“Sunday Lunch”

Ranked #22 of 888 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: 1885 Grill is a southern coastal restaurant specializing in fresh seafood, quality steaks and southern sides. We are located in the beautiful St. Elmo neighborhood at the base of the Incline Railway and scenic Lookout Mountain, just minutes from downtown Chattanooga. Enjoy the mountain views from the patio or watch as chefs turn fresh, local ingredients into delicious creations. Join us for live music Tuesday through Thursday, as well as Sunday and enjoy our daily specials.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Great location in cool neighborhood, beautiful patio just right for listening to some old time picking and fiddle along with scrumptious food attractively served. Our cute waitress knew the menu well and her recommendations were spot on. My pimento cheese burger was a dream come true, juicy, just rare enough and the pimento cheese was amazing. It was garnished with heirloom tomatoes, onion and romaine. I chose the homemade chips and they were perfect. Not too thick, super crisp and just salty enough. My friend's veggie plate looked fabulous and she said it tasted as good as it looked. Collard greens, cheese grits and various grilled squashes made a colorful contrast. They had a Bloody Mary & Mimosa bar, which we did not try. Maybe next time, cause there will be a next time.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

My wife and I ate dinner there in October 2013. It was a Monday night and relatively crowded. The service was good. This is a place with both indoor and outdoor seating and they had live music that night. The prices were reasonable and the food was good but nothing special and the service was fine. We did not need a reservation. We were staying in Lookout Mountain and all the restaurants there are closed on Monday so this was the closest without having to go into Chattanooga. There was amble parking

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stopped in here Saturday at the unusual time of 5 pm. We were seated almost immediately, as they were only half full at best. The atmosphere outside was nice enough, though when the three Harley's started up and drove off you couldn't hear yourself think. Our server was a nice guy, knew the menu, but talked so fast we had to stop him several times just to understand the specials. We started with the beef empanadas appetizer, which was a little bland and might have even been a frozen product- not sure. Entrees were better. My wife had the 1885 burger with pimento cheese. Very good, she said, and cooked well. I had the special shrimp and crawfish étouffée which was tasty, though not as spicy as tou might expect for a Cajun dish. Also the tails were left on the shrimp (all 3 of them) so you had to use your hands in a very red, very messy dish.
I've read a lot of reviews for this place and I'm really not THAT impressed. I will say that for Chattanooga, this is a pretty good restaurant. But I just can't gush like these other people. We will probably come back at some point, and might even recommend it as worth a shot, especially if you want a sandwich, but that's the best I can do. Also, don't want to forget the long waits at our and other tables. Can't imagine how it would have been if they'd been busy.

1  Thank Bill F
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Wife and I decided to try out 1885 Grill. we went kinda late on a week night and were abe to be seated immediately. I had the fillet with scallops, Spanish rice, and roasted corn. The food was fantastic. The wife had trout with heirloom tomatoes and some other things on it. Her side was hushpuppies. I loved the trout and will try next time we go there. The hushpuppies had a different flavor, but were also a great choice. They have a bar with several special drinks to choose from as well. They have music on a regular basis, but we just happened to be there on a night without. This place is so good that it gets packed on a regular basis. Will go again soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I went for our 15th wedding anniversary dinner. Erock was our server and he was fantastic, giving us menu suggestions and helping us choose just the right items. My husband and I both had steak. I had the filet and he had ribeye. They were both perfectly cooked and very tender. The macaroni and cheese and collard greens were both delicious. The shrimp cocktail appetizer we shared tasted extremely fresh. This was the best meal of our stay in Chattanooga.

Miguel, the owner, came out to check on us and was so gracious and made us feel welcome and appreciated. He obviously is proud of his restaurant, and he should be. If we are ever back in Chattanooga, 1885 will be our first stop.