egg could taste so good! The dish also came with a cornbread pudding, but I thought it had way too much onion flavor and needed to be toned down.

While waiting for our main course, we were brought an amuse bouche.

The restaurant served King Estate Pinot Noir from Oregon. Oregon has been gaining a lot of positive attention for their Pinot Noir. It was a delight to be able to try this by the glass. It did not disappoint!

My significant other had steak. He said it was the best he has ever had. I tried a bite and thought it was delicious.

I appreciate the way the waiter scraped crumbs off our table and promptly cleared dishes between courses. It's nice to not have a cluttered table. A gentleman opened the door for us when we left. Nice touches.

I do agree with other reviewers who note that the prices are a bit too high. I thought they were slightly high compared to other fine dining restaurants I've visited. However, in all, we had a wonderful experience here. Great service, great food, nice wines!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank alminavl
Chattanooga, TN
“Elegant, special place”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Never been disappointed at St. John's. For special occasions or no reason at all, impeccable preparation, presentation and service are always there.

• Visited October 2012