“This is my favorite restaurant in Chattanooga, TN”
Review of Old Saigon

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Old Saigon
Ranked #528 of 840 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I thought I liked thai food. I like that sour hot tropical flavor that you find in a lot of coconut milk based curries. For thai food you take lime leaves, coconut milk, some kind of curry powder, crushed peanuts or peanut butter, ginger, and hot thai chiles (if you want it that way) and you mix it together. Thai basil and a sweetener of some sort doesn't hurt either. Look, I understand. A lot of people have been to Rain Thai Bistro or the other thai restaurants in town, and some people have been to The Curry Pot or India Mahal or Sitar. What I'm here to say (wordily) is that if you like Rain Thai Bistro, The Curry Pot, India Mahal, Sweet Basil, Thai Smile 3, or anything like those restaurants you owe it to yourself to try vietnamese food at Old Saigon. This restaurant is on the level of The Partridge and the Pear at the Christmas Place in Pigeon Forge. These are the dishes of a Chef that knows the ins and outs of these flavors. These are savory flavors, sour hot flavors, and/or rich comfort food flavors. I have eaten no where better in this town. The atmosphere is calm. The people are friendly and authentic. The price is about a third the cost of rain depending on what you order because some portion sizes are very large. For a romantic date I recommend splitting the sour hot pot, which allows you to cook your own food at the table. If you want the experience of The Melting Pot but want to eat good food... Old Saigon is the place to come. Enjoy. I'll be there every week at various times enjoying the best restaurant in Chattanooga. For now I will write reviews, but I am trying to figure out how to do a little grass roots marketing for this place. It is a shame that Rain Thai Bistro is so busy compared to Old Saigon. Old Saigon undoubtedly has much better food (many, many people would agree with me if they tried it).

1  Thank DarkestOceans