“In search of great Bar B Que”

Hickory Pit Bar-B-Que
Ranked #22 of 826 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a small family owned business with only 5 tables inside and 2 out side. We try to make you fill like you are with friends.
“In search of great Bar B Que”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

To those who have never tried to create great BBQ it must seem like a simple task of cooking meat and then adding sauce. The best BBQ comes right off the smoker and is eaten while still hot. The best BBQ Restaurants usually have a large following and are constantly taking meat from the smoker and serving fresh, hot, and moist. The majority of the others have the difficult task of cooking the meat and holding it til ordered, sometimes hours and sometime days. The longer it is held, the drier it becomes. The dilemma, how to reheat the meat and make it taste fresh. I read the unbelievable reviews for the Hickory Pit BBQ in Chattanooga and decided that that many great reviews couldn't be wrong. I made the 1&1/2 hours trip from Georgia to try it out. I want to be fair to the restaurant and not trash it because I know how hard it is to do BBQ right. I honestly still can't rate the BBQ because it was drowned in sauce and apparently microwaved to reheat it for serving to me. If I had known this was the technique they used, I would have requested the sauce on the side so I could at least have enjoyed the meat. I had planned on buying a pound of chopped pork and bring back home for later. I still ordered the take out but requested the sauce on the side. In fairness, the meat minus so much sauce had a good taste. I was able to heat it slowly in the oven til warm and then add just a little sauce. The next time I go to the Hickory Pit, I will order the pork plate with the sauce on the side and give them a second chance.

• Visited August 2013
Mike F, Owner at Hickory Pit Bar-B-Que, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
I'm so sorry that your experience was not as good as you had hoped for. Please give us another chance and ask for the sauce on the side. We put the sauce on our meat when people order. Almost all customers want sauce on there meat. I will agree with you it is better with little or no sauce. We do not leave sauce on the tables because it is cold, and when I put a small amount on our meats customers seam to always want more not cover up the tast, just they like to DRINK sauce. Putting more on to start with is just easier, not necessarily correct. Thanks again for trying our food. Mike

South Lyon, Michigan
“Delicious and budget friendly!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had the killer baked potatoes! Mine was stuffed with pulled pork and hubby's was chicken...amazing! The service was wonderful and they were happy to chat with us and offer advice on what to see in the area. Very small (5 tables), patio, and a drive-thru. Loved the food, service, and atmosphere!!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Very Competent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We're Memphis/Arkansas pork BBQ fans and the Hickory Pit was very good. Not the best we've ever had but properly done, very tender fall-off-the-bone pork BBQ and wonderful pulled pork. The place is loaded with atmosphere and a real standard with locals. This includes friendly folk, including the kids waiting on people. Great hand made signs, falling-down steps, ramshackle shack, and the incredible smoky smell pervading the neighborhood. It's very easy to get to off I75 or I24 and is an even easier return. This will be our standard stop when we go through Chattanooga.....they even have a drive-up.

1 Thank RickMIusa
Detroit, Michigan
“Good travel stop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were just passing through Chatanooga and needed a quick dinner not too far off of the highway. Not only was it easy to get to, the food was fantastic and the whole staff could not have been friendlier. It's not fancy, but it's also very reasonably-priced and quick!

• Visited July 2013
“Cozy atmosphere and Great food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Best BBQ! Stopped for dinner and was not disappointed. My friend had ribs, cole slaw and green beans. She loved everything! Definitely try the cole slaw as a side!!!!! I had the pork, baked beans and tater tots. Every bite was delicious! Home cookin' that fills you up!!!!!! Great service!!!!! Highly recommend!!!!!!!

• Visited July 2013