“Good mexican with an enormous menu”
Review of La Altena

La Altena
Ranked #121 of 875 Restaurants in Chattanooga
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Visited this restaurant on a Sunday.
The menu is enormous and takes a while to fully understand. The portions are gigantic. Should have shared. Had the beef and chorizo burrito, and it is very good, flavorful, and sufficient for two average eaters. The wait staff is prompt, efficient and solicitous.
But, if you enjoy red wine with your meal, try elsewhere, as they show it in the menu but do not carry it. Prices are about average for tex-mex restaurants. The steak was very flavorful but tough.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I visited Sept. 2012 based on the reviews on Tripadvisor. La Altena has the potential of being a very good Mexican restaurant but didn't stand up to the review. It was slightly better than average. The pork carnitas were tried based on the reviews. Good but not great. Worst yet was the heavy MSG and sodium level. I'm not sodium conscious in any way since I'm in very good heath and don't have any high blood pressure issues. However, it was very apparent in the mean almost to the point of being inedible. Service was good and the waitress seemed genuine in wanted to assist with a good meal experience. The gentleman that occupied the register and finished attending to me table seemed extremely occupied with trying to impress me with his singing of Mexican songs that were playing in the restaurant. I search out good Mexican retaurants (I live in Atlanta) when I'm not in Texas or Mexico. I'll hold off in returning as there are better options. It's is not easy to find some great TexMex restaurants or authentic Mexican restuarants in and around the Atlanta area or fairly easily commutable area. I need the Mexcican food fix when I'm not in PVR, CUN, PCM, SJD or Texas. However, and as I mentioned, there are better options.

1  Thank 65Letsgo
Reviewed September 20, 2012

In my personal experience, some of the best restaurants, especially ethnic ones, are little hole in the wall places. La Altena is no exception. But I've eaten at the downtown location dozens of time and I've never had a less than wonderful meal and experience. This is a family run restaurant and the people who work here are all very nice and a lot of fun too. The guacamole is the best I've ever had in my life and I could go there and just eat the guac and chips (it has cilantro which I love!). All the food is great that I've ever tried and servings that are not too small and not too big. The homemade salsa is very tasty as well. There is street parking and a lot across that street that you can park in after 5. I highly recommend them for true Mexican food, not some Americanized version.

1  Thank inthevortex
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Ì went here a few times trying to see the big deal but I felt like I was in any other mexican restaurant in Chattanooga except the building was a lot more run down and dirty. The food was average to above average but I would hesitate to let my dog go to their public restroom. Overall, there are a lot better choices for Mexican fare in Chattanooge.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

For the second year in a row i visited Chattanooga for a business conference, and I made sure to visit this restaurant again. I truly enjoy Mexican food and this is one of the best I've had outside Mexico! I paid $15 taxes included for a huge plate of carnitas with lots of sides, a Margarita as well as nachos. Love it!